Made Jalapeno Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made Jalapeno Jerky

Had the day off on Monday so decided it was time to smoke some jerky I had curing. I wanted to try the High Mountain jalapeno blend (saw it at BPS and impulsively bought it). Sliced up about 12lbs of venison roasts, mixed it all together and let it sit overnight. Only did one layer in the smoker this time (I sometimes stand jerky screens on wine corks to get a second layer going at the same time) and therefore only got about half of it done. Will finish the rest next week when I get another day off.

After the meat starts shrinking I consolidate and add more, hand testing pieces along the way to check for doneness.

Here is the first two installments in the smoker.

Ended up with about three lbs of finished from aprox 6lbs wet. The finished pic is really dark and not worth posting.

Overall, I like the blend. It has a nice jalapeno flavor with just a bit of heat to it. I'd use it again.

Thanks for checking it out.

Dave

I seen that stuff at BP, Dave. ALMOST picked some up, but figgered I'd take a run at it when the japs come in first. Probably should just buy it...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      I seen that stuff at BP, Dave. ALMOST picked some up, but figgered I'd take a run at it when the japs come in first. Probably should just buy it...
      It's good. Trying to get away from any type of seasoning mixes these days though. It was an impulse buy like I said cause I love the jalapeno flavor. No regrets. Only one would have been NOT spending the day drinking beer next to the smoker on my day off!

Dave

Comment

Nice looking stuff Dave ..... I have not had a Hi Mountain sausage or jerky kit that I have not liked yet, good stuff IMO.
        sigpic

Comment

Nice!!!

Originally posted by GratefulDave View Post
          ...I consolidate and add more, hand testing pieces along the way to check for doneness.

Mmmmmm...I want that job!!
          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
          Pink Thermapen
          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Good looking jerky Dave.

Glad you got to spend a day off tending the smoker...it is like therapy to me. Gives me the strength for another week.
            BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
            Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
            I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
              Good looking jerky Dave.

Glad you got to spend a day off tending the smoker...it is like therapy to me. Gives me the strength for another week.
              Amen to that brother!
              This time was really cool too because we have a lot of Bald Eagles migrating through behind all of the Snow Geese that are resting on the lake and ice. We've had many times in the last few days where we can see 3-6 at one time, and just this morning I watched a juvenile and adult chasing each other, locking in mid air, and air-tumbling to the water. So I just sit back with my binoculars and watch the show.

Hmmm, what shall I smoke on my next day off?

Dave

Comment

Very nice Dave....

Comment

Good looking Jerky Dave.
                  sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Looking great Dave, got me craving some...
                    Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
                    Weber Performer
                    Weber 22.5" OTG
                    Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
                    Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
                    Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
                    BBQ Food Truck

Comment

Good looking jerky dave gonna have to give it a try I have been looking at the hi mtn seasoning for a while just have not got any yet will do some soon thanks for posting

Happyness is a full smoker

Comment

Originally posted by salmonclubber View Post
                        Good looking jerky dave gonna have to give it a try I have been looking at the hi mtn seasoning for a while just have not got any yet will do some soon thanks for posting
                        The High Mountain kits are all pretty good IMHO.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by GratefulDave View Post
                          The High Mountain kits are all pretty good IMHO.

Dave
                          I have tried a few of them and they are good just have not tried the Jalapeno yet I like the Cracked pepper and garlic Summer sausage kit it some great stuff

Happyness is a full smoker

Comment

good looking shit Dave -love hi mountain all the way
                            2-22.5'' weber
                            1-18'' weber
                            1 smokey joe
                            22.5'' wsm
                            24'' smoke vault
                            1-outhouse
                            Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                            Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Working...
                            X