Limoncello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limoncello

Princess cruises serves limoncello on their Italian night in the dining rooms. They make it on board and only "sell" the glass. It's great stuff. I know others have made it in the past on here, but our cruise finally kicked me in the butt to get a batch brewing. Started it on Fri. night. Zested 24 lemons and they are now bathing in 1500 ml of Everclear. I'm going to try to leave them in there for 30 days, then add the 1500 ml of simple syrup to the batch and brew another 30 days. That will put me pretty close to July for opening, might not be able to go quite so long, we'll see.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Pucker power, baybay! July is a good time to crack that open tho...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

looking good - I've generally got a bottle of lemoncello in the fridge.

My parents went to sorrento (apparently world capital of lemon growing) and pretty much every shop they went into they got given lemoncello.

Yours is looking good so far
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
        looking good - I've generally got a bottle of lemoncello in the fridge.

My parents went to sorrento (apparently world capital of lemon growing) and pretty much every shop they went into they got given lemoncello.

Yours is looking good so far
        CA, do you make your own? I would have loved to have used Sorrento lemons, but I'm lucky to find any lemons at all around here, so had to settle for Californias from Sams Club. A little over $3.00 for 3#. In the grocery stores they are about $1.00 each.
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah Man!...That would be good on ice in the summer!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

we had some friends over the other night and they brought dessert.They used lemoncello the the sauce it was fantasic.. I may have to steal your recipe there Jim
            sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
            members mark upright propane smoker
            kingsford bbq
            23"weber kettle

Comment

My wife and I make limoncello as an digestive after dinner drink. We make the weaker style with vodka instead of grain alcohol. Can't talk the wife into using everclear after she saw the warnings on the bottle. Looking very good.

Comment

Could you use shine ,I mean if you had it?

Help me here. you just use the zest? Not the lenon juice? and simple surup?
                this is got to be a try..no it is a done deal got the lemons.......can you you do the same with limes.
                sigpic

Comment

I have to make this now

GOSM
                  K.C.B.S Member # 60786
                  Digital Thermometers
                  Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
                  140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

Originally posted by Okie joe View Post
                    Could you use shine ,I mean if you had it?

Help me here. you just use the zest? Not the lenon juice? and simple surup?
                    this is got to be a try..no it is a done deal got the lemons.......can you you do the same with limes.
                    You could use any alcohol really I suppose. Just realize that it may alter the flavor depending on what you use. Plenty of folks use vodka. Most all cordial recipes I've seen use pure grain alcohol to retain the pure flavor of the primary ingredient. Use just the lemon zest, don't want any pith (the white stuff) at all. That will make it bitter. I've got about 3 qts. of lemon juice in the freezer right now, waiting for warmer weather to make lemonade, so no, you don't use the juice. I don't see why you couldn't use limes, or oranges sound good too. There are many recipes and some videos on the net. Here is my recipe:

Limoncello

Zest of 24 lemons
                    1500 ml. of Everclear (or vodka)
                    7 cups sugar
                    11 cups pure or filtered water

Zest the lemons very carefully, no pith. I use a sharp potato peeler. Place in a large clean jar. Add alcohol, allow to steep for a minimum of 10-15 days. I'm shooting for 30. I've seen variations on this next part. Make simple syrup by bringing water to a boil, add sugar, continue to boil until sugar is dissolved, and for an additional 7-10 minutes. Cool to room temp. Some filter the zest out here, and add the syrup to just the liquor, others continue to leave the zest in and add the syrup. Either way allow this to steep or "marry" for an additional 10-15 days minimum (again going to try for 30). Filter out the zest and other particles. You can use a strainer, and then a coffee filter in the strainer to get the last bits out. I will even leave the zest sit in it to drain thoroughlyand get all the goodness. Bottle, I'm saving my Everclear bottles to use. Store in freezer (it won't freeze, just gets very cold). Usually sipped as a digestif or aperitif, but can be blended into cocktails. Sounds good for a warm summer evening on the deck to me
                    Last edited by mulepackin; 04-29-2011, 12:10 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks,Jim very clear and simple instructions....(so it is the oil in the Lemon zest you are extracting.)
                      I can see where the lemon juice would be a diferent product...
                      Got everclear and 100 proof Vodka. Thanks again...
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Okie joe View Post
                        Thanks,Jim very clear and simple instructions....(so it is the oil in the Lemon zest you are extracting.)
                        I can see where the lemon juice would be a diferent product...
                        Got everclear and 100 proof Vodka. Thanks again...
                        I forgot one important step. Scrub the lemons real well with warm water and a vegetable brush, can even use that vegetable wash spray and scrub, and rinse real well. Want to get any pesticides or other nasties off the skins
                        sigpic

Comment

was wondering how it turn out
                          sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                          members mark upright propane smoker
                          kingsford bbq
                          23"weber kettle

Comment

Damn, I must have missed the original post. I'm wondering as well, how did it turn out?
                            https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Sorry guys. In the summer I spend little time on the net, and even less posting. Then all my pics of any of my smokes and other activities have been axed. Anyway, I bottled on the first of July, and we cracked it open on the 4th (my birthday). It has been fantastic! Initially it was like kerosene, but has mellowed nicely. Still, a little high octane for some tastes, but damn, kept frozen, poured into an aperitif glass which has also been kept in the freezer has provided me with many nice evenings lounging on the deck. I am down to my last two bottles (these) between what I gave away, shared and drank with friends. But it has been well worth it. Think I will get another batch brewing to have during the winter, when I need a reminder of summer. That and the 4 cases of Leinenkugels Summer Shandy my buddy stocked up on.
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X