My first UDS project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first UDS project

once again nice to meat <grins> you all. This is my first UDS so I thought I might bring you along for the ride and maybe apply any suggestions you might have as suggestions are always apprciated if not always used.

The barrell, was food grade and held coconut oil. A friend has a chocolate factory and goes through a few of these a year, kinda a scared about what seemed to be an epoxy coating <liner> though. here it is before the burn, during and a big old dead cheery tree in the back yard begging for this smoker.
    Attached Files
    “Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”

to the island
    looks like a great start on a drum you're going to love it.....
    now what i did was i built my drum fittings and all because i didnt use stainless just the zinc coated stuff after i got it built than i burned out my drum and i get them hot just like what you are doing in fact so hot the drum becomes transparent....that should take care of any zinc on mine been cooking on and aint dead yet...
    keep posting pics of the stages
    and yea that cherry tree would have been gone a long time ago
    Mike
    Oklahoma City
    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
    Weber 22.5 Performer
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum
    Maverick ET-732
    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Lookin good so far. Keep the progress pic flowing
      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

The dreaded liner. Hope it burns out for you.
        Keith

Comment

hmm

I have not heard of the Zinc thing. I am using BLK Iron pipe not galvanized, is this still a problem?

PS it is a very big tree, hope to get a while out of it :)
          “Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”

Comment

Originally posted by Karkas View Post
            I have not heard of the Zinc thing. I am using BLK Iron pipe not galvanized, is this still a problem?

PS it is a very big tree, hope to get a while out of it :)
            Good to go with black iron pipe
            https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Get er Hotter than Louie at Talladega! You on it!
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

muratic acid will eat out the liner but it produces nasty fumes so do it outside.

Comment

Is that the lid I see in the fire? Be careful because the lid will warp bad from heating it up, just use wire brush in grinder for the lid.

Comment

Welcome to S-M. I just picked up a barrel and going to start a UDS build myself for the first time. I'll be watching this!
                    sigpic

GOSM/propane
                    UDS (Cam)/lump
                    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                    Weber Genesis/propane
                    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Rats!

The burn out only did half the job, what a bummer.

Thanks Pandemonium, the lid was fortunatly unharmed. I saw them burning the lid in a U-Tube on how to make one and like a lemming I followed along.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Karkas; 03-15-2011, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Burner

Off to HD for a weed burner
                        Attached Files

Comment

Much better

A few hours and a little propane and we are seeing metal. I even as a newbie do not reccomend these barrells as the epoxy (whatever) coating is a bitch to remove. If you do get it red hot like as said above it does come out though. On to the next phase
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Karkas View Post
                            Off to HD for a weed burner
                            I got that same burner...That thing will get after it!
                            Sunset Eagle Aviation
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Yup

yes, the weed burner did work well. One thing I did notice though. I started with a little less then I would say 2 gallons of propane in a 5 gallon (20#) tank. After 10 minutes or so I was certain I felt a drop in pressure and the going was slower. This was not acceptable so off to the propane company and had it filled to the top.I questioned the gentleman who filled it and he said there should be no difference in pressure but once I got back home and lit it up again wow it was really going again and Buster (see pic below) decided it was way to noisy now and headed back inside the house fast. I recomend a full bottle of gas when starting out, your milage may vary.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X