Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBCA Judging Info

Originally posted by Mikey
    Actually JT, there are 2 IBCA events here in Ca. this summer (Oakland in July & Hesperia in Sept.) I personally wish that there were more. One of the reasons you'll see so many IBCA events in Texas is the IBCA is based in Godley, Tx.
    IBCA has had several events in CA - for some of the events out there IBCA was a stepping stone to get their feet wet and started and then the next yr changed to KCBS -

Most of the competition cookers in CA as accustom to the KCBS and want to get the print out at the end of the event.

IBCA uses double theater tickets and NO ONE knows who the winner is until the ticket is matched. That being said - it would be a paperwork nightmare to keep up with all of the tickets.

IBCA doesn't certify judges - we fill that "Joe Public" knows what they like in BBQ -- Upon instructing our judges - we instruct them to:
    1. Open the box and look at it - does it look like BBQ?
    2. Smell of it - does it smell like BBQ?
    3. Taste of it - does the smoke and spices blend and appeal to your palate.
    4. Using these criterias - the judges are then asked to give each container a score from 1 to 10, 10 being the BEST, they can use the same score more than once because they are judging each container on its own merit.

IBCA does an elimination type of judging - up to 20 teams there is only one level of judging but there after - we use 15 as a divider to determine how many tables will be in the pre-lims and then half of each of the tables will be advanced to the next level.

IBCA also specifies exactly what you place into the container - no more or no less -- 1/2 fully jointed chicken, 7 pork SPARE ribs, and 7 full slices of brisket approx. 1/4" - 3/8" thick -- we issue a piece of foil to be placed in the bottom of the tray - you can cook with sauce and/or other liquids but it can't be ladled onto the product or PUddle in the bottom of the tray.

If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask.

Interesting, Lynn..I copied your post to a new thread so it can be discussed on-topic.

Thank you for stopping by to give us this info.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Now that's what I'm talking about...

I wish they had IBCA contests around here.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

great info, I have to say the Joe Public aspect i feel would give a decent crossection of what people like. I dont know if its the right way to go if there is large prize money invovled.I guess I dont know how Judge Joe Public is pick for the comp I'm sure if large prize money was invovled their would be or should I say there is always some one to yell foul
        sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
        members mark upright propane smoker
        kingsford bbq
        23"weber kettle

Comment

Thanks for info...

Comment

I like the IBCA comps because they are typically less expensive to enter and no garnish! The other big difference is that the judges at the top tier / final table eat out of the same box (with a knife and a fork) that was tasted in the initial round. That meat is COLD by then - still safe based on HD - but COLD.

I do miss getting the score sheets though because it certainly helps to get some feedback on your turn in.

I think (?!?) that KCBS has to have a minimum of 25 teams to qualify for a KCBS sactioned event - not sure there is a minimum number of teams for IBCA.
            Meat, Inc.
            De Profundis

Traeger 075 x 2, Traeger COM 200, Weber Silver, WSM 22.5, POS Bullet, Stoker

Comment

My understanding in my conversation with Lynn, that "typically" an IBCA event costs about 1/3 to 1/2 of what a KCBS event costs (entry fee).
              Correct me if my numbers are off, Lynn. The judging is an interesting concept and I must say the Hesperia event just might be in the cards for me. I'll be joining up before the weeks out.
              sigpic
              New Braunfels Bandera
              New Braunfels Hondo
              4-22.5" Weber Kettles
              1-26" Weber Kettle
              24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
              Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Mikey,

I've heard that cost for "sanctioning" the event is similar to what you said.

We did Hesperia last year and it was a pretty fun event - except for the wind. The wind turbine in front of town hall should have been an indication. It became a realization after 6pm or so.

We sold out of PC and I think with the new date and warmer day the PC could be even better!

If my "boss" lets me, we'll be there!
                Meat, Inc.
                De Profundis

Traeger 075 x 2, Traeger COM 200, Weber Silver, WSM 22.5, POS Bullet, Stoker

Comment

Originally posted by meatinc View Post
                  Mikey,

I've heard that cost for "sanctioning" the event is similar to what you said.

We did Hesperia last year and it was a pretty fun event - except for the wind. The wind turbine in front of town hall should have been an indication. It became a realization after 6pm or so.

We sold out of PC and I think with the new date and warmer day the PC could be even better!

If my "boss" lets me, we'll be there!
                  "Boss" meaning wife?
                  You might wear the pants in the family, but I have a sneaky suspicion she picks out the color
                  I'm going to try to get my youngest son to help me out and if he can't or won't, I'll do it solo
                  sigpic
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  New Braunfels Hondo
                  4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                  1-26" Weber Kettle

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                    Hesperia event just might be in the cards for me. I'll be joining up before the weeks out.
                    Well..Butter me Butt and call me darlin....Go get em.....

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                      I'll let you put butter on your own ass............darlin'
                      sigpic
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      New Braunfels Hondo
                      4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                      1-26" Weber Kettle

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                          PLEASE! No PIX! DIN'T HAPPEN!
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            PLEASE! No PIX! DIN'T HAPPEN!
                            No problem if the pix are taken with your camera Rich... no one would know...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                              No problem if the pix are taken with your camera Rich... no one would know...
                              I STILL have that pict, Phil... you know the one.... PLENTY clear too

Comment

Working...
                              X