Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 3 year old is about to have a better smoker than Daddy!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 3 year old is about to have a better smoker than Daddy!!!

it kinda pisses me off, but she's worth it i suppose... lol. ever since she was old enough to walk, she has followed me around, especially when there is a chance for her to get some food out of the deal. as last summer progressed, she found out that the smoker is the source of all yummy things, and he "habbit" only got worse. lol. it was kinda sad to see her get out of her sandbox one day, go to the fridge smoker, and ask for some ribs... the smoker wasn't even fired up and i had no intention of cooking anything in it at that point. lol.

anyway, he birthday is coming up on March 22nd, and she has always wanted to be daddy's little helper and wanted to be next to the smoker and/or firebox. well, daddy decided to keep her out of the way and make her own little smoker for her cooking enjoyment (and daddy's fuel conservation for "small" batches of food). i don't plan on letting her run free with the baby beast for quite a while, but i figured it wouldn't hurt to teach her the finer points of ABT production, Armadillo Ball creation, and Fatty conception. during the initial planning stages, i found out that this bad boy will even fit a whole slab of spare ribs and possibly a little extra room for other goodies.

that being said, her party was originally scheduled for March 26th... plenty of time for me to weld, paint, and season the smoker. after a little talking with my aunt, my wife decided to push it up to the 12th. needless to say, i freaked a little bit and started going at this thing, balls to the wall. if all goes according to plan, it should still be able to produce some tasty morsels by the party.

enough with the intro... here are the pics so far:

here's what we started with. it is an exhaust Y-pipe to twin together 2 massive generator engines. if need be, i should have enough material to easily make 2 smokers.

we start hacking away at some pre-determined dimensional positions to make the tubes:

then i cut out some blank-off plates (2 of the 4 are shaped a little funky to allow for the proper air flow):

(the spatter will be cleaned up before the final painting)

weld the fire box and smoke chamber together, cut the doors, and go to bed. it was pretty cold last night, especially after the nice weather we had recently...

tonight, i plan on getting the legs welded to the frame and weld in the diffuser plate. i already have everything cut... i just need to start slapping it all together. by this weekend, i should be ready to have the initial burn-out and get ready for paint. the hard part will be getting the temps high enough to lay the paint... it is only supposed to hit about 40 here this week...

Later,
    Andy
    Current babies:
    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
    -RichTee's Lang :)
    Former Lineup:
    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Nice. Did you want to adopt a 38yo boy? He's potty trained.....
    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

That's pretty slick, Andy. What happened to the manifold anyway? Is the bottom flange cracked?
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
        Nice. Did you want to adopt a 38yo boy? He's potty trained.....
        and a 56 yo boy. Some what housebroke and won't need a diaper for at least 20 years.

Can't wait to see some more pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          That's pretty slick, Andy. What happened to the manifold anyway? Is the bottom flange cracked?
          thanks guys. i hope to get the vast majority of it done this week and get it burned out this weekend.

My buddy was the project manager/superintendant for this job and he told me that nothing was wrong with the parts... if you look at the first pic, you can see the large corrugated tubes sitting next to the Y-pipe. those are the flex connectors to go from the generator stacks, and they bolt up to the flanges on the y-pipe. the Y is actually sitting upside down in that picture... it's pretty top-heavy. from my understanding, the generators didn't line up just right, or they needed to route the exhaust differently for some reason... i dunno for sure. all i know is that they had a custom stack welded together for the generators and they were just going to scrap these that came with the engines. they are 10" diameter pipes that are routed to an 18" "main".

Later,
          Andy
          Current babies:
          Former Lineup:
          -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)

Comment

Damn fine build!! What a great daddy you are!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Lucky Lucky little girl. The funny thing is if she is acting up you can threaten to take away her smoker. haha
              Propane Smoke Shack
              UDS
              Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
              sigpic

Comment

That'll be nice. Same as my daughters birthday, 34 years

Comment

Nice!! I'm thinking I should have encouraged my 17 year old to take welding at tech instead of electro mechanical...
                  Mustang electric smoker
                  King Kooker vertical gasser
                  Charbroil silver smoker
                  Earnhardt Jr smoker
                  Brinkman smoke n' grill
                  a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Very cool - you are gonna have a lot of fun teaching her how to use that
                    Scarbelly

Comment

LOL I am in the same situation. My 4 YO wants a smoker just for him and his 2YO sister. Told him he has to wait until my trailer is done..

Looks like an awesome "little" project. Looking forward to the finish
                      BBQ catering
                      Competition BBQ team
                      "Practical BBQ" Author

Comment

Get down ya Metal Welding Daddy! Uhh mine's 36 & she can hold her own with the smoker or grill...
                        Sunset Eagle Aviation
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Good for you man! Thats how BBQ gets better and better, pass on the knowledge, your daughter will be kickin' your butt in no time, courtesy of you!!!

Comment

thanks guys. i just wanted to stop in and check the board before i went out and started working on it all again. after feeling the local temps this evening, i dunno how much i will be getting done for sure, but only time will tell. if i can at least get the legs and diffuser plate done, i'll be happy.

Later,
                            Andy
                            Current babies:
                            Former Lineup:

Comment

That is awesome!

Your daughter and my son sound like they may have been separated at birth. Well, separated by about 6 1/2 months. He can't get enough of the smoked goodness. From ribs to salmon, he can't get enough.

Are you going to offer these on your site, also? I may have to order one.

Looks like it will be some great daddy/daughter time!

for being a rockin' daddy!
                              Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
                              Modified Chargriller RF
                              250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

Working...
                              X