temp control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temp control

everything i have read about smoke cooking says to have a temp between 200 and 225. I have a grill with a firebox. how is the fire set up to give only this low temp?

It would help to know what kinda grill yer talkin about...Like how big it is...

Lots of folks use them as charcoal smokers using a basket with chunks of wood and some use them as stick burners...Depends on how big it is...

Oh yeah....Welcome to the forum...A great place to learn the craft
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
      It would help to know what kinda grill yer talkin about...Like how big it is...

Lots of folks use them as charcoal smokers using a basket with chunks of wood and some use them as stick burners...Depends on how big it is...

Oh yeah....Welcome to the forum...A great place to learn the craft

I agree with Craig here.. I did see in your intro post you say you have bought a Master Forge Smoking Pro with a offset fire box.. I did not know Master Forge builds a offset smoker??? I thought they just built verticals..

None the less.. if you ARE using a offset your temps are controlled with airflow.. Leave the exhaust wide open at all times.. Adjust your fresh air intake down to your desired temp..

FWIW.. I run my Oklahoma Joe Longhorn around 250 - 275* on all smokes..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
        I agree with Craig here.. I did see in your intro post you say you have bought a Master Forge Smoking Pro with a offset fire box.. I did not know Master Forge builds a offset smoker??? I thought they just built verticals..

None the less.. if you ARE using a offset your temps are controlled with airflow.. Leave the exhaust wide open at all times.. Adjust your fresh air intake down to your desired temp..

great advice ken

good luck on your good eats
        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Even on my Chargriller I tried to keep a small clean burning fire rather than smoldering wood...I think it provides a cleaner smoke flavor...On the Longhorn...thats no problem since it is alot bigger...

As for temp controll...practice,practice,practice...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

All good advice.
            Gonna go through a lot of trial and error till you figure it out. Different temps for different meat and cook times and results. I run hotter temps than most. The most important thing is the internal temps of what your smokin, if you've got a good thermo, your good to go.
            JT

Comment

Yup, what they said. Smaller fire, and then regulate the air intake. More air, the fire stokes higher and gives more temp. Shut down the air to the fire, and it will reduce the temp. It will require a bit of experimentation to determine how big of a fire to build to keep the temps where you want them by regulating the intake.

Like they said, try to keep the exhaust open.
              BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
              Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
              I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by topsgt1016 View Post
                everything i have read about smoke cooking says to have a temp between 200 and 225.
                Then you haven't read much stuff here yet.

Most folks say 225° to 250° but that's not a hard fast rule either.

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                See.

There are many reasons NOT to try and keep it between 200° and 225°. They range from food safety issues to just sheer frustration. There are certain times when you want to keep it low such as doing Canadian Bacon or some sausages, but for the most part with ribs, shoulders, briskets, etc, I would say the range Ken (Texas-Hunter) gave you is more appropriate. Even higher for chicken.

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

brinkman trailmaster limited ,offset with some mods

Comment

how to start the fire and maintain temp on my offset

Comment

Working...
                    X