Jerky Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerky Question

I've always marinated before smoking, however I am getting tired of the same flavor of soy and worcestershire. Has anyone had good results doing a dry rub with maybe some added sriracha chili sauce?
    Stumps Baby
    Bubba Keg Convection Grill
    Digi Q
    Gasser with 4+ yrs of dust
    Custom end grain cutting board
    Superfast Yellow Thermapen
    18 " Smoke Vault
    12" AMNTS
    AMNPS
    Newbie beer brewer

Originally posted by 44 bbq View Post
    I've always marinated before smoking, however I am getting tired of the same flavor of soy and worcestershire. Has anyone had good results doing a dry rub with maybe some added sriracha chili sauce?
    I know what you mean by same old flavor ...... I think SmokinLee did something of the HOT variety lately, can't remember if was Sriracha or what..... I have used the Hi Mountain kits before & liked them really well.... The Cabela's kits that I have used were very bland.... Do you have any Jalapeno salt? ..... Or Smitty's? ...... Or maybe add something Hot to a dry brine?
    sigpic

Comment

I usually use dry rub with maple syrup or honey.
      Not sure if I've posted it up yet or not...nah doesn't look like it.

Anyway what I do is mix up the spice with curing salt.

Sprinkle a layer in a plastic container, add single layer of beef, then sprinkle that with cure mix, drizzle maple syrup - not a lot. Then another layer of beef and repeat.
      It helps if you add up all the tsps of spices so that you know how many tsps to use on each layer.

I then let that lot sit overnight. And shake the crap out of the container to give agood mixing the next day.
      Then cook.

I usually use the dehydrator, but works just as well in the smoker.

Hang on found the pics.

Out of the fridge next day and shaken

Haven't got access to the actual cure mix at the moment - but I'll add it later :-)
      ANyway the method should be self expanatory with the pics.

Not sure how well you can see them, but the biggish bits of herb are actually lemon grass. The rest is fairly basic: coriander seeds, pepper, brown sugar, cure salt, seasalt, garlic.
      The maple syrup adds a depth to the sweetness that really works well with the hint of lemon from the lemon grass.
      I call this stuff maple candy jerky - it's good stuff.

ps: got the pics a little mixed up at the end there. The shaken pic should come AFTER the 5lb layers pic
      Attached Files
      Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-14-2011, 10:00 AM.
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Nicely done CA
        sigpic

Comment

One thing I associate with jerky is the sudden appearence of a rhodesian ridgeback whenever I:
          1) start cutting any raw meat
          2) vac pack any meat based product
          3) whenever I move any meat based product.
          4) whenever I'm stupid enough to leave anything meat based around without first checking where the ridgeback is - she steals you know

The toy box in the background is bilbos - that was before christmas, it's a bit less full now lol
          Attached Files
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks CA & Fish. I've never tried the Mi Mountain or the Cabelas. I usually only do a couple of pounds of meat, 3-4 at the most. I'm usually the only one who eats it at my house. My wife will pick at it so i usually do not do much. The Hi Mountain kits are usually for 5+ lbs, i think. So i just mix up my own.

I think I will try CA's method. I may sub cane syrup in place of the maple. I want something that is balanced with maybe a little extra heat.

Fish, i do not have any jalapeno powder, but I do have chipotle powder and Rich sent me some pepper powder. Kinda smells like it has jalapeno. I do have some of that left.

If I can find some decent meat this weekend, I'll give it a try and post some pictures.
            Stumps Baby
            Digi Q
            18 " Smoke Vault
            12" AMNTS
            AMNPS
            Newbie beer brewer

Comment

Fish, i do not have any jalapeno powder, but I do have chipotle powder and Rich sent me some pepper powder. Kinda smells like it has jalapeno. I do have some of that left.
              Hmmm ya prolly got some Smitty's then...! That'll heat it up nicely. Figger a teaspoon/Lb. What cure are you using for the jerky?
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I've been using some pink salt that I picked up at Academy. Can't find Morton's around here. With that I just mix up some spices with ls soy and worcestershire.
                I want to get away from the soy or teriaki flavor.

