Auber Smoker Controller Fan Mount on a UDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auber Smoker Controller Fan Mount on a UDS

All righty then . . . Grainger came through with the parts today.

The challenge was to mount this fan with a rectangular opening . . .

to this . . .

UDS with a round intake opening.

After much racking of the brains the past few days, I decided to go with a flange, close nipple and union.

Found some appropriately sized bolts and nuts at the local lumber store, drilled some holes and got the fan mounted to the flange.

Intake view.

Decided to go with a union so I didn't have to spin the whole thing around when mounting it to the drum. Also didn't want to have to deal with over tightening or under tightening to get the fan positioned properly. The blower must be down for the damper inside the throat to close when the fan is off.

Other half of union attached to the fan.

And mounted to the drum.

But that big round thing looked kind of dumb, so I trimmed it up a bit.

Trimmed piece mounted to the fan.

Looks much cleaner, I think.

And mounted on the drum.

It does stick out a fair bit but I figure I can tuck it under the table when I'm smoking to eliminate the trip hazard.

The fittings are Schedule 80 PVC rated to 140°. If it gets a bit mushy, I figure I can add a pipe coupler to get it farther away from the drum. I don't think it will get too hot though since air will be blowing through it and it's below the charcoal basket.

Thanks for looking.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Great idea Dave... liking the flange!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I really don't feel the need to comment because Dave has it under control. Geez..wish I did as well as he.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Cool...Like it... Same as a Avionic's cooling fan we use on flying machine's!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          I really don't feel the need to comment because Dave has it under control. Geez..wish I did as well as he.
          Well, thanks, Rich. I consider that quite a complement.

And thanks to Dana too for nudging me to wait for the parts to mount it. I was getting pretty impatient last week and was ready to just poke another hole through the drum and mount it with the spring.

Much cleaner with the threaded fitting though. I can still unscrew it and use it in the Snp if I so desire to try it out there.

Hoping to fire up the UDS with some lump for a test run on Saturday. I'm very curious to see how it will run.

Dave
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          -

Comment

dave looks like a great toy to play with but why do you need it aren't these drums design to go about 12-16 hrs and temp stay consisent i know my drum this past weekend ran 23hrs straight on one load and temps ran 225 - 275 which is optimal for smoking.....i see alot of guys using these guru's but i just dont see the need for it......again great toy to play with but IMHO its wasted money......please dont take this negaitive its just hard for me to comprehend the concept
            Mike
            Oklahoma City
            22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
            Weber 22.5 Performer
            GOSM 3405gw
            Boomer Sooner Drum
            Maverick ET-732
            Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
            A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
              dave looks like a great toy to play with but why do you need it aren't these drums design to go about 12-16 hrs and temp stay consisent i know my drum this past weekend ran 23hrs straight on one load and temps ran 225 - 275 which is optimal for smoking.....i see alot of guys using these guru's but i just dont see the need for it......again great toy to play with but IMHO its wasted money......please dont take this negaitive its just hard for me to comprehend the concept
              You're right, it doesn't probably need it, and no apology necessary. But it is a cool toy.

It is very similar to the control systems that I used when I was a boiler/dry kiln operator so there is where some of the fascination is.

Also, I have had times, especially with lump, when my drum temp took a dive and I really had to fark with it to get the temp back up. I have also had the really long stable runs if nothing is disturbed, but it doesn'talways run that way. Especially with inconsistently sized fuel like lump.

I'm also interested to see how it runs on the SnP.

But, you're right. It's more of a toy than a tool but it has it's uses.

Dave
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              -

Comment

It's not about need, it's about WANT...

Do I NEED one for my WSM? Prolly not. Do I WANT one? HELL YES!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

isn't there ging to be good chance of the wood catching light when you're running the fan ?

I can see the advantage in having a 'boost button'.
                  Just not sure about the lumps of wood keeping to a smoulder while it's running.
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                    It's not about need, it's about WANT...

Do I NEED one for my WSM? Prolly not. Do I WANT one? HELL YES!!

And another thing I forgot to mention in my earlier reply, although a drum may be able to run 23hrs straight on one load with temps between 225 - 275, -- a 50° swing -- with a PID controller it will more likely run 23 hours straight with a 5° swing (or less) with occasional dips when lifting the lid.

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                    isn't there ging to be good chance of the wood catching light when you're running the fan ?
                    I don't think so. The bottom of my charcoal basket is 3" off the bottom of the drum. The intakes are centered 2" off the bottom. Plus I have an ash pan that is probably 2-1/2" high that sits on the bottom of the drum.

So the fan won't be blowing directly on the fuel. And it doesn't really blow steady but rather "pulses" for a second or so at a time depending on how far away from the setpoint the measured temp is.

Dave
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    -

Comment

Working...
                    X