Cajun Jambalaya

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cajun Jambalaya

With Shrimp, chicken, homemade Tasso and green onion sausage.

5 quart dutch oven

1 lb. chicken thigh meat
    1 lb. med. shrimp (head/shell on gulf if you can)
    1 lb. green onion sausage (if you can find it)or use recipe below.
    1/2 lb. Tasso (got a great recipe if ya need it)
    1 onion
    1 green pepper
    4 cloves garlic (some say 2 is enough )
    1 quart chicken stock + 1 cup water
    2 cups long grain rice
    1 bunch green onions
    1/4 tsp Tony Cachere's creole seasoning
    2 Tbs. veg. oil
    fresh ground black pepper

Green Onion Sausage
    1 lb. pork steak cubed
    4 green onions
    1/2 tsp Tony's creole
    1 tsp Tyme

I throw it in my food processor pulse it till blended. Then make small meatballs with 2 spoons. May need a small amount of water to get it moving.

Now to make some Jambalaya!

Heat the DO then put in the oil and the chicken thighs. Season with the Tony's and black pepper. Cook low and slow scraping the goodness off the bottom as you go. I chop up the chicken with a wooden spoon as i go. Then i don't have a chicken coated cutting board to deal with.

Peel shrimp and put the shells in the stock and water. Bring up to a low boil and turn it off and let it sit.

When the chicken is coming apart add the fresh sausage balls and brown. Then the Tasso cubed.

Remove the meat but leave the goodness in the bottom. Drain a little oil if the sausage was too fatty.

Add 3/4 the veg. saute till soft. Put the meat back in and add the strained stock. Bring to a boil, add the rice, stir and bring to a low boil again. Should happen quickly. Throw in the shrimp and the remaining veg.. Stir, Cover and reduce heat to low. Wait 25 min. (don't peek!)
    Fluff with a fork and serve with chopped green onion garnish and a bottle of Tabasco.

Enjoy!

This recipe is 10 years of testing tasting and being cussed by Cajuns that said a midwesterner couldn't make good Jambalaya.But they came around eventually!
    "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Nice looking recipeI would take the Tasso recipe.Thanks Hippy
    sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

I'd hit that! ...... What do you think of that Green onion sausage?
      sigpic

Comment

I frkn love green onion sausage. I could have it for breakfast lunch or dinner.

In Louisiana i would buy the green onion sausage fresh at a local store. I have been experimenting with recipies to make it for a while and this seems to be close. The measurements are aproximations. I can't run a measuring spoon?

Got a 2 month old that isn't happy with less than 100% of my attention. Will have to post the Tasso recipe later.
        Last edited by Hippy; 02-24-2011, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Interesting. Not sure about the green onion sausage in jambalaya. I like green onion sausage on the grill. I usually use andouille sausage.
          Stumps Baby
          Bubba Keg Convection Grill
          Digi Q
          Gasser with 4+ yrs of dust
          Custom end grain cutting board
          Superfast Yellow Thermapen
          18 " Smoke Vault
          12" AMNTS
          AMNPS
          Newbie beer brewer

Comment

When using Tasso for the smoke flavor and spice, fresh sausage makes more goodness in the bottom of the pot than andouille.

Comment

Have you tried smoking your chicken to get the extra smoke flavor?
              Stumps Baby
              Bubba Keg Convection Grill
              Digi Q
              Gasser with 4+ yrs of dust
              Custom end grain cutting board
              Superfast Yellow Thermapen
              18 " Smoke Vault
              12" AMNTS
              AMNPS
              Newbie beer brewer

Comment

I have tried many many combinations but i like the amount of smoke from the Tasso.

I believe you need the fresh chicken and sausage to create the goodness that builds up in the bottom of the pan to get the most flavor into the rice.

Comment

Originally posted by Critterhunter View Post
                  Nice looking recipeI would take the Tasso recipe.Thanks Hippy
                  Here is my Tasso recipe good for 5 pounds of butt cut into 1 inch thick steaks. I trim most of the fat.

3 Tbs. Kosher salt
                  3 tsp. cayenne
                  4 Tbs. Paprika
                  1 Tbs. Granulated garlic
                  2 Tbs. Fresh ground black pepper
                  1 Tbs. white pepper
                  1 tsp. cinnamon
                  1 Tbs. Brown Sugar.

Heavilly coat the pork and put in fridge wrapped for 3 days.
                  Take it out and put on a rack over sheet cake pan for 3-4 hours in the fridge to dry. Smoke low and slow 5-6 hours.I usually don't get it above 185 degrees because the sugar will burn. I use mesquite lump charcoal and chunks of pecan or apple. In a special made hippy trash smoker. Cool on a rack and let it dry again. Then vac seal and freeze.

Great in Red beans, gumbo,jambalaya,cheese grits,macncheese,greens,etc......

Comment

Thanks for the Recipe
                    sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Thanks for the post Hippy copied and pasted it.
                      JT

Comment

Oh yeah looks like you need to add in some cure in there for that Taso. Not tryin to screw up your recipe but it's a safety thing. 1 tsp instacure would do it and you'll probably never notice it. Maybe a little texture change.
                        JT

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                          Oh yeah looks like you need to add in some cure in there for that Taso. Not tryin to screw up your recipe but it's a safety thing. 1 tsp instacure would do it and you'll probably never notice it. Maybe a little texture change.
                          I have seen 8-10 different Tasso recipies and have'nt seen cure in one?

I figured the salt, smoking, vac sealing and freezing would be enough.

I use it as a seasoning and cook it into something after thawing.

Do you still need a cure?

Comment

Originally posted by Hippy View Post
                            I have seen 8-10 different Tasso recipies and have'nt seen cure in one?

I figured the salt, smoking, vac sealing and freezing would be enough.

I use it as a seasoning and cook it into something after thawing.

Do you still need a cure?
                            I have seen them without cure too. But I've seen them with cure. The issue is the low and slow method in the smoker. You need to be able to get the meat out of the 40 to 140 degree range inside of 4 hours. that's the magic formula. If you can do that and then treat it like fresh meat, then no, you don't have to cure it.
                            JT

Comment

Thanks for the input!

I always just used it myself and didn't worry to much. But now we have a little one and have friends that take some so I might look into starting out a little hotter.

Comment

Working...
                              X