Daytona 500 Smoke on new setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daytona 500 Smoke on new setup

For a first run on the mods I made to my Great Smokey Mountain cabinet smoker I used these guys.

Dos Victims getting loaded up

Then a dose of MH

And into the fridge O/N

This little project started off with the best of intentions. Make that little cabinet more efficient and versatile. What I now have is a propane burner with a slide accepting a grill wok as a coal basket. Idea was to start the charcoal and/or wood with the propane, do the first part of the smoke with the coals for flavor and after wrapping the butts pull the coal basket and run propane for the end.

Since it is the first time I use this setup I goofed around a bit and let the wood burn down too much. That much wood in that little cabinet was like lighting an afterburner and it was about an hour before I got the temp down and stable. With less wood and judicious use of the propane burner I would guess that I should be able to fire it up with the propane in about two or three minutes, and have decent wood coals in 15-20 minutes or so at which point close down the bottom vents and smoke for hours just adding a chunk as normal.

I used a mix of hickory and mesquite and because I was watching the race didn’t close off the vents quick enough and the stuff pretty much burned up. So, I turned the propane on low and just put in chunks from time to time to get smoke a augment the heat. The temps were very easy to control and I keep it around 24 the entire time.

This is about 4 hours into the smoke when I inserted the probe.

I have never smoked with propane before so I just finished the smoke on propane as a fuel source with an occasional chunk of hickory.

This is what they looked like after resting in the cooler for about two hours. The internal temp was 170 after two hours in the cooler wrapped in a towel.

Got about a cup and a half of golden juice in the fridge and pulled the meat. This is the pork pulled without any finishing sauce, or the juices put back.

The meat was moist as it was. Tender and juicy. BUT I will have to say the flavor is not the same as a strictly charcoal and wood smoke. To me there is just some little thing missing that is captured with a good wood smoking. Also the smoke ring is not as deep or pronounced using the propane. It really is a different thing depending on what you use for fuel and I guess also by what I have read from you guys, the flow and circulation of heat and smoke makes a difference.

I’m new to this new fangled, modern smoking deal so I have to re-learn my southern heritage and develop skills to put out a good feed. Although the two times I have smoked butts both have turned out excellent with great taste there is a difference and would depend on individual taste as to the degree one would enjoy it. Most of the folks I know would be a few beers down and the simple fact that it’s party time and the pig is done would make either of these methods successful but I want EXCELLENCE. Sick Ain’t it.
    Last edited by Sidewinder; 02-26-2011, 01:21 AM.
    Great Smokey Mountain Cabinet Smoker
    Brinkman Smoke N Grill
    Discada 22" Cowboy Wok
    BBQ Galore 3 burner Gas Grill
    Good Coffee pot and a sub zero cooler full of beer

Perhaps a bit of compromise... but ya nailed it. Sick it ain't. Bravo!

When you got the time and the money, get back, get back...get back to where ya once belonged. 'Till then, don't hang her head, sir.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Well sir, it looks good from here!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Thanks Hawg .... it was good. Just figured I would share my thoughts about my experience and the learning curve.

Hey, it tastes great just not exactly what I wanted but a start.

In fact I'm eating a samich from it right now. Mmmmmm.
        Brinkman Smoke N Grill
        Discada 22" Cowboy Wok

Comment

Originally posted by Sidewinder View Post
          Hey, it tastes great just not exactly what I wanted but a start.

In fact I'm eating a samich from it right now. Mmmmmm.
          Thing about this addiction...the mistakes are usually quite edible
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Dern sure look's good! Stay after it!
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

WOW! ..... Looks good from here!
              sigpic

Comment

Thing about this addiction...the mistakes are usually quite edible
                Yea, your'e right about that Rich. I once burned a big ol chicken almost to it's kindling point. That thing was a serious member of the crispy critter club. I knifed it and outer core peeled off like a walnut. Underneath was some of the best tasting yard bird I believe I ever had. I guess I got to it just in time.
                Brinkman Smoke N Grill
                Discada 22" Cowboy Wok

Comment

Looks good to me, nice first run in the new cooker

Comment

I'd get after that ..Looks good and add that golden juice There is nothing sic about our passion It's just the competitive nature within us.....Next pit fuel only

Comment

Originally posted by Checkered Past View Post
                      I'd get after that ..Looks good and add that golden juice There is nothing sic about our passion It's just the competitive nature within us.....Next pit fuel only
                      Yea I wonder about that juice. I put it in the fridg like suggested here and the fat formed just as said. Scooped the fat off and there was the gel. I only heated up a portion as I am freezing the majority of the meat.

Then I put the juice back into the meat I was going to eat and put vinegar based finishing sauce on half and just left the other half without the finishing sauce. I then minced part of it and added SBR's BBq sauce and all of it was good. Now I can't figure out which I like the best.

I froze the remainder of the golden liquid to use as I eat on the frozen bags of pulled pork. Just wondering now about how long that liquid can stay frozen or should I just put it all back into the pork before freezing that? I'm kinda leaning towards putting that liquid back in before bagging and freezing which I would have done to begin with but I wanted to try some of that juice in some gravy.

What's the verdict from the group. Put the juice back in no matter what you are going to do with the meat or hold it seperate?
                      Brinkman Smoke N Grill
                      Discada 22" Cowboy Wok

Comment

yep I would sit down at that pan of PP and make a fool of myself..looks delish.I do know what your saying though the butt I do in my pitt using charcoal as afuel sorce has what I call a deeper or richer flavor than that done in my gasser.I feel the charcoal is adding that little extra that makes the differance,but like you said when the budies are half way through the second box of beer they thing I am the BBQ king...lol
                        sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                        members mark upright propane smoker
                        kingsford bbq
                        23"weber kettle

Comment

Originally posted by Jimh View Post
                          yep I would sit down at that pan of PP and make a fool of myself..looks delish.I do know what your saying though the butt I do in my pitt using charcoal as afuel sorce has what I call a deeper or richer flavor than that done in my gasser.I feel the charcoal is adding that little extra that makes the differance,but like you said when the budies are half way through the second box of beer they thing I am the BBQ king...lol
                          Thanks Jim, I will likely use the propane just to start the coals and use after the meats are wrapped from now on. I just had to do a little trial and error and although I would hardly call what turned out an error, I do prefer the flavor provided by the wood and coals.

Next victim is likely the brisket I have been aging in the refrigerator for the last two weeks. I should have done it today but slept in and I don’t want to start eating a midnight. I’m kinda curious as to what burnt ends will taste like.
                          Brinkman Smoke N Grill
                          Discada 22" Cowboy Wok

Comment

Working...
                          X