Bacon slicing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacon slicing ?

I'm sittin here, lookin at the bacon posts and started to wonder. Does it matter how it is sliced? I mean, there is no grain so to speak like a brisket, just layers. Layer of fat, then meat, more fat then meat and so on. When people square up a belly for smoking, would it matter if you sliced the short end vs. the long end?
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

I would think the appearance might change but I doubt it would taste and different.

Comment

I thought you asked this before...but since I dont remember the answerThanks for askin again...

Seems I heard on BBB that slicing it the wrong way would cause it to curl in the pan...I dunno...........
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Yes smoke freak, there is a difference in slicing BBB, as I found out LOL. One way will curl up on ya, but I can't remember which way now

I was wanting to do a belly bacon, wasn't sure if it should be sliced lengthwise (front to back) or from top to bottom. I have read where some people sliced it lengthwise but I wondered why. My thinking was it is just a series of layer upon layer and wouldn't make a difference. Unless like BBB, slicing one way vs. the other would result in curled up pieces after cookin. Does that make sense? Or am overthinking this one
        https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

MH - I have no idea on BBB, but hope the answer comes before me and Bassman start slicing ours..

On belly bacon, I think there is a difference in the texture/eatablity... Having cured about 70#'s of it over the last two years, I slice mine top to bottom because the majority of the big meaty muscles run that way... think about the last time ya gutted a critter, you cut with those thick stomache muscles, not against them.

that's the way I do it.

Comment

what I found is its a little bit tuff is sliced with the grain
            sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
            members mark upright propane smoker
            kingsford bbq
            23"weber kettle

Comment

Personally, I haven't noticed a difference in either appearance, texture or flavor when I've reversed slicing direction. I've purposely tried both.
              sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
                Personally, I haven't noticed a difference in either appearance, texture or flavor when I've reversed slicing direction. I've purposely tried both.
                Me too. I actually just eyeball the best fat to meat ratio and go that direction.
                JT

Comment

On my bellies I've just looked at the different sides and slice them the way that looks like typical bacon...I think my second batch I may have had one part sliced the other way, didn't notice a difference in texture, but one end was really fatty and the other end really lean.
                  Mustang electric smoker
                  King Kooker vertical gasser
                  Charbroil silver smoker
                  Earnhardt Jr smoker
                  Brinkman smoke n' grill
                  a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

I always slice across the grain - but it's pretty much habit.
                    Haven't tried any other way.

I would expect it to curl up though.
                    Mind you on belly bacon the muscle is fairly weak, so might not make much difference

I usually make loin and on that it makes a helluva lot of difference.
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

As the belly lays on the pig, I always slice it top to bottom.
                      Keith

Comment

Working...
                      X