dough thermometer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dough thermometer?

today I did a simple recipe for some hot dog buns and when all said and done the directions said to "bake for 20 minutes or until internal temp of the bread reaches 190°F( A dough thermometer takes the guess work out of this)"

Well I figured that my et73 would work good enough so after 12 minutes I stuck it in the bread and it was at the 190° temp that was recommended, which by the looks of the dough it was too soon. and then it quickly shot up and went to 211° and stayed there till I pulled them after 18 minutes, when they looked good on the outside.
    After thinking about it I'm guessing that the et73 was reading the steam in the baking bread. Which leads me to my question........Is there something special about a dough thermometer? and also, going by internal temp is a first for me, but is this normal. I've never done much baking.
    Thanks for any input, Dan
    sigpic

Didn't even know they made a special thermo for dough. I just use any thermo I got on hand and pull my bread at 200-205. I know buns probably carry over for a spell and would want them soft and pliable.

Comment

Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I'm at 5480 feet above sea level. Water boils at 201F at my house, so if I followed the temp directions all my bread with be burned.
        I was taught to look at the very lowest part of the crust, in the cracks and if the bread/dough is still white the bread is still raw.
        Does that make sense. the crust can be very dark brown on the highest parts and the inside raw. All the flour/crust has to take on some color.. Does that make sense?
        "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Always taught to tap the bread and if it sounds hollow - it's done.
          seems to work :-)

Never considered using thermo on bread.
          Can't think of a reason why not - unless you live up a mountain like moselle :-)
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
          X