Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chocolate truffle 40th birthday cake I made for a friend :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chocolate truffle 40th birthday cake I made for a friend :-)

So it was a friends 40th last month and for some reason she decided she was coming to tai-chi on the actual day.
    So that was that, had to make her a birthday cake :-)
    Millwall's into chocolate, so after some research this was the most chocolatey cake recipe I could find.
    used this recipe - with some modifications:

I used a mix of 75% cadbury's dairy milk chocolate with 25% 70% dark chocolate. I find if you use all dark chcocolate it really doesn't taste as chocolatey as if you use a mix of milk and plain. I do the same thing for brownies.
    If you can't get CDM (and with kraft owning the company now I can't see how you wouldn't be able to) use a good quality swiss, or europaen milk chocolate (don't get me started on american milk chocolate). And I know you can buy suchard and nestle in wally world.

Make sure you fully line the cake tin. That's with a disc on the bottom and a piece that runs round the side and also has cut flaps that fold over and go under the base piece.
    And use a tall cake tin NOT a shallow victoria tin or a brownie pan. While it was cooking this was 3x the height of the cooled cake.

The cake cooks like a souffle and then just collapses when it cools.
    Have to admit the rustic look really worked well with my basic cake decorating skills (gunny look away now)

Cooled cake

Sliced

I also wasn't keen on the topping in the recipe. So used whipped double/heavy cream mixed about 50/50 with more of the melted milk and dark chocolate mix.

Decorated with: malteesers, white chocolate buttons, white&raspberry chocolate buttons and milk chocolate buttons. Then piped a whipped cream 40 in the middle.

And viola:

Have to admit this was hands down the best chcocolate cake I've ever eaten.
    And that was pretty much a unanimous feeling at tai-chi too. The small piece that was left got taken home and was declared the best of the 4 birthday cakes she had.
    Always nice when you do something for the first time and it works like it's supposed to

So if you're looking for something special in the way of food for a chocolate addict - give this a try and I guarentee they'll love you for it :-)

Decorate the top with the chocolate based candy of your choice. And yes when I started decorating there was a pattern, honest
    Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Looks super tasty............

Comment

Just beautiful mate!... September 17th.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        Just beautiful mate!... September 17th.
        40 again eh ?
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

looks damn good.......btw, what is caster sugar?
          sigpic
          it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
            looks damn good.......btw, what is caster sugar?
            go look at the lemon mousse thread :-)

I have no idea what you lot call it - it's basically a fine ground sugar, somewhere between standard granulated sugar and icing sugar.
            We keep vanilla pods in ours.
            It's great for cake making and baking in general as it creams up much faster and smoother than standard granulated.
            IN fact these days we pretty much just use caster sugar for baking - get these 5 (11lb) kg bags from costco.

Ah ha - what wikipedia says:
            Granulated sugar comes in various crystal sizes—for home and industrial use—depending on the application:

* Coarse-grain sugars, such as sanding sugar (also called "pearl sugar", "decorating sugar", nibbed sugar or sugar nibs) adds "sparkle" and flavor for decorating to baked goods, candies, cookies/biscuits and other desserts. The sparkling effect occurs because the sugar forms large crystals that reflect light. Sanding sugar, a large-crystal sugar, serves for making edible decorations. It has larger granules that sparkle when sprinkled on baked goods and candies and will not dissolve when subjected to heat.
            * Normal granulated sugars for table use: They have a grain size about 0.5 mm across
            * Finer grades result from selectively sieving the granulated sugar
            * caster (or castor[27]) (0.35 mm), commonly used in baking, originally sprinkled from a castor. Castor or caster sugar is the name of a very fine sugar in Britain, so named because the grains are small enough to fit through a sugar "caster" or sprinkler. It is sold as "superfine" sugar in the United States. Because of its fineness, it dissolves more quickly than regular white sugar, and, so, is especially useful in meringues and cold liquids. It is not as fine as confectioner's sugar, which has been crushed mechanically (and mixed with a little starch to keep it from clumping). Castor sugar can be prepared at home by grinding granulated sugar for a couple of minutes in a food processor.
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
              Have to admit the rustic look really worked well with my basic cake decorating skills (gunny look away now)
              Beautiful and yummy cake, CA! When you're making something homemade for a friend, it doesn't matter how it looks! It will be beautiful to them!
              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
              Pink Thermapen
              Purple Thermapen

Comment

May 3rd CA i'll pay for shipping even yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
                Chargriller Pro w. sfb
                Ducane 4100 propane grill
                Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Beautiful and yummy cake, CA! When you're making something homemade for a friend, it doesn't matter how it looks! It will be beautiful to them!
                  well I didn't think it looked quite that bad
                  lol
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                    well I didn't think it looked quite that bad
                    lol
                    It didn't...I said it was a beautiful cake and I meant that!
                    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                    Pink Thermapen
                    Purple Thermapen

Comment

lol just messing with ya
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

This cake looks amazing. I love chocolate and I gotta try this one! I use the caster sugar. It's finer than granulated by not as fine as powered, it dissolves more easily. You can make it yourself by putting granulated in the food processor for a minute or so. Thanks for the recipe CA!

Comment

me like chocolate cake too... might have to give that a try sometimes!!! thks for sharing Alex!
                          Charbroil SFB
                          GOSM
                          MES
                          Dutch Ovens and other CI
                          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Very nice CA, that's one fine looking cake!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

we got lots of new members who probably like chocolate - so
                              Bump :-)
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X