Bambi-strami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bambi-strami

I am trying my hand at a Venison pastrami for the same friend that gave the the venison that became a whiskey-peppercorn sausage. This venison roast was just a bit bigger. About 2 1/2 lbs.

I rubbed it down with the appropriate amount of TQ. Then with a blend of black pepper, garlic, coriander and a little red pepper flake.

Then it went into the fridge for a week. I flipped it over every couple days. I pulled it out, rinsed it off and soaked in the fridge in fresh cold water for a little over an hour. But of course as I go to get the smoker started I see this...I thought we were done with snow.

After the soak, I patted dry then dusted with granulated garlic.

And then coated with a blend of black pepper, coriander, a little more garlic and a few red pepper flakes.

This is after a while in the drum. When it hit the 140's I wrapped in foil with a couple splashes of beer.

I rested it wrapped in a towel for a while. I cut the end off just to check color and taste test. I will feed it to the meat slicer after it chills in the fridge a while.

I will get a couple sliced pics. The taste is great. Texture & flavor are outstanding.
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Damn Wu, that looks awesome! Can't wait to see the big pile of slices...
    Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
    Weber Performer
    Weber 22.5" OTG
    Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
    Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
    Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
    BBQ Food Truck

Comment

one of my favorite thing in the whole world to make,I love that stuff.Looks Great and I bet it is delish..
      sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
      members mark upright propane smoker
      kingsford bbq
      23"weber kettle

Comment

Lets seem them sliced pics WU
        https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

You on it right there! My Dad just said sum bitch...think I got one in the freezer...
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

A couple sliced pics as promised...

After slicing and separating into piles for vacuum bagging.

And a close up of one of the piles.
            KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Nice work! No injection eh? Well, it's kinda right on the line of the size I'd inject as well as rub. Cure looks great tho! Again... "Woooo Wu!" :{)
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                Nice work! No injection eh? Well, it's kinda right on the line of the size I'd inject as well as rub. Cure looks great tho! Again... "Woooo Wu!" :{)
                I am a little curious about this. What size do you start injecting?? The person I did this for has already said they will want more so I will probably be doing a bunch more in the future.

Do you also inject if you make Buckboard Bacon using a pork butt that is ..let's say 8 lbs or so? I have only made buckboard a couple times but never injected.

Thanks for any help.
                KCBS/CBJ #56408

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
                  I am a little curious about this. What size do you start injecting?? The person I did this for has already said they will want more so I will probably be doing a bunch more in the future.
                  When I see something looking 3 inches thick or so... I tend to inject... or with a fat cap, like BBB/ham hunks. Anything more than 10-14 days for curing..I get nervous heh... A few ounces brine/cure injected under fat caps, along bones and into the thickest portions helps ensure the cure gets in and working ASAP.
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nice job on the stramie! Looks real tasty.
                    sigpic

GOSM/propane
                    UDS (Cam)/lump
                    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                    Weber Genesis/propane
                    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Nice looking stuff

That Looks good

Comment

When I see something looking 3 inches thick or so... I tend to inject... or with a fat cap, like BBB/ham hunks. Anything more than 10-14 days for curing..I get nervous heh... A few ounces brine/cure injected under fat caps, along bones and into the thickest portions helps ensure the cure gets in and working ASAP.
                        Thanks. I have been planning a few more curing projects. How do you split up the cure amount? Do you just subtract from the rubbed amount and make a brine solution with it?

Thanks again. I am just trying to step my game up a little.
                        KCBS/CBJ #56408

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
                          Thanks. I have been planning a few more curing projects. How do you split up the cure amount? Do you just subtract from the rubbed amount and make a brine solution with it?

Thanks again. I am just trying to step my game up a little.
                          I'll take my total cure/salt amount...or TQ amount, depending and take 10-15 percent and dissolve it in water. How much? I have no scientific answer. A butt.. a cup. I'm sure there is a brine/cure concentration for this. I think BBally's thread on it may have died...

It seems to work out to about 2-3 tablespoons/cup of liquid, and the balance is added as a dry cure.

Comment

Wow - that is some great looking strami... I think I found me and Keith's next project!

Comment

I'll take my total cure/salt amount...or TQ amount, depending and take 10-15 percent and dissolve it in water. How much? I have no scientific answer. A butt.. a cup. I'm sure there is a brine/cure concentration for this. I think BBally's thread on it may have died...

It seems to work out to about 2-3 tablespoons/cup of liquid, and the balance is added as a dry cure.
                              Thanks again. That is about how I figured it would work. I will have to give that a go on the next one.

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
                              Wow - that is some great looking strami... I think I found me and Keith's next project!
                              Go for it. It is good stuff.
                              KCBS/CBJ #56408

Comment

Working...
                              X