traeger grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• traeger grill

What's the general opinion of the traeger. I know its the big red easy button, I want to see what you all think.
    Whitey
    Primo oval xl, Weber22.5 kettle, 22.5 Weber proforma

Fat Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son!" Dean Wormer, Faber College 1962

Originally posted by whitey View Post
    What's the general opinion of the traeger. I know its the big red easy button, I want to see what you all think.
    Whitey
    The "newer" ones are made in China. I've heard of lots of problems with them. The older "Made in the USA" models were pretty good. Not an expert, used one once - it was set and forget.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

My brother loves his. It's an older USA model one that he got free when he bought his house. It just has the three setting temperature knob instead of actual temp control, but it still works pretty good for most things. He uses it more for grilling than true bbq/smoking. But everything I've had that he's made on it, from steaks to pizza are outstanding.

If I could afford one, it'd be my next purchase.
      Mike
      Life In Pit Row

Comment

A buddy recently bought one & has had problems with his..... He said the customer service was good though.
        sigpic

Comment

What about the pellets? We have tons of guys selling hardwood pellets for wood stoves.Think that will work?
          Whitey

Fat Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son!" Dean Wormer, Faber College 1962

Comment

That I don't know Whitey..... I guess it would depend on what they used to keep them in pellet form?.... One thing about pellet smokers and "puck" smokers like Bradley's, you will be stuck using pellets or pucks, which you may not mind... Bradley pucks are expensive, not sure a!out pellets?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by whitey View Post
              What about the pellets? We have tons of guys selling hardwood pellets for wood stoves.Think that will work?
              Whitey
              I'm pretty sure that has come up before and the answer was, you could, but probably shouldn't because no one knows what kinds of wood they put in those pellets, and if there's anything harmful in them.

As an aside, most of the pellets don't have any form of binders to hold them together, just the natural stuff (lignen I think? can't remember) in the wood. My aunt gave it a go at a business making the bigger pellet logs (think presto-logs) for wood stoves. She could never get the machine to work right and eventually went under, but it's basically just sawdust and a LOT of pressure to make them. The smaller ones for pellet stoves and bbqs are the same thing, just smaller.
              Mike
              Life In Pit Row

Comment

I know some folks who have Tragers and like them, I however would hate to have any smoker I used attached to an electrical outlet(for more reasons than one), and also be forced to use a specific fuel(pellets, etc).
                Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
                  I know some folks who have Tragers and like them, I however would hate to have any smoker I used attached to an electrical outlet(for more reasons than one), and also be forced to use a specific fuel(pellets, etc).
                  I'm with Jimbo on this one... besides, I like playing with FIRE!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
                    Roger that. You are kinda screwed if you run out of either partway through a cook, and you can't usually just run down to the quickie mart, and pick up a bag of pellets.....
                    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

I have done allot of cooking on a Traeger Texas and can shed some light.

Do the cook good? They do a really good job of cooking.
                      Are they made cheaper these days? Helk yes! I know folks who have had controlers, igniters and fans fail. I went through 2 igniters myself. Thats why I went away fom Traegers.

Running out of pellets in the middle of a cook? Anyone who did this would run out of wood as well. Buy pellets by the 1,000 lbs pallet ans save a bunch of money.

Heating pellets? Keep in mind these are not food grade pellets. The wood ground up may contain laquers and stains etc. I suggest for safety sake you avoid these like raw Aligator!

Traeger pellets contain a flavored oil. I personally prefer the flavor of BBQrs Delight pellets. Branch Creek from Epps Farms are another great pellet. These two are used by allot of teams competing running pellet poopers.

In my opinion Traegers are over priced for what you get. Thin metal quality issues and all.

Hope this helps!
                      Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                      Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                      SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                      Yoder Wichita
                      Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                      Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                      Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Rob, how about them Yoder's?
                        sigpic

Comment

I personaly love my Yoder YS640. Its allot of cooker for the money. Mak and Memphis also are contenders as far as pellet poopers with a good reputation from users.

Don't get me wrong, if you don't mind the price and thinner metal the Traeger does cook well.
                          Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                          Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                          SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                          Yoder Wichita
                          Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                          Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                          Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Bestest advice...Learn by learnin...Buy what ya want...won't say Jack Nothin about stuff & thing's...May get me Saco De Goato....
                            Sunset Eagle Aviation
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Thanks Guys,
                              I like the convience, and they look like they would do a good job. I just don't want to be held hostage to the pellets. They are a little pricey as well. I guess you can't beat lump and wood.
                              Whitey

Comment

Working...
                              X