RF vent question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RF vent question....

We have demolished a mechanical room, and I snagged a bunch of 6" and 8" pipe and valves. The BBQ calculator call for a vent of 4. My question is over sizing the vent going to be a problem?
    The four seasons

salt
    pepper
    mustard
    vinegar

Chargriller Pro w. sfb
    Orion Cook
    Big Easy
    Eastman Turkey Fryer
    2- refrigerator smoker in progress
    1- RF trailer build in progress
    UDS
    Brinkman Gourmet
    Great Outdoors Gas

One of them Metal Cat Daddy's need's to get on this?
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by etcher1 View Post
      We have demolished a mechanical room, and I snagged a bunch of 6" and 8" pipe and valves. The BBQ calculator call for a vent of 4. My question is over sizing the vent going to be a problem?
      as long as you have a valve to control air flow there should be no problem
      sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
      members mark upright propane smoker
      kingsford bbq
      23"weber kettle

Comment

With reverse flow it's all about having no choke points in airflow. I make sure that the inflow and the outflow have the same capacity in area, and that the gap at the end of the plate is 10% more area than the inflow and outflow. You can dampen the airflow with both the inlet and outlet plates when you start to play with it.
        BBQ catering
        Competition BBQ team
        "Practical BBQ" Author

Comment

over sizing to a point will not be bad. your air inlet controls how much air is coming in, so you can choke it down that way. Look at the high end Jambo pits....no damper what so ever on the smoke stack, because it is built air tight and only need to control what is coming in. That in turn controls what is coming out. I would worry more about choke points and air eddy's then going from a 6" to a 8".

Also you are looking for volume, so if your 6" inch was suppose to be 30" of pipe and you went with a 8" inch pipe the figures might work out to be something along 24" long or so. just figure out the volume of your pipes
          Jerod
          GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
          sigpic

Comment

i concur... either your intake or exhaust should have some sort of damper on it for air flow control purposes. I prefer one on each side, but that's just me. the air can't escape if it's not being let in.

the other way to look at it is that if it's not being let out, it's not able to come in.

also, like Jerod said, it's not just about diameter, but it's also about volume. do the math and you should be good to go with whatever size of stack you want to use.

Later,
            andy
            Current babies:
            -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
            -RichTee's Lang :)
            Former Lineup:
            -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
            -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
            -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
            -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
            BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
              i concur... either your intake or exhaust should have some sort of damper on it for air flow control purposes. I prefer one on each side, but that's just me. the air can't escape if it's not being let in.

the other way to look at it is that if it's not being let out, it's not able to come in.

also, like Jerod said, it's not just about diameter, but it's also about volume. do the math and you should be good to go with whatever size of stack you want to use.

Later,
              andy
              True but I've found that choking the exhaust and not the intake can make for a bitter smoke.
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                True but I've found that choking the exhaust and not the intake can make for a bitter smoke.
                I'd agree with that.

I've found with the couple smokers that I've run, I am way better off controlling the air coming in and not trapping any in the chamber.

Our two cookers that we currently use have dampers on the chimneys. I always leave them wide open when I'm cooking. The only reason I close them is to keep the wasps and other shitty little creatures out when in storage.
                Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
                Modified Chargriller RF
                250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.
                  I do a lot of scrounging, so I can't be picky.

Originally posted by new smoke View Post
                  I'd agree with that.

I've found with the couple smokers that I've run, I am way better off controlling the air coming in and not trapping any in the chamber.

Our two cookers that we currently use have dampers on the chimneys. I always leave them wide open when I'm cooking. The only reason I close them is to keep the wasps and other shitty little creatures out when in storage.
                  My thoughts exactly about those little creatures!
                  The four seasons

salt
                  pepper
                  mustard
                  vinegar

Chargriller Pro w. sfb
                  Orion Cook
                  Big Easy
                  Eastman Turkey Fryer
                  2- refrigerator smoker in progress
                  1- RF trailer build in progress
                  UDS
                  Brinkman Gourmet
                  Great Outdoors Gas

Comment

Unless it is a upright insulated smoker...then you have to, but no nasty taste at all. The spicewines and backwoods are like this sorta a different monster then any other smokers.
                    Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                    Jerod
                    GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X