First "Real" UDS Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First "Real" UDS Smoke

While I still have a few features to add to the build the new UDS is operational and I was ready to give it a real test. I had a small pork loin in the freezer so after thawing I cut it into 2 in. slices and cut out a pocket for some cornbread stuffing.

Applied some rub to the stuffed chops and a couple slabs of BB's.

Put most of an 8lbbag of lump in the basket and lit about 1/4 chimney and put the lit coals into the basket to get er going with all 3 intakes wide open. About 20 min later the temp was up to 250o and put all of the meat on the top rack.

The temp jumped up to 300o quick so I closed off 1 intake and it maintained 300 so I closed the 2nd intake about 1/2 way and the temp slowly crept down to 265o. Being the first run I wanted to play with the intakes to "get to know" the pit. I was able to run about 225o with only one intake wind open.

Anyway after about 2 hours the chops came off as they were at 150o internal and didn't want to dry them out.

You'll notice one is missing and it was tasty! After about 5 hours I took off the BB's as they felt done using the ole bend test. Sampled a couple and they too were wonderful.

So I now understand about the temp spikes when you remove the lid and will probably add a heat deflector using the lid that belonged to the barrel. Temps shot up quick when I mopped the meat.

Think I'm gonna be real happy with this set up and will be cleaning up my Charbroil Silver Smoker to go on craigslist. Don't see me using it again.

In line for my next smoke is................

To spatchcock or not???????????????

Not really, she's my buddy!
    sigpic

GOSM/propane
    UDS (Cam)/lump
    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
    Weber Genesis/propane
    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Nice Lou, All looks great and am lookin forward to my maiden voyage here real soon on the drum.

Comment

Looks like you and the UDS are one... you nailed it bro!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Looks like a great smoke. I admire you guys that can make a smoker out of an old drum.
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Well, lookie there! Pretty slick, slick! I gotta get on Bro to finish mine. I'm looking forward to messin' with it.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Tasty lookin grub. Glad you liked the drum.

You had a much better "first" experience than some

Comment

Right nice there Cat Daddy! Refurb on mine is done...Like the rotator....
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looking forward to getting some Q off that baby sometime this summer Lou.
                Chargriller Pro w. sfb
                Ducane 4100 propane grill
                Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Real nice, Lou!! Deflector will help the spikes, but you'll most likely have to run it harder (more intakes open) to achieve desired temps. I consider it a minor trade-off (more fuel vs. stable temps).

A good seal on your lid will help with stability, too.

Congrats on the first of many good smokes to come from your UDS!

L8r,
                  Eric

Comment

looks like a solid first outing. I think you will like that UDS!
                    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Rock on, Lou.

Sounds (and looks) like a great maiden voyage.

The fact that you were able to bring the temps back down seems to suggest that you got that lid sealed very well. When mine used to creep away like that there was no way I could coax it back down. Although the deflector takes care of that but like Eric said, takes a little more "throttle" to keep it in the zone.

Have fun with it.

Dave
                      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                      -
                      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Your going to love smoking on that UDS. I love mine.
                        Propane Smoke Shack
                        UDS
                        Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                        sigpic

Comment

Fine looking UDS Lou! And the grub too.... Stupid question here: If you close the vents when you take off the lid will that help avoid temp spikes?... Is the increase in air flow to the fuel what makes them spike?
                          sigpic

Comment

If I may . . .

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                            Stupid question here:
                            No such thing.

If you close the vents when you take off the lid will that help avoid temp spikes?...
                            It does help some but I've found that you need to do it a few minutes before removing the lid and leave them closed for a few minutes after putting the lid back on.

Is the increase in air flow to the fuel what makes them spike?
                            Yes.

Dave
                            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                            -
                            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

WOW what a nice build and some great Q.
                              Robert "Barney" Fife

MES40

Comment

Working...
                              X