WSM air intake problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSM air intake problems

I have two 22.5 WSM's. It seems at the last two comps the pits were running high even with the guru. Last weekend I put some foil between the bottom and middle sections to see if that would help...just a little. I've got the door on both pretty well sealed. Anyone else running into the same problem?

Doug
    www.nopigleftbehind.com
    -----------------------------

Originally posted by gooose53 View Post
    I have two 22.5 WSM's. It seems at the last two comps the pits were running high even with the guru. Last weekend I put some foil between the bottom and middle sections to see if that would help...just a little. I've got the door on both pretty well sealed. Anyone else running into the same problem?

Doug
    My WSM is the 18.5"... no problem as long as I fuel it right. What are you using for fuel? Are you using the Minion method?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I use Stubbs brand charcoal and do use the minion method to light my coals.
      www.nopigleftbehind.com

Comment

Originally posted by gooose53 View Post
        I use Stubbs brand charcoal and do use the minion method to light my coals.
        Well, realize doing that... you have an increasing heat source. I am not a fan of that process due to that..and "raw" coals getting going with that smoke in contact with the food.

If you could somehow ensure as many coals were lighting as dying... that would help #1 problem... but...
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I've done this in the backyard and it will hold a pretty steady 240-260 temp. You would think that using the guru would shrink those numbers some. I didn't notice alot of wind that night but I wasn't up all night either. Could be just a few wind gusts from time to time. I'll practice again maybe this weekend and see what it does.....I could always go with my drum.
          www.nopigleftbehind.com

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Well, realize doing that... you have an increasing heat source. I am not a fan of that process due to that..and "raw" coals getting going with that smoke in contact with the food.

If you could somehow ensure as many coals were lighting as dying... that would help #1 problem... but...
            How do you fire yours up Rich?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Either the basket or a chimney over the turkey fryer, and the coals are all grey before the meat hits the grill. And if I add coals, it's the chimney first, same deal.
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Either the basket or a chimney over the turkey fryer, and the coals are all grey before the meat hits the grill. And if I add coals, it's the chimney first, same deal.
                I've done it both ways and I'll tell ya', never found any ill tastes from the minion using Stubbs. Kingsford however... no likey.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                  I've done it both ways and I'll tell ya', never found any ill tastes from the minion using Stubbs. Kingsford however... no likey.
                  I cain't argue Pop-Pop. I cain only go by my WSM and my ciggie/bourbon addled tongue.

I will agree on Kingsford...never tried the Stubbs.

Comment

I cain't argue Pop-Pop. I cain only go by my WSM and my ciggie/bourbon addled tongue.

I will agree on Kingsford...never tried the Stubbs.
                    Try it... it is really good stuff, IMO... butt, if you can get yer hands on some Humphrey's Dat chit is awesome!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                      How do you fire yours up Rich?
                      Yes inquiring minds "need" to know
                      Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                      Weber 22.5" WSM
                      Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                      Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                      Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                      Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                      Weber 18.5" Kettle
                      Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      GMG Daniel Boone
                      Pit Barrel Cooker
                      Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                      6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                      Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                      The Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Doug S. View Post
                        Yes inquiring minds "need" to know
                        Take a look at post #7
                        sigpic
                        New Braunfels Bandera
                        New Braunfels Hondo
                        4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                        1-26" Weber Kettle
                        24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                        Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                          Take a look at post #7
                          Yeah yeah My post was supposed to be #7 guess we were all typing at the same time or the internet is super slow in Utah today
                          Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                          Weber 22.5" WSM
                          Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                          Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                          Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                          Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                          Weber 18.5" Kettle
                          Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          GMG Daniel Boone
                          Pit Barrel Cooker
                          Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                          6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                          Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                          The Vortex

Comment

Humphreys good chit...

Got rid of GURU and STOKER....Never ran em when we used 4 WSM competing....

I was thinkin hooking up a guru etc..too the 22 WSM...Just a finishing deal for us though...Not like a WSM is double insulated,so i gave allowances for temp spikes....Wish i could help because i have used a WSM 10 plus years at home etc...

We would free ball the WSM in comps and foiling would prevent any nasties etc.. ...

Im actually hopin learn from triple pop on the fan deal on WSM...I just never did it...I done it on backwoods etc..

Comment

Working...
                            X