Computer Virus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Virus?

Anybody heard a this computer virus that supposed ta happen on April 1? Spoused ta steal all yer records an data from yer hard drive. Got no idear, feller at work was talkin bout it.
    sigpic

I did see something about it on the MSN home page yesterday, I didn't read much of it, but here it is http://tech.msn.com/security/article...0174&GT1=40000

Comment

would'nt be a april FOOLS joke would it?

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

I haven't heared anything about it yet Tip.

Comment

Well this feller ain't got no sense a humor, but, don't mean sombody wasn't yankin his chain. If it be the one rtom posted, I follered there instructions an seems I'm safe. Just figured somebody here might know, hope it ain't nothin serious, stuff like that just burns my butt!
          sigpic

Comment

The virus they are talking about is a variant of the Conflicker worm.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_153710.htm

This worm exploits the MS08-067 Microsoft Windows Server Service vulnerability in order to propagate. Here is the page for the bulletin that talks about the vulnerability and the patches for affected operating systems.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS08-067.mspx

If you run Windows Update and routinely download and install the Critical and Security Updates, most likely your system is already patched. And if your antivirus software is also up to date, you should be fine.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Anyway microsoft are an all year round april fools joke.

Look at it this way:
              Windows xp has been around for 10 years.
              In that time microsoft have released thousands of 'security' patches for the original code.
              And yet, windows has at least as many security holes now as on release.
              By rights it ought to be the most secure os out there.
              BUT.....
              The same idiot coders who programmed the original flaws are the ones releasing the patches - sooo, each patch closes one hole and opens several new ones.

Best case scenario - never run updates. Your antivirus and antispyware software will then know about all the old 'holes' in your system and you won't add any of the new ones that todays viruses exploit.

Every time you run a microsoft 'update' it's Happy april fools day from Bill and his merry incompetents :-)
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

It was that conflicker virus. It seemed to be a big threat but so far no reports of damage or loss due to it.

Read about it here
                "I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
                PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Comment

I've got 200 computers in my shop, and haven't had any issues (knock knock). The media kinda hyped this one (suprise suprise). Actually the worm has been around for some time; just connecting to the "mother ship" today for updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Geek with Fire View Post
                    I've got 200 computers in my shop, and haven't had any issues (knock knock).
                    We've got 706 (XP/2000/2003) machines here at 5 sites with no calls from users yet or suspicious network activity. (Knock, knock, as well.)

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                    Best case scenario - never run updates. Your antivirus and antispyware software will then know about all the old 'holes' in your system and you won't add any of the new ones that todays viruses exploit.
                    Umm, good luck with that.

Dave
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                      We've got 706 (XP/2000/2003) machines here at 5 sites with no calls from users yet or suspicious network activity. (Knock, knock, as well.)

Umm, good luck with that.

Dave
                      What? No DOS machines (I have 10 left.....can't upgrade)? Showoff.

Comment

What? No DOS machines (I have 10 left.....can't upgrade)? Showoff.
                        Well, we do have 36 Win 98 machines. And also a handful of 95 machines but they can't run the client that reports to our management console (Altiris Deployment Server) so I lose track of exactly how many there are.

Do your DOS machines have specific legacy programs that need to run in DOS? Are you familiar with VMware Workstation? We use it quite a bit here for testing and special situations. Might be an option if you need to still run the DOS program but need to upgrade to a newer box.

Dave
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                          Well, we do have 36 Win 98 machines. And also a handful of 95 machines but they can't run the client that reports to our management console (Altiris Deployment Server) so I lose track of exactly how many there are.

Do your DOS machines have specific legacy programs that need to run in DOS? Are you familiar with VMware Workstation? We use it quite a bit here for testing and special situations. Might be an option if you need to still run the DOS program but need to upgrade to a newer box.

Dave
                          Yea, I've migrated some stations using MS's Virtual PC. But the 10 remaining are connected to really old CNC machines that require full blown DOS. Not only DOS, but DOS running on 386/486 boxes. When one goes down, I have to dig through piles of junk and build "franken-puters".

Comment

Yea, I've migrated some stations using MS's Virtual PC. But the 10 remaining are connected to really old CNC machines that require full blown DOS. Not only DOS, but DOS running on 386/486 boxes. When one goes down, I have to dig through piles of junk and build "franken-puters".
                            LOL... sounds like me trying to keep my old cnc router table chugging along.
                            Steve

Comment

"franken-puters"
                              LOL, I like that term.

It's 12:53 pm and still no calls from users. Not about Conficker anyway. The phone has been ringing off the hook about other issues it seems though. Oh well, all in a days work.

Dave
                              UDS 1.0
                              Afterburner
                              Weber Performer
                              Blue Thermapen
                              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                              Auber Smoker Controller
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X