Bunny-onna-stick ! Although unless I told ya, you'd never know lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bunny-onna-stick ! Although unless I told ya, you'd never know lol

So had a busy day yesterday, did some tear and share lunchrolls, then spent most of the afternoon making sausage and finally using the northern tools meat mixer (great bit of kit).

While also committing myself to an evening bbq.

Decided on bunny again - well they're free and we've got a few

This time took a decent sized bunny and removed all the meat.
    I figure I got about 12oz maybe a touch more.
    Marinated in soy-sauce, my magic ginger paste, garlic powder and honey. Nice and simple, but heavy on the ginger - got to be fresh and blitzed to a fine paste though.

Stuck them on kebabs with a strip of bacon, kinda interweaved. Same way I did these But with streaky bacon instead of prosciutto.

Gave them about 30 mins at 300 ish and then finished off on the grill:

'cos I was stuck for time raided the freezer and just threw some burgers and Bacon bangers in as well. ALso did potato salad with egg, sate sauce and garlic bread (latter 2 from freezer).

ALso did some red onions, was originally going to stuff but ran out of time and just cut and doused in olive oil instead. Those were really good

Now I microwaved the bunny carcass to strip bits off for the dog's dinner. And that was tough as anything. Also nuked the few little biots left in the marinade and that was even tougher.

So wasn't too sure how the bunny-onna-stick would turn out - turned out brilliant !
    The bacon strips kept it nice and moist while allowing me to cook it long enough to be tender.
    Really tender, very tasty. But if you didn't know what meat it was - seriously you'd not have had a clue.
    Slightly meatier than chicken without being as juicy as pork. Takes a marinade as well as chicken too.
    Good stuff and one more way to eat bunny

So if you didn't get any eggs this morning, tell your kids some bloke in england ate the easter bunny - and he's very sorry

Don't tell the kids, but there'll be more bbq uses for bunny in the near future :-)
    Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Rabbit is good stuff, no doubt. And anything with bacon is better ;{) Nice hop-kabobs!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Damn nice looking bunny... I like it..

Shame I didnt get out and pop a few this last winter after deer season..

Alex, Email me this pic that has been edited.

Thanks
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Lookn' great, Alex. I've eaten my share of rabbit but never had any that looked that good.
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Nice bacon bunny bits Alex
          Keep the hare braising pics coming
          JT

Comment

Okay ken, will do.
            Just too busy to remember to take any of the prep pics - this is going to get done again, so I'll add the early pics next time I make them.

Just as well really, I made a right mess of the carcass lol
            Mind you the meat comes off pretty easy, and you don't need to worry about too many sinews. And I didn't make any distinction between leg, back, shoulder meat etc. It all cooked up pretty much the same.

1 reasonable sized bunny yielded 8 kebabs. And it's way cheaper than chicken lol
            Hell dave's just been given 2000 pellets, so he's not even paying for the ammo
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
              Hell dave's just been given 2000 pellets, so he's not even paying for the ammo
              He's using an air rifle? Probably, considering your gun laws there

I have a fairly serious air rifle. Chipmonks fear me.
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                He's using an air rifle? Probably, considering your gun laws there

I have a fairly serious air rifle. Chipmonks fear me.
                You will never learn...

First is was Boom..

Now it is Bang...

Sheesh...
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                  You will never learn...

First is was Boom..

Now it is Bang...

Sheesh...
                  HAH! No "bang"...just a "pop". ;{)

Comment

Good looking easter rabbit kebabs Alex. Like the bacon wrap idea, bet they were really tasty.
                    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Wow, my grandkids are gonna be pissed... you ate the Easter Bunny, and on a stick no less...

Does look mighty tasty Alex... nicely done!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

just when i threatened to do duck kabobs you eat the easter bunny.
                        brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                        18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                        cast iron Hibachi
                        22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                        & rotisserator
                        12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                        stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                        Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                        http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                        my music recordings-
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                          Lookn' great, Alex. I've eaten my share of rabbit but never had any that looked that good.
                          I second that. Looks great CA, really nice
                          https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Great looking Easter Bunny CA. Points if I got em...
                            ---------------------------------------------------
                            I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                            ---------------------------------------------------
                            KCBS CBJ

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                              HAH! No "bang"...just a "pop". ;{)
                              nope not even a pop - dave's got a .177 and a .22
                              PCP (precharged pneumatics) And they both sound just like someone going 'pst' very very quietly. Seriously you pull the trigger and wonder whether anything happened. No recoil either.
                              The .177 has much higher velocity and flatter trajectory. Basically good for headshots up to and probably a bit over 30 yards.
                              Dave doesn't often miss :-)

Basically the gun laws in england allow any air gun up to 12ft-lb.
                              My weirauch hw 97k is almost smack on 11.5 - factory fresh after about 10 years. Mind you it weighs the best part of 12 lbs.
                              And probably makes more noise than my dad's silenced shotgun lol

To use anything over 12ft-lb you need a firearms certificate licence. And to get one of those you have to prove that you have a sufficiently large parcel of land to shoot on that there is no danger of taking out a member of the public. As a consequence the sub-12ft-lb scene in england is probably one of the mkost advanced in the world, with a significant number of uk manufacturers and factories. Most of the serious airguns sold in the country are actually made here as well. Cannot think of any other industry where this is the case.
                              Plus most vermin: rats, rabbits, pigeons ect can be easily hunted with an air rifle.
                              Hell a .22 with a hollow point and a head shot would probably take out a fox as well.

Thanks for comments and points - always appreciated :-)

I think next bbq I''m going to do some mixed rabbit & pigeon.
                              Since the new shotgun, we're not short of pigeon either lol
                              Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-24-2011, 10:23 AM.
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X