First try at Pork Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First try at Pork Butt

I had a chance to try smoking a pork butt last weekend. It cooked well enough but it didn't have the smoke ring or the flavor that I was hoping for. I smoked it for 12 hours at around 200 deg. F. I kept the hopper loaded with mesquite chunks. I however did not keep the water pan filled continually. I used a propane smoker and it held the temp really well. Where did I go wrong?:confuse:
    P.S. I smoked three yardbirds as well they turned out pretty well but not really smoky either.

What type of thermo did you keep track of the temp with?

Mesquite in a strong smoke... Hmmm how big was the butt? 12 hours might be around 4 short...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Hey John,

One thing that will add alot of flavor and some bark is to use a dry rub with yellow mustard as the glue. Don't know if you did that or not. You can also inject some liquid flavors as well or use a marinade in the fridge for 24 hours.

Another thing you may want to consider is smoking that butt at 250, it will save you a lot of time and it won't affect the smoke either.

Anyway, congrats and keep at it. It's all a learning expereince and we all have smokes that don't quite hit expectations every so often. That's what keeps me coming back, well that and good vittels
      Pete
      Large BGE
      Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

You might also find a finishing sauce to go with it.I really love soflaquers finishing sauce* its a viniger based sauce and reall adds a zing to pour p.p.
        2-22.5'' weber
        1-18'' weber
        1 smokey joe
        22.5'' wsm
        24'' smoke vault
        1-outhouse
        Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Internal temp.....That is the key not time. 195-205. Use a probe therm like a Taylor or Maverick for meat actual temp. What thermometer did you use for smoking temp,the one on the machine, usually not accurate. Put some charcoal chunks in the smoker box (2 broken in half) for a ring in most cases. Keep the water pan filled and don't keep opening the lid. YMMV

A perception only, It works for me using a MES with no combustion.

Comment

200 degrees will do it but its a loooong smoke. Got to cook to 195 to 200 internal temperature even if it takes forever. Might bump up the smoker temp as others have suggested.
            Keith

Comment

Big John,

I did several butts this last weekend as well. These were the first I've done in my propane GOSM. You can check it out here.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1428

You can see the smoke ring on the edges but no where near as prominent as the beef roast I did. Nor was it as smoky as the beef. I suspect it's from the layer of fat that was on them. Did you score the fat? Most of that is discarded, and I think holds a lot of the smoke flavor. But, this was by far the moistest pulled pork I've ever made.

I did several on the ECB, prior to joining the forums. Before I knew better. Billowing white clouds of smoke, way too hot and no thermometer. They were smoky all right. But dry.

I don't think you did anything wrong. Check out BigRedQ's sticky. Double check your thermometers and cook to temp. Keep the chamber between 225 and 250, and cook untill internal temps around 200. Allow enough time, no matter how long it takes. Maybe score the fat next time for more smoky flavor. Practice makes perfect. Good luck.
              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

Did you pull the butt or slice it. I know for me, I get in a hurry sometimes when pulling and don't notice a smoke ring. But then I guess with as many butts as I have under my belt (little joke there for Rich) I don't even look anymore. I also slice a lot of the bark and some meat off the top before I pull, to add to the beans.
                I have no experience with propane, but many moons ago I started with an ECB. My chunks and chips would burn so fast they didn't have time to add any flavor just creosote. Then a guy I met said to soak the chips in water for about an hour or 2, then wrap in foil and poke some holes in the top. I think this is pretty much standard. Worked great and ought to work for your gas burner. I would think. Really

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Big John View Post
                  I had a chance to try smoking a pork butt last weekend. It cooked well enough but it didn't have the smoke ring or the flavor that I was hoping for. I smoked it for 12 hours at around 200 deg. F. I kept the hopper loaded with mesquite chunks. I however did not keep the water pan filled continually. I used a propane smoker and it held the temp really well. Where did I go wrong?:confuse:
                  P.S. I smoked three yardbirds as well they turned out pretty well but not really smoky either.

If your chamber therm is correct, and you smoked it at 200 degrees, I doubt it ever got to 190 let alone 200 degrees internal.

No reason to smoke any pork or beef at 200 unless your doing jerky. Bump it up to 235-250. Better bark, better smoke and faster cook to proper temp!
                  Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Big John View Post
                    I smoke mine at 210 for about 22 hours and still have to raise the temp to 225 to finish; your smoking it at 200 which is your target internal temp and would take way more than 24 hours to hit at a 200 cooking temp. Even the chickens may not have reached a safe temp at 200 in the cooker.

Turn up the heat and cook it longer; most important get a thermometer to measure internal temp of the meat.

And someone already mentioned the mesquite smoke.

Comment

All good advice here.

I usually slather my butts with yellow mustard and then the rub, wrap in plastic, then overnight in the fridge. I get my chamber temps uo to 225º to 250º, hickory is my wood of choice. I mop them in one hour intervals with a mix of apple juice and lime juice, until they reach an internal of 165º to 170º, then wrap in aluminum foil with more of the mop mixture. I let them get to between 195º to 205º, remove from the smoker, and wrap them up in a towel (do NOT remove the foil!) and let them sit for an hour or two.

When I remove the foil, I reserve the juices in a container and skim off the excess fat. I then pull the meat, removing veins or chunks of fat along the way, then pour the juices back into the pulled meat. I add a vinegar based finishing sauce and mix everything together very well. I usually let the pork sit in the fridge overnight to let it get friendly with its juices and the finishing sauce. Reheat and serve!
                      Last edited by HawgHeaven; 04-02-2009, 11:52 AM.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

You can also put them in a cooler and hold them for several hours rather than wrap in a towel.

I like your idea of reserving the juice and add those goodies back later.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin Bill View Post
                          You can also put them in a cooler and hold them for several hours rather than wrap in a towel.

I like your idea of reserving the juice and add those goodies back later.
                          Ooohhh yeah, that's some good flavor right there!! Also helps the moisture level...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                            Ooohhh yeah, that's some good flavor right there!! Also helps the moisture level...
                            See here's my thing; I cook in a Stump's Smoker so I really have no reason to wrap and the lazy part of me agrees wholeheartedly. I need to get off my butt (no pun intended) and start doing some wrapping so I can enjoy all those goodies I pour down the drain; I do it for my brisket flats which have finished in the top ten and as a result have a very tasty dipping sauce.

Comment

get friendly w/ it's juices... that should be a t-shirt.
                              brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                              18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                              cast iron Hibachi
                              22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                              & rotisserator
                              12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                              stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                              Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                              http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                              my music recordings-
                              http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Working...
                              X