Practice comp burn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice comp burn

Coals lit at 10 PM. Got 45 people showing up tomorrow for a taste test. Doing the big 4 and a pan of smoked beans with smoked hot links. 10 racks of ribs, 60 pieces of chicken, 2 shoulders, and 2 packers to cook. Going to be a long night. I'll post some pictures up tomorrow.. If i'm still mentally able to run a camera and computer..
    BBQ catering
    Competition BBQ team
    "Practical BBQ" Author

Sounds like a nice party. Good luck.
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

as dawn breaks (ok i slept in today) i hope everything is movin' along on your smoke looking forward to some great pic's when you get a chance
      Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Well, I don't think you'll be short on the meat ;{) Hope they all come HUNGRY!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Big D
          Hi ForthWind,

Are you going to be posting the turn in boxes and such?
          LOL depends on how good they look

Will get some pics up here in a awhile. Got to get the chicken prepped.
          BBQ catering
          Competition BBQ team
          "Practical BBQ" Author

Comment

Had a great burn! Learned a lot about my new machine and it's sweet spots. All four of our meats came out with fantastic flavor. According to the user input the ribs were the biggest hit. Had a buddy that's a KCBS judge come by and said he would have been marking down 9's. Made me feel pretty good. After we practiced some turn in boxes, the food was consumed by the masses. We saved the the turn in boxes, and donated them to the local fire station crew that was on duty. (three fire rescue personal on duty at a time in our area) Brought a tear to my eye when the officer on duty took the time to call and thank me for the best dinner that he has had donated to him in 27 years. The man has been serving and saving lives for 27 years and it's been this long that he has been treated to a good meal??? WTF!! LOL Anyhow here are some pics of the day.. Been one long crazy day of good Q, and cold brews with friends and family. Made the lack of sleep worth every caffeine induced jitter LOL

Wife suprised me with a cake made for our teams Inaugeral BBQ.. I really loved it, but it does mean I will owe her flowers on mothers day LOL
            BBQ catering
            Competition BBQ team
            "Practical BBQ" Author

Comment

damned fine lookin job , gotta pass you some for the turn in boxes and feedin the local firemen
              sigpic
              homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )

Comment

immaculate.
                brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                cast iron Hibachi
                22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                & rotisserator
                12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                my music recordings-
                http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

gotta luv a story that includes the phrase "best dinner that he has had donated to him in 27 years" you guys did a great job

take care
                  Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Those boxes look great.
                    I'll look for you in Loveland!
                    "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Wow! Great burn! Hopefully you got your times down. Sweet smoker you got there. Great looking grub!
                      Mustang electric smoker
                      King Kooker vertical gasser
                      Charbroil silver smoker
                      Earnhardt Jr smoker
                      Brinkman smoke n' grill
                      a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

That is a great post. Great looking boxes too.
                        Scarbelly

Comment

Sweet, nicely done sir. I did this before my first comp, the comp was a whole different critter. Great way to get the feel of getting it done! You done good, better than I did.
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Outstanding! Definitely worthy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                              Sweet, nicely done sir. I did this before my first comp, the comp was a whole different critter. Great way to get the feel of getting it done! You done good, better than I did.
                              I will agree that there is more pressure during a comp. Fortunately I cooked for another team during some comps last season. I had a heck of a time with his smoker since he didnt have airflow control. had to maintain the temps by the amount of fuel you had in the box. Didn't get a whole lot more sleep the other night, but it was watching meat and not the smoker. Most of the night was playing with my cooks X box between bastings and such. After some sleep, I figured out our fuel usage this morning. Used 80 lbs coal and 40 lbs of wood splits for 16 hours. kept running past that, but by then I was drinking and BS'ing. temps were still 175 when I closed the garage door at about hour 20. Couldnt be happier with the way the smoker ran.

Thanks for the points and kudos. Looking forward to the Comp at the end of the month!
                              BBQ catering
                              Competition BBQ team
                              "Practical BBQ" Author

Comment

Working...
                              X