Gotta Change My Sig Line ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta Change My Sig Line ...

Well the snow is gone, so I started checking my smokers. Fugly, my UDS, looked bad. Inside as well as outside. Decieded to start all over again. Dismamteled everything and did another burn out. Built a new basket. Now I want to paint it. My question is ... should I season it before I paint it or is it ok to paint prior to reseasoning ? ...

Well... I'd season after. Gets rid of the trace "volatiles" hanging around from the fresh paint.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Well... I'd season after. Gets rid of the trace "volatiles" hanging around from the fresh paint.
      That was my thought also, except "seasoning" gets so hot, I'd rather not blister the paint, if that has ever happened. Would hate to resand and paint.
      Thanks Rich ...

Comment

I don't know that it really matters.

But I'm curious . . . why did you do another burnout if you'd already been cooking in it? And why would you need to season it hot enough to blister the paint?

After I painted mine yellow, I just started cooking with it again.

And I know that was safe because I did it 2 years ago and "I ain't grew a third eye yet".

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post

And I know that was safe because I did it 2 years ago and "I ain't grew a third eye yet".

Dave
          Best line I've heard all week!!!

Comment

Originally posted by massive meat pipe View Post
            Best line I've heard all week!!!
            Hang around some forums for awhile. It's the "go to" anecdotal evidence when there is a lack of scientific evidence to support a claim.

Actually, now that I think about it, I might have done a dry run after painting it just to cure the paint so to speak. I can't remember for sure.

Dave
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
              I don't know that it really matters.

But I'm curious . . . why did you do another burnout if you'd already been cooking in it? And why would you need to season it hot enough to blister the paint?

After I painted mine yellow, I just started cooking with it again.

Dave
              Apprarently during the winter, the wind blew the exhaust cover off allowing snow and such to get into it. Just looked nasty, so for "third eye" sake, I decieded to burn it out and start over. If memory serves me correct, my initial seasoning, with all vents open, temps reached about 500*. Sounds like the paint won't blister.

Comment

Yep...fixin to give mine a Joan Rivers facelift....
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                  ... ... ... Good One ...

Comment

Originally posted by cajun_1 View Post
                    Apprarently during the winter, the wind blew the exhaust cover off allowing snow and such to get into it. Just looked nasty, so for "third eye" sake, I decieded to burn it out and start over.
                    Gotcha. Plus, building big fires is fun.

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                    Sounds like that might blister some paint.

Dave
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    -

Comment

That was my thought also, except "seasoning" gets so hot, I'd rather not blister the paint, if that has ever happened. Would hate to resand and paint.
                      Thanks Rich ...
                      Hmmm a seasoning run should not need undue temps really... now a burn-out..is a different deal. But for seasonings upper smoking tems should be fine. Maybe hit 400?
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        Hmmm a seasoning run should not need undue temps really... now a burn-out..is a different deal. But for seasonings upper smoking tems should be fine. Maybe hit 400?
                        I didn't think I had heard anyone complaining about blistering their paint job, but thought I'd ask ... Thanks everyone ...

Comment

You can't get that UDS...lean to peak! Got pic's of a fried piston powered engine...Cat thought...pull the Red Knob back is cool!
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I didn't think I had heard anyone complaining about blistering their paint job, but thought I'd ask ... Thanks everyone ...
                            Never blistered mine. Been above 400 (damn laptop, I don't know how to make the degree sign with it ) measured on severeal occasions.

Been higher (much higher I'm guessing ) unmeasured a time or two. Didn't blister anything, just discolored a bit around where the charcoal basket sits.

But I used the Duplicolor High Heat Engine enamel and primer.

But even with normal paint, I'd doubt you would hurt anything seasoning it.

Dave
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            -

Comment

Just because its me you can look here....

Comment

Working...
                              X