This years plants. Maters and Peppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This years plants. Maters and Peppers

Been really busy working with the plants for this years garden and figured I ought to finally post some pics.

I started 70 some tomatoes, 40ish peppers and some broccoli and basil. Also doing some flowers for companion planting and for some for Mom.
    Tomatoes

Peppers/broc/basil

Waited a bit too long to transplant and they started to crowd

A few shots of the light
    first is light on without flash
    second is light on with flash
    third is light off with flash

I love this thing (Global Greenhouse Light with 4 T5 bulbs)

Used top quality natural and organic mix

Station all set up to begin

A few of the roots had begun to crowd and if you allow them to grow this way they will eventually strangle each other so tore the bottom of the roots off (it's OK, they can handle it)

Everyone is potted up but I'm pretty much out of room

That plant on the right side is one of those basil plants I got at the grocery store (they are hydroponically grown) that you add water to that I added to dirt to use until my regular basil is growing. It was sketchy at first and almost died but doing alright now.
    Last year my tomatoes grew almost 10' tall, hoping for another great year like that...worried about the stink bugs though.
    Would like to thank Alex for all the previous tips and tricks and help, especially with the cage info
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Nice work.Alex is gonna be Envious.
    sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

I'm totally jealous Jim. Looks like you got it going strong and have a great help in Alx.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Critterhunter View Post
        Nice work.Alex is gonna be Envious.
        Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        I'm totally jealous Jim. Looks like you got it going strong and have a great help in Alx.

The man is a master gardener and compost king and as hard as I strive to reach his level of gardening proficiency I can at least say that I live in NJ and there is no comparison to a Jersey tomato fresh from the vine and eaten like an apple. (Campbell's soup used to grow tomatoes on our land years ago before I was born and trying to get some kind of deal like that going again but much harder these days.
        Last edited by Fire it up; 03-27-2011, 03:05 AM.

sigpic

Comment

That's neat and Campbell's has big pockets!...lol... I am starting over at our new place with a small garden and deck pots for peppers and tomatos. Hope to try my hand at drying/dehydrating and canning.... Good luck jim, looks like you are doing very well so far.
          sigpic

Comment

That is awesome!!! Your maters look beautiful! Nice grow light too! I have 40 tomato plants going and just noticed this a.m. 3 have sprouted! I'm really excited and can't wait for the little babies to show their true leaves like yours.

I think alot of folks are getting into gardening because of the high prices at the grocery store. There is no better reward than a fresh tomato picked right off the vine. Mmmmm.....

Comment

Your gonna have a great garden Bud.
              Chargriller Pro w. sfb
              Ducane 4100 propane grill
              Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Wow... impressive set-up! Lotta work, but mmMMmm home grown stuff is worth it!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nice start Jim...Mine are still little...
                  I think yer gonna need another light...or two
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Looks great
                    Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                    Nice start Jim...Mine are still little...
                    I think yer gonna need another light...or two
                    I was thinking that too. 70 tomatoes are a lot when you start to pot them up!
                    Keep us posted.
                    "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Looking great Jim and nice work as usual...I went to using a gorilla storage rack that i can put 4 rows of 36 plants per row on comfortably...More if i needed it...

Down here we are averaging 10 degree less in daily temps then last year,but wont be long and plants will be on deck and no more lights...

I use same 4 inch pots for transplanting since some years weather is to cool in early may and gives them extra room just in case...

THE DREADED BROWN MAROMATED STINK BUGS... As they are spreading the rest of country is gonna find out soon...As you know they have potential to devestate the agricultural industry....

Comment

Thanks everyone. Light is just barely able to handle all of them. One fell and I took a few out that weren' doing so good so now I have 104 pots under. Have to move the light up just a little more to get enough light to the guys on the outside but anymore and I would have to think about a second light. Thank God for the power of T5 bulbs

My biggest worry about that damned stink bug Alex mentioned is that this year they will get so bad the garden will have to be shut down in the middle of the Summer. I hope not but I really am worried considering how many we had 2 years ago and then the massive amount last year, if they keep the same pace we will literally have millions invading the garden.

sigpic

Comment

Looking great so far.

Comment

Working...
                          X