3 babybacks and a 6lb Duck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 babybacks and a 6lb Duck

Havin some people over on a nice ass day in STL...

They all like duck and ribs so I figured I'd try and dazzle them with my best effort:

The duck I brined over night in a solution of pickling spices, brown sugar, salt, garlic juice, lemon juice, brought to a boil and added ice water till it covered the duck...

This morning took the duck out, rinsed it off, got my fire going on the smoker and boiled the brine again... this I used in my water tray in the smoker.

PREPPED OUT the ribs, using my hot water method on the membrane to remove it easier, coated the BONE side only with mustard first then the rub, the meat side just gets rub....

Stacked them up and folded the butcher paper over them... You got to love that butcher paper... NO MESS!!!!

On to the smoker goes the ribs first....

Added the bird later, All tied up with an apple in the gut!!! Custom cut the aluminum pan to still hold a little fat and yet allow more heat to surround the duck...

I'll keep you all updated!!!
    OKJoe's Longhorn Combo ►Traeger 575 Bronze ►Weber Q series
    ThermaPEN-Mk4 ►MEATERx2 ►FireBoard|||| and SPARK► Smokin-it Smoke Generator► INKBIRD Sous Vide► GrillGrates
    and accessories out the ying-yang

That looks a a great feast, That duck is gonna rock I'll bet.

Comment

Neat...I have yet to do duck. Sooo- why mustard on only one side? I can see the bone side for sure to help hold rub, but why not the other?
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Looks like a good gig ya got going, looking forward to the finals! Gotta try me one of them smoked ducks too...
        Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
        Weber Performer
        Weber 22.5" OTG
        Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
        Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
        Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
        BBQ Food Truck

Comment

Great looking spread! .... I have not smoked duck either.... Looking forward to the finish line
          sigpic

Comment

Looks great and I love the Duck. Best poultry out there IMO.

All that said, I'm cusious to see how it turns out. I have smoked whole duck before but find it's better on the grill at high heat. Plus, it saves a lot of time. In any event, not trying to be a buzzkill I only suggest after the smoke, try one on the grill and see what sort of a difference you find.

The thing about the grill, you have to move them around quite a bit because of the flame ups due to all that great duck fat. I usually half or quarter them.

Look forward to the finish
            Pete
            Large BGE
            Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Oh man! Ribs and Duck! Way to roll. As Rich said, why mustard on one side and not the other?
              Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
              Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
              SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
              Yoder Wichita
              Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
              Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
              Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Well, Rich did say it, I do it on the bone side to help hold but I have good success on the meat side with my rub on there alone. I like the texture better on the meat side without using the mustard...
                No big scientific reason... just preference.
                Last edited by Eaglewing; 04-17-2011, 06:01 PM.
                ThermaPEN-Mk4 ►MEATERx2 ►FireBoard|||| and SPARK► Smokin-it Smoke Generator► INKBIRD Sous Vide► GrillGrates

Comment

Ya got me interested now dont cut me off half way there
                  2-22.5'' weber
                  1-18'' weber
                  1 smokey joe
                  22.5'' wsm
                  24'' smoke vault
                  1-outhouse
                  Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                  Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Great lookin grub. Gonna have to try a duck.

Is there a difference in the bark/texture on the top with and without mustard?

Comment

We also made something unique:

This is from a restaurant in L.A., The Stinking Rose, an all garlic restaurant- (also one in San Fran). It should come with a warning label!

Bagna Calda

1 1/2 cups peeled garlic cloves
                      1 1/2 extra virgin olive oil
                      2 oz. butter
                      1 can (2 oz) anchovies

Place all ingredients in oven casserole, cover and place in 275 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours. Stir (the anchovies are not strong in the dish)

I like it on top of some really good sourdough bread. The garlic melts like butter.

It's a great thing to eat if you really want to really piss off your S.O.

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderDome View Post
                        Great lookin grub. Gonna have to try a duck.

Is there a difference in the bark/texture on the top with and without mustard?
                        I think there is, in the long run, like I said I just never did mustard when starting out at all, but then I graduated to the bone side to help it stick cuz the bone side is usually DOWN and the top doesn't need much help.

Comment

I gotta do a duck smoke soon.
                          Love duck and they just went on sale here but never tried smoking one but that looked great so gonna do it
                          There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Looks excellent
                            Have some for the duck, I do love me some quacker

One thing thought,
                            REPPED OUT the ribs, using my hot water method on the membrane to remove it easier,
                            they really don't look boiled
                            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                              Looks excellent
                              Have some for the duck, I do love me some quacker

One thing thought, they really don't look boiled
                              Thnx for the points, That should have typed Prepped out.... I have a post in here somewhere where I explain that I like to run hot water over the membrane side for about 10 sec or so... it actually turns the membrane a real cloudy white by kind of cooking it and it pulls off real easy in one piece the majority of the time!!

Comment

Working...
                              X