My 30 Gallon UDS Build (18.5")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 30 Gallon UDS Build (18.5")

I have two (Here is last one) 22.5" UDS builds so far, but got the itch to build the 18.5" version after hearing about how fuel efficient the 18.5" WSM's are.

I went for a walk out behind the shop at work, and found an old Case IH No. 1 Engine Oil 30 gallon drum. This thing has to be about 15 years old. They haven't changed at all over this period of time either.

Here's what the new ones look like:

Here it is just after I cut out the top w/ a plasma cutter. My buddy is tryin to cut the lip even closer w/o burning a hole through the side walls

My Dad was browsing Craigslist for Webers, and found a girl selling an 18.5" like new, for $10. So he went and picked it up for me. I drove to his house w/ fingers crossed hoping it would fit better than the 22.5's on a 55 Gal drum. This thing fits PERFECT. I think it's more snug/tight on this drum, than it is on the bottom of the kettle. So no lid mods for this build!

We began the burnout process in his backyard one friday night with a few cold Shiner Bocks and Miller Lites. This fire got HOT. Mesquite, and a cut down Sumac tree. Notice the disc blade on the left for a Wok that he and his neighbor are building. I'll post that next because it's pretty damn cool.

Here they are about 8 beers later. We actually left it burning and went to dinner. He said when he got back it was still burning well. We did this on a Friday, and on Monday morning the bottom of the drum still had super hot coals in it. Too ot to even touch the drum.

Mid week, I pressure washed the outside, but since the coals and ash insulated the bottom so well, the paint didnt' come off completely. So, I figured I'd give it one more burnout after I drilled the 3 intake holes so the bottom 3rd would get plenty of air and stay hot. I used a step bit and drilled three 3/4" intake holes.

Here it is about 5 beers later. This time I used a combo of mesquite and old citrus wood

After a day or two of cooling, I took my angle grinder to it w/ a flap wheel and got it ready for paint. Also smoothed out the inside lip where the lid was cut out.

More to come...

Cool.
    Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
    Modified Chargriller RF
    250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

Okay, I'm really interested in this... I have a 18.5" kettle that has a good lid and a bad bottom (kinda reminds me of the ex-wife...)

Gotta find me a 30 gallon drum... hmmmm...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
        Okay, I'm really interested in this... I have a 18.5" kettle that has a good lid and a bad bottom (kinda reminds me of the ex-wife...)

Ahahahahahahhahahhha

All jokes aside, the lid mod is something I struggled with with both 55 gal drums. This was a perfect fit

Comment

My ex was about the exact opposite...

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post

I know this is making me want to go drum hunting, too.
          Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
          Modified Chargriller RF
          250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

Great start. Love the fire pics also.
            sigpic

Comment

Gonna be a good one! The dog is relaxed...
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I have 4 mini drums waiting in the garage. Mine are even just a bit smaller than the one you built. I have been meaning to get going on them for a while. You just gave me some motivation.
                KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

I saw a couple 20 Gallon Zep drums back there too..just didnt' know what I could use for the lid

Comment

That looks cool.I can get the 1/4 drums at work.I picked up a 22.5" today for 14$ Looks like I need to start looking for 18.5".Thanks for the Idea
                    sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

oft to a good start. i am lookin forward to watching your build.

good luck
                      Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Great post so far, thats gonna be a cool smoker right there

Comment

Nice start on the mini UDS! Nice size drum to transport I would think. Keep the pics coming!
                          sigpic

GOSM/propane
                          UDS (Cam)/lump
                          22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                          Weber Genesis/propane
                          Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderDome View Post
                            I saw a couple 20 Gallon Zep drums back there too..just didnt' know what I could use for the lid
                            2 of mine have "permanent" crimped on lids. 2 of them already had the lids removed when I got them. Not sure what I have planned for them. Probably a small offset or cold smoker for a couple of them and a baby UDS with one of the extras.

I just seem to have more ideas than time.
                            KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Got my ¾ inch pipe welded onto drum. I found a couple pieces of black pipe to make the ideal height. Brace welded to the coupler. My bro-in-law hooked up the welds for me.

Couple close ups

I decided not to go with a theme for the drum, but something that actually looked a little nicer on the patio. I put a primer layer on the drum of high temp BBQ paint. Then I found this hammered textured brown paint that would match the patio pavers.

After one coat

Had to go w/ a new grate, and I cleaned up the donor lid a bit

Here it is after paint, pre-hardware

Holes drilled about an inch and a half down for the grate hardware. I went w/ ¼” x 1-1/2”. I may change these out, after installing, I realized they don’t need to be this long. This was another thing that fits better than the 22.5” builds. The grate doesn’t have a whole lot of slack inside the drum which is nice

Comment

Working...
                              X