A-Mazin-smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-Mazin-smoker?

Hey all. I have a 30" MES. I am wanting to try smoking some cheese. Should I get the small AMNS or would I be better off getting the big one. I was wandering what you all thought.

Big. One can always "underload" but never "over". Just sayin'.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

For cheese, a lot of guys will smoke for 3 hours or less. I went 4 because I love the taste of smoke, but 4 was a little much. If you only plan on smoking cheese and never plan to use you AMS for anything else, go for the small. I don't have one and never plan on getting one, but they definitely have a place.

Instead of spending the money on one, I just used a big pinapple juice tin can, popped some holes in certain spots, filled it with wood chips, lit 2 or 3 briquettes on top, put the top of the can back on, and closed the smoker... 4 hours later, the smoke died off, I pulled the cheese, and I was pretty happy. I still have the can too, just in case I decide to smoke some cheese again.

Later,
      Andy
      Current babies:
      -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
      -RichTee's Lang :)
      Former Lineup:
      -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
      -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
      -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
      -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
      BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

or..you can have a stainless AMS unit and use it forever. I just don't go thru that much pineapple juice.
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          or..you can have a stainless AMS unit and use it forever. I just don't go thru that much pineapple juice.
          Fine then smartass... get a bunch of spam containers out of rich's garbage can, wash 'em up, and you'll be set. Lol

I guess, in theory, one of them heinekin mini-kegs would work pretty slick... I might have to look into finding someone to drink the heiney for me though... lol
          Current babies:
          Former Lineup:
          -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)

Comment

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
            Fine then smartass... get a bunch of spam containers out of rich's garbage can, wash 'em up, and you'll be set. Lol

I guess, in theory, one of them heinekin mini-kegs would work pretty slick... I might have to look into finding someone to drink the heiney for me though... lol
            Pick me... Pick Me....
            Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
            Weber 22.5" WSM
            Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
            Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
            Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
            Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
            Weber 18.5" Kettle
            Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
            Weber Smokey Joe
            GMG Daniel Boone
            Pit Barrel Cooker
            Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
            6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
            Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
            The Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by aczeller View Post

I don't like that beer either. And Spam cans ain't 304 stainless. Or anywhere close I think?

Comment

Doubtful... if I remember correctly, I think they actually have some sort of liner in them. I've only had spam once in my life and have no plans to ever even look at a can again. Lol
                Current babies:
                Former Lineup:

Comment

I have both the 6X6 and 6X8 AMNS and love them. I use them in my MES30 for cheese and also hot smokes. They are much easier to use than loading chips in the MES every 45 minutes and they will go for hours and do a spectacular job of putting out smoke.
                  Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                  My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                  @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Buy the 6X8
                    "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Hey thanks guys. I went ahead and got the big one there wasn't much price difference. Thanks again sorry to bother you all again

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        or..you can have a stainless AMS unit and use it forever. I just don't go thru that much prune juice.
                        Go Big!
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I would recommend getting the 6x8 if you are only getting one...

Comment

Originally posted by Beer-B-Q View Post
                            I would recommend getting the 6x8 if you are only getting one...
                            Exactly...I bought the small with the 3 lbs of dust and the torch, only to turn around and order the bigger one with 15 lbs. Yes, I like it that much.
                            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by wtrfwl havoc View Post
                              Thanks again sorry to bother you all again
                              Sheet... we like to be bothered. And DON'T bother us at yer own risk. Just sayin'

Comment

Working...
                              X