Fricaseed Squirrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fricaseed Squirrel

I ate this growing up and forgot all about it. then found this recipe in the historical society recipe book. Also was amazed, it was the recipe of an old relative of mine, now long gone.

Fricaseed Squirrel

2 squirrels, cut in pieces
    1 TSP salt
    1/4 TSP Pepper
    1 cup flour
    7 slices of bacon, chopped
    2 TBSP chopped onion
    1TBSP lemon juice
    2/3 cup of water

Skin and clean the squirrels, cut in pieces. Rub pieces with mix of salt and pepper. Roll in flour, pan fry with chopped bacon for at least 30 minutes. Add chopped onion, lemon juice and water, cover tightly. Cook slowly for 1 and 1/2 hours till squirrel is tender

This was the recipe from the 1890's - early 1900's of my great-great Aunt Emma. My grandpa used to make this and we all loved it. Gonna have to shoot a few squirrels and try it again.
    sigpic

Bacon makes everything better ;{)
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Bacon makes everything better ;{)
      No doubt, best meat to put in your mouth and cook with
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
        No doubt, best meat to put in your mouth and cook with
        on that note will hijack your thread... found this from the dude that started making kellogs corn flakes and his opinion on pork.... and even a michiganite... musta never had a pulled pork sammie is what i figure...

http://www.giveshare.org/Health/porkeatdanger.html
        Charbroil SFB
        GOSM
        MES
        Dutch Ovens and other CI
        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
          on that note will hijack your thread... found this from the dude that started making kellogs corn flakes and his opinion on pork.... and even a michiganite... musta never had a pulled pork sammie is what i figure...

Dr. Kellogg promoted vegetarianism.
          Nuff said.
          Now back to the regularly scheduled thread - My dad used to make squirrel dirty rice and gumbo. Boy that's been a while, good stuff!
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I got some nice lookin ones hangin round me bird feeder...Timely thread...

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
              I got some nice lookin ones hangin round me bird feeder...Timely thread...
              No time like the present. And, no present like time...

Yes, that was me. Well, other than a Sci-Fi writer I just looked up.
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

My grandad always fricassee'd his squirrels. They were very good.
                And his panfish chowder was really good too, (more bacon)

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post

Erain, talk about a man on a mission.lol. I think he was muslim and I will never eat corn flakes again.
                  sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                  nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Quote...

In the case of no other animal is so large a portion of the dead carcass utilized as food. It seems to be considered that pork is such a delicacy that not a particle should be wasted. The fat and lean portions are eaten fresh, or carefully preserved by salting or smoking, or both. The tail is roasted; the snout, ears, and feet are pickled and eaten as souse; the intestine and lungs are eaten as tripe or made into sausages; black pudding is made of the blood; the liver, spleen, and kidneys are also prized; the pancreas and other glands are considered great delicacies; while even the skin is made into jelly. In fact, nothing is left of the beast, not even the bristles, which the shoemaker claims. Surely it must be quite an important matter, and one well deserving attention, if it can be shown that an animal which is thus literally devoured, and that in such immense quantities, is not only unfit for food, but one of the prime causes of many loathsome and painful maladies. Let us examine the hog a little, and see what can be determined respecting his real nature, and his office in the economy of nature, if he has any

Unquote. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      Quote...

In the case of no other animal is so large a portion of the dead carcass utilized as food. It seems to be considered that pork is such a delicacy that not a particle should be wasted. The fat and lean portions are eaten fresh, or carefully preserved by salting or smoking, or both. The tail is roasted; the snout, ears, and feet are pickled and eaten as souse; the intestine and lungs are eaten as tripe or made into sausages; black pudding is made of the blood; the liver, spleen, and kidneys are also prized; the pancreas and other glands are considered great delicacies; while even the skin is made into jelly. In fact, nothing is left of the beast, not even the bristles, which the shoemaker claims. Surely it must be quite an important matter, and one well deserving attention, if it can be shown that an animal which is thus literally devoured, and that in such immense quantities, is not only unfit for food, but one of the prime causes of many loathsome and painful maladies. Let us examine the hog a little, and see what can be determined respecting his real nature, and his office in the economy of nature, if he has any

Unquote. Wow.
                      LOL!!! but heh, he is one a ya own... i with kyote and think i no eat corn flakes any more...

oh, Dan... love the fricassed tree rats... havent had any in a long time but mebe this fall have to take the old rimfire out and drop some... there seems to be alot around, i dont think they get hunted like back in the day... good stuff bud. sorry about the sidetrack!!!
                      Charbroil SFB
                      GOSM
                      MES
                      Dutch Ovens and other CI
                      Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                      Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

That sounds good...mom would always make squirrel pot pie with ours...
                        Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Never had squirel before. . .and don't tell me it tastes like chicken. Always willing to try somethin new though.
                          JT

Comment

Another thing to sidetrack us; How did it get the name Fricaseed?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
                              Another thing to sidetrack us; How did it get the name Fricaseed?
                              FLC says; fricassee is a dish of meat, usually chicken that has been sauteed in butter before being stewed with vegetables. The end result is a thick chuncky stew, often flavored with wine.
                              It is also used as a verb, as in to "fricassee a chicken.
                              "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Working...
                              X