Avacados

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avacados

I love avacados but up here where I live when you go to buy them at the store they cost a fortune and they are always hard as a rock.

I can leave them out for days and they don't soften up at all.

Any ideas?
    Chargriller Pro w. sfb
    Ducane 4100 propane grill
    Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Originally posted by lynsey123 View Post
    I love avacados but up here where I live when you go to buy them at the store they cost a fortune and they are always hard as a rock.

I can leave them out for days and they don't soften up at all.

Any ideas?
    If I cant find ripe ones I stick them in a brown paper bag for a day or two. ripens em right up.
    Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Thanks,

I'll try that.
      Chargriller Pro w. sfb
      Ducane 4100 propane grill
      Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

I put them in the back of the veggie drawer till they get soft. Sometimes takes a couple weeks.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
          If I cant find ripe ones I stick them in a brown paper bag for a day or two. ripens em right up.
          this is how i do them as well....works great with bananas as well
          Mike
          Oklahoma City
          22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
          Weber 22.5 Performer
          GOSM 3405gw
          Boomer Sooner Drum
          Maverick ET-732
          Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
          A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
            Double ditto!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Don't apples give off a gas that help ripen other fruits if placed in a paper bag together. Just thought I heard that.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                Don't apples give off a gas that help ripen other fruits if placed in a paper bag together. Just thought I heard that.
                I do, butt you don't wanna sit in a paper bag with me when I do...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

The boys have you going in the right direction Herb... Just toss them in a brown bag with a nanner, Let the ethylene gas do the rest.. Should be ripe in just a few days..
                  Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                    The boys have you going in the right direction Herb... Just toss them in a brown bag with a nanner, Let the ethylene gas do the rest.. Should be ripe in just a few days..
                    And get on some of Pop Pop's Shrimpacado...
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Ok maybe it was a banana that helps ripen, just thought it was an apple or pop pop.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                        Ok maybe it was a banana that helps ripen, just thought it was an apple or pop pop.

Basically almost all fruit and veggies produce ethylene gas, just seems bannanas create more...
                        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Since I live in the self proclaimed "Avocado Capital of the World", I have some experience with avocados. We keep them on the kitchen counter in the light so they last longer. When we are ready to use them, we put them in a brown paper bag with a bananna - we change the bananna daily for a few days to get better gassing and the bag goes into a dark dry place. This can take from a couple of days to a week depending on how green the avos are when you start.

The avocado should be soft, not mushy to the feel. We eat them almost daily on salads and such pretty much year around here.

Next month there is an avocado festival in town that will draw about 80K so if anyone is interested let me know and I can get you the details. There will be everything from plain avocados to fried to icecream. There is always a guacamole contest too.

Here is a link to some info on avo's
                          http://www.avocado.org/
                          Let me know if I can help
                          Last edited by Scarbelly; 03-09-2011, 12:01 PM.
                          Scarbelly

Comment

Working...
                          X