Got my first gig :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my first gig :-)

Some friends who came to my 40th bbq (outdoor, in freezing conditions) have asked me to cater for their daughters 18th.
    ONly for about 20 people (which I've done a few times before)
    Hell I'd do it at cost, used to babysit for rebecca when she was a toddler.

But it's a good place to start. Just need to get the smoker fixed or the uds built - preferably both lol.
    It'll be an english bbq - what you lot call grilling ;-)
    But these days I like to pre-smoke a lot of the stuff and reheat and caramelise the outside on the grill. Best of both worlds. You get slow food that's quick on the day

So now just have to cost up and work up a menu.
    Also work out what I'm going to cook on.
    Large disposable grills are looking favourite at the moment as I've not found a decent catering gas grill yet. And they'll do the job and be cheap enough.
    Did a bbq for 50 a few years ago for a frineds 60th and used them for that - worked really well.

Anyway thought I'd let you guys know, the party's in a local village with a lot of money - so with luck I Might get some other jobs out of it.
    Fingers crossed :-)
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Thats great CA good luck

You still making that Biltong.
    Steve

Comment

You still making that Biltong.
      When I can afford the beef :-)
      Current snack of choice is dehydrator ground jerky.
      I can make it out of just about any meat and it's quick and hassle free and seriously good :-)
      At some point I'll have to add smoke to it. Thinking a couple of hours cold smoke then into the dehydrator to finish off (and yes I'm curing it rich lol).
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
        At some point I'll have to add smoke to it. Thinking a couple of hours cold smoke then into the dehydrator to finish off (and yes I'm curing it rich lol).
        Good boy! And good luck with the party.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Good luck CA, hope you score some more work out of the deal.
          KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Good for you... Thats great.. Hopefully someone will be taking pics of the aardvark at work.. ;)
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

congrats...

sigpic

Comment

WTG on the party. Good luck with it and the future ones that come from it.

Comment

Good deal CA! Take lots of pics for us.
                  jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dude, keep it up...er...keep moving forward. Who knows you may become a rage in the Isles and rich to boot!

Comment

Well..... Did you do this yet? You know us Yanks... Cant never please us..
                      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

That's great news. I cater events all the time. Now I just need to learn how to smoke properly and I can expand my menu.

Comment

Atta aboy CA, fling some smoke around buddy!
                          sigpic

Comment

Congrats CA! Have you done the gig yet? What did you decide on for the menu? Make sure you get some pix for us!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

we're up to 25 guests - I talked myself into doing the sides as well (well, no point letting them buy some junk in and ruin the bbq ;-)
                              And a couple of veggies like ly to turn up so I'll make my veggie sausages and some haloumi and sweet pepper kebabs. Tempted to smoke the veggie sausages (I've used the mix succesfully to make veggie fatties) as you have to precook them to set the shape of the mix.

So far I'm doing: Prawn and scallop kebabs with 21-25 shrimp and king scallops - 2 scallops and 3 shrimp to a kebab: marinade half in butter, garlic, lemon juice, little honey and pepper. And since they added the extra 5 people I've decided to do half with dutchs maple syrup glaze as well.

Doing boerwors and beer and herb sausages.
                              Minted lamb grills (ground lamb with mint, ginger, garlic and honey) They'll be pre-smoked
                              Thai style prawn cakes (look like mini burgers) Tried smoking those and they were unpleasant :-) so they'll be pre-cooked in the oven, sorry.
                              Ribs - my way (no bubba not boiled lol) basically I pre slice the racks and use a sticky marinade for a day or so (tempted to use cure salt in the marinade as well) and slow grill them. Probably six small racks. Aim for around 60 actual little ribs.
                              My coleslaw and potato salad.
                              My sate sauce (I'll post up the recipe at some point) and probably a tangy bbq style sauce of some description that I expect I'll improvise nearer the day :-)
                              And a load of garlic bread and ciabatta. Buy those part baked.
                              Oh yeah and some smoked fatties with 18 running through them as a sort of starter (I hope lol)

I've been using the amounts I calculated in my last couple of home bbqs and I think I've got it about right.

Now all I need is to decide what i'm going to cook on :-) (yeah you'd think that would come first right ?)

I'm tempted to put some little bowls of ground jerky around to try and hook people on it - as I'm pretty sure it's my best bet for a full on commercial venture. We'll see.

Anyway you look at it it's going to be a blast.
                              The most important thing is of course making a Curious Aardvark gourmet bbq t-shirt !
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X