Question on 'dirt' choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on 'dirt' choices

I am going to build a raised bed for my wife's first garden out of 8 foot landscape timbers.

The part I am unsure about is what stuff I should buy to put inside of it. Do I just fill it with bags of topsoil? Does it need peat moss or any of that other stuff?

It's just going to contain Tomatoes, onions and some herbs this year if that changes what needs to be in it.

Thanks in advance.

edit: I am just going to build it one landscape timber high since the soil underneath the container is good grass bearing soil.

well for a first year plot you're definitely going to need some sort of nutrients.

You got compost ?

Alx can probably ship you some :-)
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

If you're building it on good grass bearing soil, you may want to put some plastic under your planter. When that grass starts to come up with your tomatoes, it's almost impossible to pull. Guess how I know that.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Louie filled her raised bed's with Miracle Grow soil from HD. Also add compost from my small ALX style compost bin.
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

i have square foot gardening by Mel Bartholomew, somewhere around here

it has a recipe for "dirt" in it. i'll try and find it after supper

they also make a landscape fabic to use in the bottom that will block grass but allow water to pass through.

link to the square foot gardening on amazon in case you are interested
          http://www.amazon.com/All-New-Square.../dp/1591862027
          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

If ya wanna follow old Mel's square foot gardening go 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite. Awesome soil!!
            ~Phillip

"Okay Hunny, so my hobby is collecting other hobbies. Atleast I'm well rounded!"

Comment

Originally posted by ptt49er View Post
              If ya wanna follow old Mel's square foot gardening go 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite. Awesome soil!!
              phillip you are da man

thanks a million
              Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

You're welcome! Good Luck!!
                ~Phillip

"Okay Hunny, so my hobby is collecting other hobbies. Atleast I'm well rounded!"

Comment

Marcus...I would go easy on the peat...it will bring the pH way down and then you'll be adding lime to try to get it back to somewhere neutral...I would just use some topsoil mixed with compost...Mel Bartholamew is a crackpot
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

A crackpot he may be, but his methods seem to work.....
                    ~Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by ptt49er View Post
                      A crackpot he may be, but his methods seem to work.....
                      And a crackpot I am for sure
                      My methods work for me...
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

You might see if your area has a community compost site. Usually you can get some compost there for cheap or free.
                        Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                          And a crackpot I am for sure
                          My methods work for me...
                          Care to divulge your secrets? ;-)
                          ~Phillip

Comment

Compost and topsoil always worked for us. But we have our garden in 25 gallon feed tubs and stacks of tires. Doubt that makes a difference. Tires work great for plants that need more water. The water that they collect pools up in the tires instead of passing through the dirt, so the plants root grow out and into the tires. Also helps to keep the roots cool. But the peaches & cream corn still goes in the ground.

Also, if anyone is interested I have the Mother Earth A-Z Gardening E-book. Its too big (40 MB) to attach here. If you want it, I'll need your email address. Its a pretty good guide on all kinds of vegetables.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
                              Compost and topsoil always worked for us. But we have our garden in 25 gallon feed tubs and stacks of tires. Doubt that makes a difference. Tires work great for plants that need more water. The water that they collect pools up in the tires instead of passing through the dirt, so the plants root grow out and into the tires. Also helps to keep the roots cool. But the peaches & cream corn still goes in the ground.

Also, if anyone is interested I have the Mother Earth A-Z Gardening E-book. Its too big (40 MB) to attach here. If you want it, I'll need your email address. Its a pretty good guide on all kinds of vegetables.
                              Tires huh? That's a really good and unique idea. Thanx. As for type of soil. No offence to any of the good advice here, but you might want to check with your local nursery. They may know something particular to your climate that will impact your soil choice. Also good lanscape folks can give you some area specific info and have access to large quantities of dirt. For example our soil requires gypsum as an amendment. Pretty common around here. My two cents.
                              JT

Comment

Working...
                              X