Ramey's Tri-Tip & Spares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramey's Tri-Tip & Spares

This past week I had to travel to the Imperial Valley, CA for work. While I was out there I heard a rumor that a local place in Brawley had “The Worlds Best Carne Asada”. What a bold statement! So I asked if it was just Carne Asada they recommended, and the response was “Tri-tip, they have the best”. This was also a bold statment considering the amount of tri-tip sold in Southern CA and Western AZ. So we hopped in the truck and drove towards Brawley, CA to a little meat market called “Ramey’s Meats”. It was very small and rustic looking building. So we walked in and ordered 7 Tri-tips (3 marinaded, 4 regular). It was a cool little place that looked like it was the exact same as the day they opened. They had a guy sitting behind a desk just left of the door, and the butchers area to the right.

The lobby has enough room for about 4 people to stand uncomfortably. Their meat comes from Brandt Farms who raise their cattle on strictly grass. Here is a link to some reviews of their meat. After I read a few reviews of Ramey’s, I instantly regretted not picking up some Carne Asada…next time I guess. I left the marinaded tri-tip in my fridge and decided to cook it up with a couple racks of ribs on Sunday.

My supermarket had a pork sale this week. Buy one get one free! Sounds great right? Or is it just that they double the price of pork for a week….

2 Racks of Spareribs…$23

Trimmed up

My leftovers from the trimmings, soon to be in a pot of beans

Rubbed with a little maple syrup, and mustard, then a liberal dose of my rub

Rack #2..same treatment

Here they are after about 2 hours on the drum. No spritzing

After the ribs were on for about 3 hours, I threw on the Tri-tip

Whipped up a batch of a modified Jeff’s sauce

After about an hour and a half on the smoker, I put the tri-tip on a hot gril for a little searing

Unfoiled the ribs after 1.5 hours. Got a little too much pullback, but the texture was still great. Brushed with a single coat of the sauce for appearance
    Last edited by ThunderDome; 03-21-2011, 04:48 PM.

Pt 2

Let the Tri-tip hit 140 on the grill, and tented in foil for a little while

Here she is…My marinaded Tri-tip. Look at the quality of the meat

Smoke ring close-up

So good. My best yet

Here it is just before we rang the dinner bell

Close-up of the sliced ribs

My plate. My wife made pasta salad

Ribz

Tri-Tip

The fam seemed to enjoy it. I highly recommend Ramey’s for tri-tip. The quality was fantastic, and the marinade was awesome

Comment

How come my ribs never look like that?

Very nice job my friend.
      Chargriller Pro w. sfb
      Ducane 4100 propane grill
      Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Simply Awesome TD
        sigpic

Comment

Been way too long since I have done any ribs. Those look damn good and really meaty
          There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

I just ate supper, and that made me hungry again!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Nice job TD, on everything. Tri-tip is a great piece of meat if you can find it, and here in Jersey it's a rare breed. Trader Joe's carry it but it's pre-packaged and blah. I have a neighborhood butcher who got me some and it blew me away. Nice post!
              Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
              My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
              @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Man Damn! Thunder Cat Dome Daddy! Scale clickin right!
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

looks great TD!
                  sigpic
                  it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Man, that IS a nice 'tip allright... and on the ribs... yeah, Kroger does that... "one for free" stuff. It's not much of a deal typically, but they are OK ribs. I'll usually get more trim off 'em than that tho. But then again, I save the fat too...it's usually sausage fodder.

Jeez...what's it take to get a tri-tip west of the Rockies???
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

looks like a feast to me.
                      brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                      18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                      cast iron Hibachi
                      22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                      & rotisserator
                      12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                      stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                      Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                      http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                      my music recordings-
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
                        Been way too long since I have done any ribs. Those look damn good and really meaty
                        Diddo that... and tri-tip! Very nice job on both, TD

Comment

Looks great. I love the pics along the way.
                          KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            Jeez...what's it take to get a tri-tip west of the Rockies???
                            thinkin you mean east eh... Rich a cupla years ago they were rare find here in MN too, at least in my area... now they are a stock item if you want them. even have pans of marinated ones in the meat showcase in addition to the cyro'd ones so they must move a bunch of them. and i aint that far west from you... looks like they just havent found there way across lake michigan yet...
                            Charbroil SFB
                            GOSM
                            MES
                            Dutch Ovens and other CI
                            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Hell yeah, that's some good looking grub.

on reload for a high quality awesome smoke.
                              BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                              Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                              I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Working...
                              X