Something to ponder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something to ponder

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about bacon. He was a production manager at a meat curing,sausage making plant in wisconsin. Their bacon was only cured for a day under pressure. I forgot to ask how much pressure but he thought a day in a vacuum seal bag for bellies would be plenty....any thoughts ???
    Last edited by GOT14U; 03-02-2011, 08:17 AM.
    Jerod
    GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
    sigpic

i dont know, I do know that the rules I have learned on this site work just fine for me
    sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
    members mark upright propane smoker
    kingsford bbq
    23"weber kettle

Comment

Just plan ahead

Comment

It's not about planning ahead. I don't care if it needs to stay there a month, that's fine with me. I am just wondering if this sounds right which I have no reason to doubt him. And it does make sense. It also got me thinking "is the meat getting over cured?"
        Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
        Just plan ahead
        Jerod
        GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
        sigpic

Comment

I do know that commercial processes differ from those available to the home/hobby guy/gal. In a commercial setting, they would have a HACCP plan, and would be using a proven method that is generally recognized as safe, meaning that if they follow their procedures, the product that comes out finished will be safe, wholesome and fit for human consumption. I have not yet seen a process or procedure for the home meat curer that calls for a overnight cure in a vacuum. Not saying it does not exist. Just my 2 cents...
          Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

good points IC, i have no knowledge of commercial processing but i wonder of the ingr./chemicals used and their concentrations as wellas the amount of pressure to help speed things up. also couldn't they be injected as well..........
            sigpic
            it's all good my friend..........

Comment

I did ask him about injecting and he said they did not inject bellies due to how thick they were. I will see if I can find out what pressures they used. He also told me it tumbled very slowly over night as well.
              Originally posted by chefrob View Post
              good points IC, i have no knowledge of commercial processing but i wonder of the ingr./chemicals used and their concentrations as wellas the amount of pressure to help speed things up. also couldn't they be injected as well..........
              Jerod
              GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
              sigpic

Comment

interesting jerod, commercial manufacturing of food products is always fascinating to me.
                sigpic
                it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                  interesting jerod, commercial manufacturing of food products is always fascinating to me.
                  And if the average consumer knew how it was done, they would never eat......
                  Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by GOT14U View Post
                    I did ask him about injecting and he said they did not inject bellies due to how thick they were. I will see if I can find out what pressures they used. He also told me it tumbled very slowly over night as well.

at work we used to make bacon / hams , etc etc using a vacuum / tumbler machine that drawed / messaged the cure and ingredients into the meats in a short amount of time , allowing for quick production , not sure of the pressure used though
                    sigpic
                    homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )

Comment

Not much to add to this other than a big 2ND to JimH... AND I've never gotten sick from store bought bacon... and we all know that shat has been spit, pissed... did I say that , dropped on the floor, sliced, diced, packaged and sold to us for years!

G14U... you sig line is driving me crazy!!!!!

Comment

Good ? Jerod.
                        When I make my B.B.B I vac. pac. & still go for 14 day cure.
                        Terry here
                        Still have Christene

Comment

unless it says 'dry cure' on the packet over here - it definitely hasn't been dry cured.
                          So either a brine type cure or injection.
                          And curing under pressure is slightly different than curing in a vacbag.
                          If you're curing in a positively pressurised container the liquid is forcibly being pushed into the meat. If in a negatively charged chamber then the meat effectively sucks the liquid in to equalise the pressure differential.

However If you're squeezing in a vac-bag then you don't have the pressure gradient you'd have in a container - the meat is being compressed from the outside in which will aid in cure absorption, but slower and less efficiently than in a pressurised chamber.

Are those tumbler things any good ? one of the local shops has something very similiar to that reveo thing for about £15.
                          It's not very big - but for marinading steaklets or meat for kebabs I was thinking might work.
                          The theory is sound, obviously it would only be a weak vacumn, but still better than nothing I reckon.
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                            I do know that commercial processes differ from those available to the home/hobby guy/gal. In a commercial setting, they would have a HACCP plan, and would be using a proven method that is generally recognized as safe, meaning that if they follow their procedures, the product that comes out finished will be safe, wholesome and fit for human consumption. I have not yet seen a process or procedure for the home meat curer that calls for a overnight cure in a vacuum. Not saying it does not exist. Just my 2 cents...
                            Not just 2 cents. Right on the money IC.

Without the plan, proceedure, equipment, recipe and enviornment, there is no way that an overnight cure is a good idea. Your friend might be well intentioned but you probably know a bunch more about home curing than he does. All he knows is what they told him to do, not why he's doing it. Whole lot more to this story than what he told you. Stick with the fundamentals.
                            JT

Comment

I'm sure it would have tons of variables to consider
                              Originally posted by T-bone Tim View Post
                              at work we used to make bacon / hams , etc etc using a vacuum / tumbler machine that drawed / messaged the cure and ingredients into the meats in a short amount of time , allowing for quick production , not sure of the pressure used though
                              I'm just waiting for rich to give me another...lol...and we all know what happens with our food
                              Originally posted by WALLE View Post
                              Not much to add to this other than a big 2ND to JimH... AND I've never gotten sick from store bought bacon... and we all know that shat has been spit, pissed... did I say that , dropped on the floor, sliced, diced, packaged and sold to us for years!

G14U... you sig line is driving me crazy!!!!!
                              That what it is just a question and something to think about. I'm not planning on changing anything just thought it was more interesting then anything
                              Originally posted by morkdach View Post
                              Good ? Jerod.
                              When I make my B.B.B I vac. pac. & still go for 14 day cure.
                              I have seen those tumblers but never used one, sorta the same idea tho.
                              Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post

Are those tumbler things any good ? one of the local shops has something very similiar to that reveo thing for about £15.
                              It's not very big - but for marinading steaklets or meat for kebabs I was thinking might work.
                              The theory is sound, obviously it would only be a weak vacumn, but still better than nothing I reckon.
                              He's not trying to get me to change anything we were just talkin and I was pondering the physics behind it.
                              Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                              Not just 2 cents. Right on the money IC.

Without the plan, proceedure, equipment, recipe and enviornment, there is no way that an overnight cure is a good idea. Your friend might be well intentioned but you probably know a bunch more about home curing than he does. All he knows is what they told him to do, not why he's doing it. Whole lot more to this story than what he told you. Stick with the fundamentals.
                              Jerod
                              GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X