Helluva UDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helluva UDS

Got started on my first UDS build. Let me first say that the info and expertise gathered from here is nothing short of amazing. Without others threads and willingness to answer questions this would have been nothing but trial and error and prolly more error on my part. Thanx to all!

First the 55 gal drum I brought home from work that contained aggragate.

Has a locking lid so no cutting to do for a kettle lid, at least not on the barrel.

Marked the sides and drilled out holes for an upper and lower grate and for the 3/4 in nipples. Installed the nipples, ball valves(decided to go with 2 and 1 cap) and grate supports.

Still got to burn it out and clean it up but got time while I find some expanded metal for the charcoal basket and some sort of heat deflector. More pics as it progresses.

Lou
    sigpic

GOSM/propane
    UDS (Cam)/lump
    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
    Weber Genesis/propane
    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

There ya go, Lou. I'm still leaning on Marktee to get one done for me, but I think these are just the best thing going for a C-note and under.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Looks good so far. You will love that thing.
      KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Get on it, you will freakin love that thing
        https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Lookin' good, Lou.

Dave
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Man...you'll be glad ya got that cookin...get on it bestest fuel efficient...I know..it works!
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Good for you Lou. I got the vavle mounted in mine last Sept. thats as far as I got.

Comment

Looking good and nice to go with two valves, you will be happy you did because it always seems like it needs a little more than one wide open, like one and a half seems the magic number

Comment

looks like a good start keep it up probably one of the best smokers out there if you are on a tight budget.....
                  Mike
                  Oklahoma City
                  22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                  Weber 22.5 Performer
                  GOSM 3405gw
                  Boomer Sooner Drum
                  Maverick ET-732
                  Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                  A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

I bought my expanded metal at Home Depot Lou. it came in a 12 or 16 x 24" piece that I cut lengthwise and bolted the two halves together. Don't forget your electrical fittings to use for thermometer cable ports.
                    Have you tried to fit your lid on the drum yet. My Weber lid wouldn't fit on my drum with a removeable lid, so I tipped the drum upside down and it fit great on the crimped bottom. I used a sabre saw to cut the bottom of the drum out and smoothed the cut out with an angle grinder.

I wish you luck on your build, sometimes they can be frustrating and time consuming. I got lucky and mine went together in about 4 hours, cutting, grinding, drilling and assembling.

Comment

looks good, Lou!
                      Glen
                      Large Vertical & 3 UDS (Illini drum by Bubba before he went big-time)
                      KCBS CBJ
                      Blue Thermopen
                      Profile:
                      http://www.coltecconsulting.com

Comment

John,

I have not tried the lid yet but I read on one thread where the bottom part of the kettle was cut about 1-1/2 in below the lip and that ring was bolted to the inside of the barrel and the lid fit perfect on that. So that is what I'm thinking right now if the lid won't fit since I'm pretty much raiding my Weber for parts anyway.
                        sigpic

GOSM/propane
                        UDS (Cam)/lump
                        22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                        Weber Genesis/propane
                        Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
                          Looking good and nice to go with two valves, you will be happy you did because it always seems like it needs a little more than one wide open, like one and a half seems the magic number

One cap off and the valve 1/2 open gives you one and a half.

Dave
                          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                          -
                          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Looking good, your on your way
                            “Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”

Comment

can't wait to see the end results

GOSM
                              K.C.B.S Member # 60786
                              Digital Thermometers
                              Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
                              140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

Working...
                              X