First try at cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First try at cheese

Got the amazen in yesterday, threw it on the grill for about 30 minutes as high as I could to burn off anything it was packed in. The torch came with it, minus the butane so I had to use the old welding torch to get it going. I kind of went off what I heard on here cause there are no directions included so...I went 2 hours with hickory for the mozzarella and 2.5 hours for the pepper jack and medium cheddar. Put all my chips in the pot so I hope they turn out ok. They do smell a little strong. Ran out of vacuum bags so I'll get the rest done tomorrow.
    Attached Files
    MES SS
    Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
    Weber Genesis
    Green Mountain Daniel Boone

Sweet... Todd's smoker works great.. I know I need to smoke some cheese.. I am completely out...
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Nice Moss. Now the tough part. Waiting a week or two. The cheese really mellows and the smoke flavor permeates the block with some aging.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

mmmm cheese. Milks leap toward immortality. And adding smoke, , ,dayum gimmie some Waiting a week is kinda like food foreplay. Worth the wait Mossy. Good job there and like Rich said, it'll mellow. Great work
        JT

Comment

Nice job Mossy that should taste pretty darn good out on the lake with some of those Jalapeno snack stix

Happyness is a full smoker

Comment

yep always smellsa bit harsh fresh off the smoker.

1-2 weeks and you won't believe it's the same stuff

I'm down to my last couple of blocks :-(
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks guys, good to know it will mellow out. Smoker temp stayed right around 65 but did manage to get up to almost 85 at one point. Opened door for a bit and we were back in business.
              MES SS
              Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
              Weber Genesis

Comment

Nice work Mossy. I broke out the cheese and Amazen smoker yesterday as well. I too followed what I remember from reading here. The only thing I regret is that I don't have the mozzarella that you have. I like home made mozz, smoked, and on home made pizza on the grill. Heres some points for your efforts !

Comment

Marty, looks like you hit a home run, cant wait for your final review.. i am not sure I could wait the week though...

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Looks really good! I think I should smoke some more before the weather gets too warm to do it. Excellent job by the way.
                    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Good lord I love some smoked cheese. That there looks great! Smoked cheese goes great with smoked Pecans too and some cold beer!
                      Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                      Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                      SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                      Yoder Wichita
                      Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                      Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                      Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

thats some great lookin cheese great job
                        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

We bought some smoked gouda at costco a couple weeks ago, that stuff is great. Unfortunately when I went to buy cheese the other day , the only gouda they had was already smoked. Really looking forward to this wait
                          MES SS
                          Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
                          Weber Genesis

Comment

Nice bit of cheese you made there! One that I tried and liked quite a bit was Provolone...it takes the smoke really well. Co-Jack is another one that takes on smoke very well. Haven't tried gouda yet....too spendy for this tight-ass...

Gotta love that A-Maze-N-Smoker!

L8r,
                            Eric

Comment

So far I've smoked: red leicester (one of the best for smoking) various maturities of cheddar, brie & stilton.

I guess mainly becaused these are the cheeses it's easy to get in decent sized chunks. As well as the cheeses we eat the most of.

One thing to bear in mind is that once smoked and fridged for a week or so, you can vacpack and freeze. Due to the high fat and solids content of cheese it freezes and defrosts really well.

Before vacpacking soft cheeses (like brie) wrap it in clingfilm first, the vacumn draws the film tight and the cheese doesn't get squashed :-)
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X