Smoked goose breast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked goose breast?

Anyone ever smoked some goose breasts? I think I am going to give it a shot. Just curious if anyone new how long a guy should smoke and what temps? What is the ideal internal temp of goose meat? Any info would be great. Thanks

My old room mate in college days used to make jerky outta them..... Not sure of the brining process, but he smoked & dried them in a Little Chief smoker & it was outstanding stuff.
    sigpic

Comment

From what I know goose (wild) is pretty dry and on the tough side. It's poultry so it needs to get to 165° F. Best recipe I've heard of marinated it in Italian Dressing (salad dressing), but that was used in a stew not smoked.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Better off using it for jerky or sausage. I've tried smoking sky carp a few times, and it just isn't worth it, if you are looking for something moist, tender and enjoyable.
        Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

"Sky Carp"... LMAO!!!
          sigpic

Comment

Wonder if brining overnight would help tender up that "sky carp"

Comment

The recipe I mentioned before with Italian dressing is marinated for three days. Sounds like the vinegar opens a path and lets the oil and spices in, might be worth a try. It was really good in a stew.
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Sky carp... that's funny right there!

Never tried smoking one of them critters... in my experience, they aren't very juicy and have a tendency to tickle the gag reflex... just don't like them.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I have had it marinading since noon. Surely someone else has tried this? I have cooked it on a grill before and I just cook it like beef. Med rare 145. I don't know if that is safe or not? but if you cook it like that its actually pretty moist and tasty. I shoot quite a few ducks and geese every year so I have to find other ways to cook it. I figured I would try smoking it for 2 or 3 hours and see what it turns out like. Anyone have any Ideas as to where to set the smoker temp?

Comment

When I had it, it was cooked in the oven... prolly an operator error that it didn't come out right. I dunno. Butt, here's a thought... inject it/marinate it the day before, hit it with smoke for an hour or so, then deep fry it turkey style.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Kinda on the hot side, it's poultry. Needs to get to 165° F internal. I'd prolly go close to 300° F, get there quickly. Poultry does not benefit from slow cooking like pork or beef, actually gets tougher - IMHO.
                      Mark
                      sigpic

Comment

Pass on the low and slow, but DO NOT take it past 135-140(I did not actually say this for food safety reasons). It really needs some fat to catch the smoke. If you still have the skin on, that will help, just loosen it from the meat. You are wise to treat it like beef or veni.
                        Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                          When I had it, it was cooked in the oven... prolly an operator error that it didn't come out right. I dunno. Butt, here's a thought... inject it/marinate it the day before, hit it with smoke for an hour or so, then deep fry it turkey style.
                          Oops... I just realized this is a breast and not a whole goose... duh. Forget the frying part, I never said that.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Irishchef

No the skin isn't still on it, but that is why I have always cooked it around 145 because I have found if you go much higher then that it is like eating boot leather, but if you keep it down it is outstanding. I have had guys tell me that it is perfectly fine to cook goose medium rare like beef or deer, but I've also had people tell me I will become deathly i'll someday cause of it LOL. I guess I don't know a whole lot about poultry temps maybe I should educate myself haha.

Comment

Originally posted by wtrfwl havoc View Post
                              Irishchef

No the skin isn't still on it, but that is why I have always cooked it around 145 because I have found if you go much higher then that it is like eating boot leather, but if you keep it down it is outstanding. I have had guys tell me that it is perfectly fine to cook goose medium rare like beef or deer, but I've also had people tell me I will become deathly i'll someday cause of it LOL. I guess I don't know a whole lot about poultry temps maybe I should educate myself haha.
                              Well it is "Wild Poultry", that might change the rules on salmonella.
                              Mark
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X