Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do y'all stand on propane smokers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do y'all stand on propane smokers?

I am liking the looks of this. But I am concerned on the price of fuel, and how efficient it would be in cooler months.

http://www.campchef.com/smoke-vault-24.html

Anyone use a propane smoker?

I usually stand on top of mine but sometimes I''ll lay it on its side and stand there
    2-22.5'' weber
    1-18'' weber
    1 smokey joe
    22.5'' wsm
    24'' smoke vault
    1-outhouse
    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
    Smoked meathead #135

Comment

I do not have a Gasser ... I have no problem with them.. But if you do go with gas I would suggest adding a needle valve on the gas line.. This way you can control your temps better.. They really help at lower temps..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Somewhere generally outside of them.

I have a hybrid that has a firebox and propane assist. I COULD fire it with wood only, but it's nowhere near as efficient.

I'm just sayin'.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post
          I usually stand on top of mine but sometimes I''ll lay it on its side and stand there
          SMARTASS! LOL!

Comment

I can't speak about that particular model, but my SnP has a propane converson. I love it. I use the UDS more but I'll use the SnP for jerky or Canadian bacon. Love the control of gas.

And as far as efficiency goes, it don't get much worse than a side fire box. But I can still get, I would guess, 30= hours of smoking out of a tank of propane.

The model you show should be much more efficient since it is a vertical. Looks kind of like Bassman's I believe.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
              SMARTASS! LOL!
              Yanno- my Momma told me I was an ass... so ya might better be a smart one than a dumb one.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I don't have one, but my FIL has a big 4'x4'x8' (I think) wood smokehouse that they build a fire in the bottom and use a propane burner in for heat assist. They do SS and Salmon/Steelhead. He says it works great.Where you @ in the Pacific NW?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                  Where you @ in the Pacific NW?
                  Portland.

Comment

Sorry to hear that... Just kiddin..... Just up I-5 in Oly.
                    sigpic

Comment

A few of us around here in the NW. Not a traditional BBQ hot spot, but we hold our own. Pacific NW never been a traditional kind of place in my opinion. And that makes for some good cooking. I mean let's look at it. We have great agriculture from which to get meat, veggies, and fruit. We have access to great seafood(both salt and freshwater). And finally because of all the days of rain we get our heads are moldy, but I believe that it makes us more creative.

Comment

Yep, an amazing variety of foods we have around here. Just wish it rained a little less and was a little warmer,. But then, everyone would move here....:)
                        sigpic

Comment

Good start

That would be a great start smoker that you prob won't outgrow for a long time.

You can always add an electric plate if you need something for lower temps.

I would get the larger unit and discard the therm on the door and replace it with something more accurate.

Looks like a nice unit.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                            I would get the larger unit and discard the therm on the door and replace it with something more accurate.
                            I see that is a MOD a lot of people make despite the source of heat. How crappy are the thermometers that come with units?

Comment

Well... since me and da' Bassman are friends... I'll speak for him!

Keith has a Smoke Vault that is one hell of a good smoker... LP fired and I don't believe it has given him a lick of problems. I've been on the receiving end of many a smokes outta the Vault and haven't complained....

RE: the "efficiency" of LP... I've had lots a esssperience with propane...cuz "I love propane and propane accessories"... mainly my WOK and with the burner size, there is NO WAY you could find a more effiecent fuel. I'm sure Keith will chim in here on what he can get out of a tank... but I usually pull my "empties" off of my BBQ and can run my WOK for a LONG time on what's left.

My $.02

Comment

Working...
                              X