Smoker possibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoker possibility

Just wondering about this freezer / fridge. Not really sure which it is but I thought it may make a nice smoker for sausage, etc. It has doors about 8 inches thick with paint over some type of metal that I assume to be aluminum. I have to move it out of a garage and before doing so I wondered what opinions people might have. It is one heavy SOB. The shelves currently in it are definitely aluminum and appear to be quick freeze shelves although I can't confirm it nor would they need to stay. Otherwise I can just scrap it...

Sorry for the crappy pics but it is all I have for a camera and its my cellphone.
    Attached Files

Looks like it's insulated ;{)

Might have to change some gasketing, but it's all enameled metal, right?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Looks like it's insulated ;{)

Might have to change some gasketing, but it's all enameled metal, right?
      Im thinking so; Gaskets would be a given for sure. The black transitional material in the door opening appear to be phenolic in nature and given its age a good possibility. Stainless can be added there.

Comment

I don't know if any "guts" are still in it, but it might be possible that they are worth something.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          I don't know if any "guts" are still in it, but it might be possible that they are worth something.
          That's what I was thinking when I first saw the pic's. Old refrig's are collectibles to some people and it might be worth trying to sell it as such.

It would make a real cool smoker
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanMcG View Post
            That's what I was thinking when I first saw the pic's. Old refrig's are collectibles to some people and it might be worth trying to sell it as such.

It would make a real cool smoker

Interesting. I believe the guts are there. Obviously it needs a good cleaning but it really is in good shape. Its free at any rate so can't lose much other than the possible hernia from moving it. I will get some better pics once its cleaned; gonna have to borrow a camera since all my phone pics look like I borrowed Rich's camera...

Comment

as a semi-pro scrapper and fridge-smoker lover, that thing is a gold mine! here's a few ideas/answers for you to think about:

1.) take a magnet. if the door/grates, etc. are magnetic, it's steel. if not, it's either copper or aluminum. my bet is on copper and steel for the most part.

2.) I have yet to see a door that is made of metal on the inside. the ones i have worked with are all either plastic or one was made of a heavy cardboard, painted and coated in plastic.

3.) 995 of the time, those all used fiberglass batt-style insulation. that's great news for you as you will not need to remove the inner liner to remove and replace the insulation.

4.) you are probably right about the door edging material... it is probably plastic. just replace it with stainless and you are good to go. line/coat/run a bead of firecaulk or high-temp RTV around the edges to verify that the insulation is completely separated from the food chamber. there is a pretty good chance that a lot of it is asbestos-related.

5.) if you want to make some of your money back, strip out the wires, copper linesets, and the compressors. if it's magnetic, it's steel. around here (and it varies by location and buyer), steel is between $210 and $250 per ton. you probably have at least 200-250 lbs of steel there by the time you figure your compressors (at LEAST 60-80 lbs each), the racks, misc. metal pieces you probably have around the house, etc.. Copper is around $3.10 per pound, aluminum is about $0.50-$0.80 per pound.

I'll shoot you a PM with some more info about them too...

Later,
              Andy
              Current babies:
              -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
              -RichTee's Lang :)
              Former Lineup:
              -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
              -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
              -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
              -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
              BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Working...
              X