Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MH jerky cure-MH jerky cure/yoshida's and CBP-MH jerky cure/SW spices and chipotles!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MH jerky cure-MH jerky cure/yoshida's and CBP-MH jerky cure/SW spices and chipotles!!

first off i have never made jerky in my life....i have been a jerk, i have beat a jerk's ass, and i have ....well nevermind! the point is i have never done this before so i may be the perfect guinea pig for this trial.

i made 3 different kinds since joe public will always mess with things so i thought i would do the same with one of them being the original recipe for a baseline. what i did was make the original recipe for 2.5# of meat (i used bottom round sliced 1/4" thin and then cut into 1/2" strips) and then i split the batch into 3rds. the 2nd 3rd, i made added 2T. of yoshidas and 1t. of coarse black pepper for a more "traditional" flavor. the last 3rd was a SW blend of spices and 2t. of ground chipotles from my garden......i wanted some heat!
    bagged up and i let cure for 19-20 hours....

racked them up and used bourbon oak barrel in the AMNS...

kept the temp between 150-170 for about 4-5 hrs.....

the original MHJ.........

MHJ/yoshida's and CBP.....

MHJ/SW spices and chipotles.....

now for the results, there is a reason why i have never made jerky......i'm just not a fan of it! that being said, just like everything else we make at home.....it is much better than the store bought crap! this cure was easy to use and at first i'm thinking this ain't gonna work......but what do i know? i ain't made it before! the mix called for red wine so i used a merlot and i think it worked well.....not too bold but it gave the end product a really nice flavor. at first there is the mild smoke, then the meat and then the wine/spice flavors that are reminiscent of the store bought crap but on a much more higher and refined level with a nice lingering finish that is sort of fruity from the wine....kinda like the U.K. steak sauce "HP" with out the sweetness. if some of you have tried this you will know what i'm talking about. i will say that one of the things that turns me off to the store bought stuff is the saltiness that over powers everything not this one. over all i think this is a solid profile for the masses and it is easily tweeked like i did with the other 2 flavors.

i'd have to give this one the chef's thumb's up!
    sigpic
    it's all good my friend..........

Very nice review and congrats for loosing your virginity
    All kidding aside job well done and I Would like a taster

Comment

Nice job Rob!.... Good review and I agree with you about the flavor balance, as compared to the store bought jerky and salty taste. Good stuff!
      sigpic

Comment

Very nice! Glad you got the chance to make jerky, and appreciate a decent stick. How did your other flavors work out? I'd not mind a hunk of that SW/Chip stuff :{)

Thank you Rob!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

OK that made me want to make some jerky..I'm off to look for recipes.
          "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            How did your other flavors work out? I'd not mind a hunk of that SW/Chip stuff...
            the other flavors are great, i would double the yoshidas for more of that teriyaki flavor but the SW chipotle was my favorite full of great flavor and it has a nice kick!
            sigpic
            it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Good Lookin Jerky
              Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
              Weber 22.5" WSM
              Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
              Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
              Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
              Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
              Weber Smokey Joe
              GMG Daniel Boone
              Pit Barrel Cooker
              Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
              6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
              Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
              The Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Doug S. View Post
                Good Lookin Jerky
                I'll second that!
                Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
                Modified Chargriller RF
                250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

Send me bag of the chipotle jerky..i am running low....Good looking stuff man....

Comment

I just wish I could find Yoshida's here... Haven't been able to get any in years.

-Michael Dow
                    ---
                    Michael Dow, D.C.
                    Houston, Tx

Comment

Working...
                    X