Sourdough Breakfast Pastries.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourdough Breakfast Pastries.

Well I made the sponge Friday morning, let it sit all day and evening, then added everything else and let it rise until 4:30 a.m. Got up at 4 to check electric fence since we where having a lightning storm.
    The wife had plants and dirt and seeds all over the kitchen, getting ready to take them out to the greenhouse, so I didn't have room to roll the out dough. Instead, I just pinched off balls and flattened or rolled to make bismarks and long johns. That's what they are called here anyway. Then let them rise for about 3 hours. Not as pretty as if I had rolled them out and cut, but tastes as good.
    If you do this, I just used my cinnamon roll recipe. Normally you'd roll it out to about 1/2" thickness, then cut strips or rounds, place on well floured cookie sheets, and rise uncovered. The reason for not covering is because we want a tough skin to develop to aid in the handling of them. Fry in 375° oil, risen side down, till golden and flip once. Drain on paper towels.
    I had some chocolate decorators icing left from a cake I did last weekend, so I whipped it till fluffy, then filled or frosted a lot of these. The rest I rolled in sugar or sprinkled them with powdered sugar.
    I suppose you could bake these too. I am going to try that sometime.
    Sourdough is a bit more dense than regular yeast pastries, so It doesn't take much to fill you up.

I did get to roll out a little dough and cut some small ones for the girls. Can you believe they don't like the chocolate filling.

And since some of you like to see one ripped apart, here ya go. touched up the filling just for you guys.

Tom

Dammit Gunny... I bet you have Betty Crocker calling you for advice on how to make pastries..

Good looking stuff If I may say..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

looking good dude...........had to start my starter over.........how did you do your sponge?

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Gun Man! That is lookin really fine!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
          looking good dude...........had to start my starter over.........how did you do your sponge?
          1 1/2 cups starter, 3 cups flour, 2 1/2 cups water.

Tom

Comment

Those are some mighty fine looking pastries. I would probably fill a few with Bavarian cream.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
              Those are some mighty fine looking pastries. I would probably fill a few with Bavarian cream.
              yeah, that makes my knees weak............let me join ya.....

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                I had some chocolate decorators icing left from a cake I did last weekend, ...

Jeeze, that sounds kinda gay!

;)

J/K Dude.

Thanks for sharing. Looks good.

(I just had to do that) :)

Comment

Now those look good! Very nice.

sigpic
                  Brinkman SnP-w/mods
                  ECB
                  GOSM
                  MES for sticks and sausage
                  30 yr old Weber Kettle
                  Brinkman gasser

Comment

Originally posted by supervman View Post
                    Jeeze, that sounds kinda gay!

;)

J/K Dude.

Thanks for sharing. Looks good.

(I just had to do that) :)
                    I'm sure you did. Now hand me that feather boa.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                      Dammit Gunny... I bet you have Betty Crocker calling you for advice on how to make pastries..

Good looking stuff If I may say..
                      I think she's livin somewhere on the property ...

Lookin good Gunney ...

Comment

Originally posted by cajun_1 View Post
                        I think she's livin somewhere on the property ...

Lookin good Gunney ...
                        Thanks Tim.
                        We sure used the Betty Crocker cookbook a lot when we first got together. Some great stuff in there, and some of our favorite dishes are adaptations of recipes from that book.
                        We bought a new one a couple of years ago, and I must say, the quality of the recipes in the new one are not as good as the old ones. Some of the recipes in the new one don't even make sense. Almost like the recipes weren't proofed at all.
                        Tim, I'm grilling hamburgers this week. I'll post a quickie on making hamburger buns for ya.

Tom

Comment

I never really consulted with that Crocker lady, (since you ruffled her pages ...) . But I have heard that about the newer books. I have a "Wheat Starter" going now. (just started it yesterday). We'll see if it takes off, kinda windy and cold in this area. Lookin forward to the hamburger buns post.

I do pretty good with bread, breakfast sausage and gravy. If I could make biscuits like the lil Dough Boy, I'd really be a happy camper. ...

Comment

I have a "Wheat Starter" going now. (just started it yesterday).
                            I have one that's been going for years made from organic stone ground wheat flour. It does very well and it was probably the quickest to start.

If I could make biscuits like the lil Dough Boy, I'd really be a happy camper. ...
                            My wife makes the biscuits here. They're fantastic. Everyone always wants to know her secret and she never knew what to say, because she just does a typical recipe. So one morning I decided to pay attention to the biscuit making, and I figured it out.
                            Her great biscuits are an accident. They're great because she doesn't over knead them. It's not a byproduct of a great recipe or great method, it's a byproduct of laziness, which for people that know her biscuits, translates to a great method. Not that she's lazy, she just doesn't like to knead. That's why I bought the big KitchenAid for her.
                            She pretty much throws the dry and wet ingredients together, cuts in her veg. shortening, presses it all together into a ball, rolls it out, and cuts biscuits.
                            She does the same thing with pie crust. Best flakiest pie crust I've ever had.

Tom

Comment

My wife makes the biscuits here. They're fantastic. Everyone always wants to know her secret and she never knew what to say, because she just does a typical recipe. So one morning I decided to pay attention to the biscuit making, and I figured it out.
                              Her great biscuits are an accident. They're great because she doesn't over knead them. It's not a byproduct of a great recipe or great method, it's a byproduct of laziness, which for people that know her biscuits, translates to a great method. Not that she's lazy, she just doesn't like to knead. That's why I bought the big KitchenAid for her.
                              She pretty much throws the dry and wet ingredients together, cuts in her veg. shortening, presses it all together into a ball, rolls it out, and cuts biscuits.
                              She does the same thing with pie crust. Best flakiest pie crust I've ever had.

Interesting ... May have to try the "Lazy Way" and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X