Char-Griller Gas and Charcoal Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Char-Griller Gas and Charcoal Grill

I haven't been around much, busy with work. Which is a great thing after being out of it for a while. Anyway, went to grill up a steak over the weekend after the snow finally melted, and all 3 burners in my gasser had rusted away from the back wall and dropped.

Need to get a new gasser for the wife. I was pretty happy with my gas/wood chip smokes. But I'm ready to do better. The Chargriller duo is on sale at Lowes for $199

The only thread about it I found is 2 years old. A cheap gasser alone is at least that amount. It looks like the thing isn't all that well built, but if I oil it and keep it covered it should be ok. Does anybody have any other opinions on it?

I was looking at that yesterday, dunno Where I'm at, it doesn't look like it would last too long. But this salt air eats stainless grills as well. Be curious to see what others think.
    JT

Comment

I was looking through the reviews. About 10% said it sucked and rusted out immediately. Another 5-10% said it didn't rust because they had followed the instructions and covered it with vegetable oil/seasoned it. Most of rest of the positive reviews seemed to be after only one or two cooking sessions. I don't think I'd pay $300 for it, but $200 is very tempting.

Comment

I still LOVE my duo! Mine is 3 years old and I've looked at the new ones and they are definitely built better. It's worth it for $199! We have had no problems with the gas or charcoal side with the exception of the regulator hose. We had to change that just the other day. Get the side fire box and it makes a good little smoker, too!
        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
        Pink Thermapen
        Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by scotth View Post
          I was looking through the reviews. About 10% said it sucked and rusted out immediately. Another 5-10% said it didn't rust because they had followed the instructions and covered it with vegetable oil/seasoned it. Most of rest of the positive reviews seemed to be after only one or two cooking sessions. I don't think I'd pay $300 for it, but $200 is very tempting.
          We do not have any rust on ours except on the fire box. We oil it regularly and keep it covered, as well.
          Becky

Weber Smokey Joe
          Pink Thermapen
          Purple Thermapen

Comment

I've owned 3 Chargriller Smokin' Pros, with mods, and they held up rather well. The firebox was the rust monster of course, but keeping it oiled kept it from rotting away. I've looked at the Duo, both sides are kinda smallish for me, and yeah, I think their quality has gone down from the older units I had. But, for $199, it may be worth it if you keep after it.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I have this one from Sears...

and I gotta say, I wish I would have bought a better quality Weber gas grill, and a Weber kettle grill. On the one I have, the charcoal side is to small, and the gas side, the left burner is always way hotter than the other two.

GOSM
              K.C.B.S Member # 60786
              Digital Thermometers
              Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
              140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

Thanks for the reviews.

I need to call them Monday because it was missing 4 nuts, one of the cooking grates was cracked, one of the feet was broken, and the charcoal lid is bent so it doesn't close without having to yank it into position.

When they send me the replacements for the broken/missing parts, it looks like a good deal for $200... And I still need to get the side fire box.

Last edited by scotth; 03-20-2011, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Sweet but that sucks on the missing and bent parts. Did they give you any hassle over that?
                  Becky

Weber Smokey Joe
                  Pink Thermapen
                  Purple Thermapen

Comment

No real hassle on the missing/broken parts. They asked for my serial number and a copy of my receipt, which I scanned and emailed to them. The replacements are on the way. I decided to hold off on the charcoal side until that stuff gets here. So the first smoke on it was the way I did it on my old gasser, with wood chips.

Comment

Great! Good luck with it!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

It's so pretty!! Have fun with it!
                        Becky

Weber Smokey Joe
                        Pink Thermapen
                        Purple Thermapen

Comment

I bought my duo at the end of last summer when the ash catcher on my old grill rusted out. Got lucky and got it on sale with the side fire box for 279.00
                          The only problem i have that i going to have to fix is that when you ad the side fire box it leaves some holes open on the side of the duo that makes it a little hard to adjust the fire. But read that if you close these that will help. I love mine hope yours goes as good.

Comment

Originally posted by mjul View Post
                            I bought my duo at the end of last summer when the ash catcher on my old grill rusted out. Got lucky and got it on sale with the side fire box for 279.00
                            The only problem i have that i going to have to fix is that when you ad the side fire box it leaves some holes open on the side of the duo that makes it a little hard to adjust the fire. But read that if you close these that will help. I love mine hope yours goes as good.
                            to the site!!
                            Becky

Weber Smokey Joe
                            Pink Thermapen
                            Purple Thermapen

Comment

I bought mine this spring and got the fire box and the cover all at the same time. Loving mine so far!

Comment

Working...
                              X