Smoker Design/Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoker Design/Construction

So I have officially started my latest (and hopefully last) business venture... making custom smokers & grills, as well as "standard" style smokers similar to Yoder smokers. With the vast knowledge, experience, and willinginess to help from the best forum on earth (this one of course. lol), i have decided to use you all as a focus group of sorts... you guys have brought me this far, and i have only scratched the surface of what is out there for me to learn and gather.

My first dilema is what should be on the "ultimate smoker"? with the hundreds of types of smokers in the world, each with pros and cons, configurations and adjustments, it is impossible to please everyone. However, i think it would be great to have some input on this.

my first thought was to make a decent sized trailer mounted unit, or a simple backyard offset. the biggest problem with this is the fact that every other company makes them, and for good reason. simple design, easy to notice, and they work great if taken care of and tuned properly. with that being said, i think there would still be a good market for these and would like to pursue it, along with a few other ideas that we will get into later.

however, for now, if you guys could build a smoker, what are some of the options you would choose? sizes, fuel sources, reverse flow or tuning plates, etc... i am looking for a "money is no object" build here. I have a special goal with this smoker and want it to be at the pinnacle of smoker design and construction. this will obviously be a cornerstone build for me and my new company, so i want it to be at the top of its game.

anyway, what are you ideas? like i said, i have a few other smokers in mind that i would like to make as "standard models", but an offset should be a good starting point.

Later,
    Andy
    Current babies:
    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
    -RichTee's Lang :)
    Former Lineup:
    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

I'll keep it simple.....Hands down the best and easiest smoker I have worked with is my insulated up-right reverse flow smoker....Never to much smoke flavor, and never to little, Fuel consumption is a minimum at about 3/4 a bag of royal oak and some chunks of apple or hickory for 10 solid hours of smoking if not longer(@275 for HH briskets). I might do one adjustment in that time as well.(don't forget this smoker has over 17.5sq ft of cooking space)...sorta a set it and forget it smoker, I think I tended to my MES more then that. Obviously the one draw back is you can't do whole hogs but everything else is fair game.
    Jerod
    GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
    sigpic

Comment

i was just in the market for a smoker and i woulda bought an UDS from the whitearc guy if he hadn't been making all his money on shipping. he was offering a basic unit for $ 120 which i figured was a fair price probably $ 50 -60 bucks profit for him, but $ 79 shipping is crazy.

i'd say you could make a run of 6 UDS and sell them at comps pretty easy.

Comment

UDS - basic and simple. Other than that, has to be a type of cabinet smoker burning lump. Offsets look nice, but heat flows up. Straight up is the best way, thats why cabinets and UDS all smoke better and use less fuel. I like my UDS, boy do I ever. But I think I like my cabinet I built just a little bettre. Thicker metal means lot better flavor and lower fuel bills. I would like to insulate it one day. So there is my suggestion, something along the lines of a UDS to sell at the comps to pay for gas and op costs, then a few nice cabinets to really be the showpice and money maker. Uninsulated lower prices, insulated being deluxe model and a higher cost.

Good luck to you, economy is hard right now.
        sigpic

Comment

i dont know anything about building smokers but i do know what i like. so if you would just let me brainstorm or daydream a little bit...

i do like my vertical smoke the best and i have often thought reverse flow like BBQE's backwoods knockoff would be great.

i have often pondered if you could do something like that with some kind of side firebox.

insulated is not a must but it would improve the year round operation.

properly sized air flow dampers would great. they are to small on my char-griller SnP and to big on my gosm.
          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I truely appreciate it. I was thinking that the insulated smokers would be my bread and butter as I have seen very few of them for sale in the past... besides the digital contolled ones that is. The few that I have seen in person have all been pretty "cheap-feeling" and were loosely built it seemed like... lots of room for improvement.

After thinking about it, I have a feeling that I will be making more trailer-built offsets than backyard smokers. Only time will tell I guess. I have a few connections to the "money is no object to me" clients and hope to get involved with them by the end of the year... let's put it this way... one of the potential clients commissioned my "connections" to build a $40,000 desk with a built in, motor-actuated recessed LCD TV with monitors and the computer also built in... the kind of stuff you only see in james bond movies. Lol.

Anyway, keep the ideas flowing. I'm making notes and plan on doing some R&D soon. I just got my final pipe price quotes today, so now I can start setting my prices. If all goes according to plan this evening, I should be able to put some prices together for finished smokers tonight and have them published by tomorrow morning.

Speaking of R&D, what do you guys thing of a 4' or 5' UDS made from 24", 30" or 36" pipe? With a door on the side rather than a lid and mounted on some nice big casters, a wide base, and a table on the side? Just thinking out loud...

Later,
            Andy
            Current babies:
            Former Lineup:
            -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)

Comment

Good luck with your smokers...That UDS sounds like a good idea.
              Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

I think what i asked you about last fall would be a killer.5-6' of Wsm with a vertical rotisserie.I belive by rotating the meat in the verticle chamber you would eliminate all hot spots and much more evenheat means still want to figure it out
                2-22.5'' weber
                1-18'' weber
                1 smokey joe
                22.5'' wsm
                24'' smoke vault
                1-outhouse
                Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post
                  I think what i asked you about last fall would be a killer.5-6' of Wsm with a vertical rotisserie.I belive by rotating the meat in the verticle chamber you would eliminate all hot spots and much more evenheat means still want to figure it out
                  yeah yeah yeah... lol. don't worry buddy... i got it down on paper... just gotta get it into the computer to fine-tune the stuff. give me a couple weeks and it'll be good to go.

Later,
                  Andy
                  Current babies:
                  Former Lineup:

Comment

my dream smoker is definitely an upright reverse flow unit.
                    sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                    members mark upright propane smoker
                    kingsford bbq
                    23"weber kettle

Comment

Only seen one in operation but the Langs are pretty cool
                      2-22.5'' weber
                      1-18'' weber
                      1 smokey joe
                      22.5'' wsm
                      24'' smoke vault
                      1-outhouse
                      Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                      Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
                        Speaking of R&D, what do you guys thing of a 4' or 5' UDS made from 24", 30" or 36" pipe? With a door on the side rather than a lid and mounted on some nice big casters, a wide base, and a table on the side? Just thinking out loud...

Later,
                        Andy
                        Along the lines of this one?

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7642

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...t=11304&page=2

I think they are fricking AWESOME!!!

Comment

goddamit! i try to come up with something original, and you guys go and out-do me again. lol. that's almost exactly what i was thinking... a little wider, a little shorter, and put the fire in the bottom, rather in the side. if you had the ability to improve on that, what would you do to it? it obviously gets the job done... i want to go live in that barn. lol

Later,
                          Andy
                          Current babies:
                          Former Lineup:

Comment

Langs SUCK!!!
                            Only seen one in operation but the Langs are pretty cool
                            Jerod
                            GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                            sigpic

Comment

I DON'T THINK SO...YOU HAVE DIFFERENT HOT SPOTS DEPENDING ON THE LEVEL YOUR MEAT IS AT(oops on the caps)...with that being said a well built upright has no REAL hot spots just a even/uneven temp all the way up. Obviously the top will have a temp difference then the bottom do to heat rising (damn physics). but it should only be about a 15-20 ndegree dif
                              Last edited by GOT14U; 02-28-2011, 11:19 PM.
                              Jerod
                              GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X