Pasta lesson, day two.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pasta lesson, day two.

Ok, well I made it through my first pasta attemp. Had about 7 spectators watching. I was hoping when I showed up with my new KA someone there would have experience with pasta, , ,nope, , not a one. A room full of foodies and not one of em was a baker or pasta maker. Every one of them said that they had always wanted to do the pasta gig but never got around to it. The funny thing was that they were all delighted at my every screw up, and felt very comfortable pointing out what they thought the problem was They had a beautiful pot of bolognese waiting for some noodles. Finally got some semolina flour fettecinni on the plates and everyone had a bunch of fun, drinking good wine and watching me fumble around.
    So here are my questions/observations. Please feel free to contradict any erroneous conclusions I come to.
    First Kitchen Aid puts out lousy recipes. The semolina recipe was way off on moisture content, I had to add a lot more water. The spinach recipe was way too moist I had to add a lot of flour.
    Never thought about resting the dough. Should have posted this thread much sooner.
    Seemed like there was a huge difference between the #1 roller setting and the #2 and it was very difficult to get from the thicker to the thinner setting without it doing very funny things.
    I completely screwed up with the recipes and just managed to get it done thru determination.
    Any recipes/formulas would be most welcome and do you all use the "well" method or do it in the mixer?
    I know this all seems elementry to some of you but I was still in day care when it comes to pasta and last night was my first day in kindergarten and it was a little frustrating, , ,fun, , ,but frustrating.
    No comments are too obvious or elementary.
    JT

My basic egg dough is 3 eggs and 300 grams of flour. If it seems too dry I add a little bit of water.
    I don't do the well thing anymore. I can't tell that that makes any difference. I just mix it up and walk away for at least 30 minutes.
    I guess this comes from my bread baking. The autolese of the flour/water is allowing the gluten to develop. I guess that is what mixing the dough slowly with the well method is doing, I don't know.
    Anyway, after the dough has autolesed for at least 30 minutes I just start sending it through the machine and allow the machine to do the kneading. I send it though on 1 for 5 or 6 times folding it like an envelope every time.
    I had an old pasta machine that gave this direction; to allow the machine to do the kneading on the "1" setting, just fold it in 3rd and keep sending it through until it is elastic.
    Then I just start reducing the setting and making the dough.
    Try it again and pm me for my phone # if you have questions.
    Oh, for the spinach flavor, or beet, or squash, beans whatever I use baby food. Get the organic and it's just pureed veggies.
    An extra large egg weighs about 2 oz so if you want to replace one egg with baby food veggies use 2 oz of baby food and 2 eggs.
    HTH
    "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Baby food? Now that's a great tip. Thanks Mo
      JT

Comment

Now that was as easy as I thought it should've been last night! Great tip Mo, I just needed to walk away from it. Also the dough was a much better consistancy. Thanks again Mo and everyone who replyed on my other thread, I appreciate it.

JT
        JT

Comment

Working...
        X