UDS with Weber Lid Test Burn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UDS with Weber Lid Test Burn

Did a test burn in the UDS with the Weber lid today. Wanted to see if I had any major leaks and also wanted to give the wood stove gasket cement a chance to cure.

I used the rest of the Lazarri Mesquite Lump that I had. Not dissing the mesquite, I know a lot of you like it but it is a little strong for my tastes. Had about 2/3 of a basket full and fired it off this morning.

Not knowing what to expect, I took it up pretty slow and was pretty conservative with the air. It settled in at 240ish with just the valve about 1/2 way open. It wanted to creep up a little bit and slowly crept up to 280ish and stayed there for about 4 hours but the drum did not have any meat in it so I wasn't too worried about the temp creep. After 4 hours the temp started to drop a little so I "shook the can" and opened the valve a little bit. Started increasing the intake opening about 1/4 increments every 30 minutes or so to see what kind of range I could get.I was holding it at 240° to 250° for awhile then started taking it up. It is sitting at just over 315° at 2-1/3 open.

The wind was HOWLING today which was actually a good thing since I wanted to test for lid leaks. Looks like I may have gotten lucky with the fit. Other than the creep up in the beginning, the temp seemed real stable. It did not seesaw at all and hopefully with some meat on to act as a heat sink, I can keep it around 250° in the beginning.

My 8 year old daughter had the sidewalk chalk out and put up a little signage on the retaining wall . . .

You can see where the arrows are pointing here.

All in all a pretty encouraging test run. Hopefully I'll get some meat on it next week. I may paint it first though. I know the UDS is supposed to be ugly, but after seeing Bubba's yellow 85, I may have to put a paint job on it at least to begin with. May not ever look clean again after I start cooking on it but at least it will have a start.

Dave
    Last edited by DDave; 03-29-2009, 07:36 PM.
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Great job.
    But I have to ask. Why didn't you paint that thing?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
      Great job.
      But I have to ask. Why didn't you paint that thing?
      Aahh . . . one thing I learned from the other one I started on . . . and then gave up on because the liner was too much of a pain to get out.

Don't paint the outside until you get it exactly how you want it.

I just went out and closed all the valves to make sure I could drop the temp at the end of the cook if I wanted to in order to save the charcoal. Temp dropped about 30° in 15 minutes even with the Weber lid vent open. So I feel pretty fortunate to have a fairly decent seal between the ring and the Weber lid. Opened the valves back up and it is climbing back. I'll let the basket burn all the way out to cure the gasket cement really good. It's been going about 10 hours now on about 2/3 of a basket full of lump.

The real test will come when I do some meat though.

Dave

Dave
      Last edited by DDave; 03-29-2009, 07:31 PM.
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      -

Comment

Makes perfect sense.
        So I guess we can expect something spectacular in the future?
        Ever seen real fire?

Would that look cool or what?

Tom

Comment

So I guess we can expect something spectacular in the future?
          LOL, I don't know about that. I'll settle for something with no runs . . . or at least runs that don't show in the pictures.:blush:

Would that look cool or what?
          Wow, that does look cool!!

If my UDS looked like that I'd want to wax it every weekend instead of cook on it.

Dave
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          -

Comment

looking good - but painting them ?
            Come on - leave it natural.

If you paint it you'll have to clean it and if you clean it paint will rub off and then you'll have to redo the paint job.
            Hell you'll be so busy keeping it clean and shiny you'll never get to cook on it :-)

Or....

As the artistic one in the family you could 'allow' your daughter to paint it as a special treat ;-)
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
              looking good - but painting them ?
              Come on - leave it natural.

If you paint it you'll have to clean it and if you clean it paint will rub off and then you'll have to redo the paint job.
              Hell you'll be so busy keeping it clean and shiny you'll never get to cook on it :-)
              I don't think the paint will rub off -- it will be Duplicolor Hi Heat paint with ceramic. Doesn't need to be hi heat but they happened to have a color that caught my eye.

You do have a good point about cleaning it. Right now, I figure it will look really good -- right after I paint it. I'm sure it will get messy after a few cooks, I'll try not to worry about it too much.

If I find myself worrying about it too much, I'll paint it again . . . but black so I won't notice any of rhe cooking mess.

Dave

On Edit: Or, to promote easy cleanup, I could wax it first. How's THAT for getting carried away??!!

I probably won't though. If my wife caught me waxing the smoker, she would probably have me committed.
              Last edited by DDave; 04-05-2009, 12:13 PM.
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              -

Comment

Working...
              X