I think the pepper powder you sent is Smitty's.
                Stumps Baby
                Digi Q
                18 " Smoke Vault
                12" AMNTS
                AMNPS
                Newbie beer brewer

Comment

I think the pepper powder you sent is Smitty's.
                  Allright... use Red wine, onion, garlic and the Smitty's. Simple, and tasty. USe 1 cup wine/5 lbs meat. A Cab or Merlot is ideal. Even Burgandy.

On edit: Maybe brown sugar or honey for some sweet if ya like.
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I will give that a try. have some CAB at the house.
                    Thanks.
                    Stumps Baby
                    Digi Q
                    18 " Smoke Vault
                    12" AMNTS
                    AMNPS
                    Newbie beer brewer

Comment

jerky recipe as threatened lol

for 4 lb of beef - I use toprump - no I don't know what you call it.

4 tsps salt - includes cure
                      4 tsp brown sugar
                      2 tsp peppercorns
                      2 tsp garlic powder
                      2 tsp dried lemon grass
                      2 tsp smoked paprika (normal is fine)
                      2 tsp coriander seeds.

If you got smittys - from what I've heard I'd use 2 tsp of that as well. Rich has asbestos tastebuds, so 4 is probably too much for normal human beings

Grind all to powder and follow instructions/pics in previous post.
                      If you don't have maple or maple flavoured syrup - use honey. It's there for flavour not just sweetness. Unflavoured corn syrup probably not going to make a lot of difference.

Does not taste like soy or worcestershire sauce :-)
                      Also very easy recipe to scale up or down.
                      Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-14-2011, 12:01 PM.
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                        jerky recipe as threatened lol

for 4 lb of beef - I use toprump - no I don't know what you call it.

4 tsps salt - includes cure
                        4 tsp brown sugar
                        2 tsp peppercorns
                        2 tsp garlic powder
                        2 tsp dried lemon grass
                        2 tsp smoked paprika (normal is fine)
                        2 tsp coriander seeds.

If you got smittys - from what I've heard I'd use 2 tsp of that as well. Rich has asbestos tastebuds, so 4 is probably too much for normal human beings

Grind all to powder and follow instructions/pics in previous post.
                        If you don't have maple or maple flavoured syrup - use honey. It's there for flavour not just sweetness. Unflavoured corn syrup probably not going to make a lot of difference.

Does not taste like soy or worcestershire sauce :-)
                        Also very easy recipe to scale up or down.
                        Could you clarify on the "tsp" is that Table or Tea? Seems like it would be Table but I am not certain. Looks good anyway and I am thinking about trying it out with Maple syrup. Also, I have been marinating for three days on previous recipes. Well, I did 2 days the first time and 3 days the second batch. Will this work well as a 2-3 day marinade? Thanks!
                        I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Originally posted by someAZdude View Post
                          Could you clarify on the "tsp" is that Table or Tea? Seems like it would be Table but I am not certain. Looks good anyway and I am thinking about trying it out with Maple syrup. Also, I have been marinating for three days on previous recipes. Well, I did 2 days the first time and 3 days the second batch. Will this work well as a 2-3 day marinade? Thanks!
                          tsp is always teaspoon. Tbs is tablespoon.

Are you using a cure? Curious says one does not need a cure, but I'm sticking my the letter of the FDA... one must cure jerky. Go without at your own risk.

Read the "sticky" posts at the top of the Jerky forum... and reply with questions.

Comment

I'm with MH....Use the cure.
                            Don..

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys

Comment

Hey Rich, that explains it then. Yes, I use tenderquick. Perhaps one day when I feel like my understanding and skills are at a certain level, then I will be comfortable making jerky without it but for now, my understanding was 1 tblsp for each pound of meat. That's why I was confused about the writing of the measurements. Also, that sounds like a lot of coriander to me but to each his own. Might try this today......
                              I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Working...
                              X