Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backyard Masonry Cabinet Smoker Build

Hi

I am looking for some input on a masonry smoker design. The plan is to set a metal fabricated frame and doors on a concrete pad then set stone masonry walls around it. Before I get to far into the project I would appreciate some feedback on my proposed design.

I am looking for input on:
    1. Intake and exhaust size location. Exhaust on the top or set it up for reverse flow near the bottom.
    2. Overall size and dimensions .
    3. Any other comments.

I will try to update this post with photos along the way.

Thanks
    Attached Files

I like the idea & look in general myself ..... I'm not good on the build or specs. part of that stuff though.... There are some great fabricators on here that should be along shortly to offer some comments.
    sigpic

Comment

That looks like a classy set-up. Love the masonry.

I'm no mason or fabricator, but I love that idea. Keep us up on how it comes together.

That's a smoker even my wife would like sitting around.

BTW, Welcome to the site.
      Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
      Modified Chargriller RF
      250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

looks like a very good idea. well insulated for sure.
        seems to be in order. my 1st thought was clean up the ash. guess just open the fire box door and use a steel ash/ dust pan for removel.
        and on the concrete pad fire brick on top. concrete in my experiance does not hold up well with heat. lot of spalding takes place with other detramental things.
        and I was thinking instead of the baffles on the fire box door that may over time fall to positions you did not want. some steel pipe through the rocks / brick to the fire box with the baffels on the ends N-w-and E with the door making a good seal on the S side.
        and I did not notice any smoke stacks. one large one I guess would work with a baffle / flange, 12 or so inches from the top of the stack to regulate heat and smoke exsaust.
        I hope you post more of your project. pretty cool.
        sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
        nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Cowgirl has a wooden one that you could use as a template for the smoker itself, perhaps.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...mokehouse.html
          Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

I like it except for the firebox. I would have an outside firebox for a better range of smokehouse temperature. i.e. smoking sausage at 140 degrees or bacon at 120.
            Keith

Comment

What would be cool... is if you can build the fire box below the smoker, allowing convection to do it's thing.

BUT..is it a BBQ smoker..or more a cold/sausage type setup? Or BOTH?
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks for the fast feedback. Keep it coming.

The primary use will be as a BBQ smoker.

I have left enough space on the lowest rack so I could pile a layer of fire brick over the fire box creating a good thermal break. I would imagine with a small fire and a good mass separating the fire box from the smoke chamber I should (If I wanted to get a pretty cold smoke)

I am planning on lining the floor and the fire box with fire brick and set a grill up on a couple of bricks to allow for good air circulation and a way to easily shovel out ash.

I am leaning toward installing two chimneys one at the low level and one right at the top. This way I could toy with conventional flow and reverse flow. I think a 4” chimney should be large enough. Any comments on this matter would be appreciated.

Comment

Reverse flow is kinda a misnomer. One does not "reverse flow" hot air with out forcing it. One CAN alter it's path, however, and that's what reverse flow smokers do. Add one if ya like, but I can see no application for a lower vent allowing smoke to hang out and perhaps precipitate nasties.
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

don't worry about the cold smoke aspect... you can cold smoke on a drum if you wanted to... you just gotta pay attention to the heat and know what to do. one or two briquettes and a pile of wood chips will last a while and never raise the temp in that thing above MAYBE 2*F. with the walls being as heavy as they seem to be, i doubt you would ever really need the fire brick. even if you do, and you would only be doing cold smoking in there with them, you could use regular bricks, concrete, pavers, etc and be just fine.

with that design, you could have yourself a nice little WFO too. just leave the door open, or make a removable insert and build your fire as big as possible below... the walls would be one hell of a thermal mass.

also, remove the cross-members in the front. by the time you reinforce the grates and you have your supports on the sides, the front and back grate supports are too redundant and only allow for a problem down the road.

do you plan on insulating the door(s) at all? either way is fine... i would insulate it if yuo are going to go through all this work to insulate the other 3 walls anyway... it would be a much better, and much more efficient smoker.

also, i would go deeper than the 1'6"... go at least 24" deep. that way, you can lay racks of ribs front to back without having to trim at all, a lot more butts, etc. the biggest reasoning through would be the ribs.

as far as the exhaust, go with the reverse flow with the exhaust down low. they are much more efficient, much more even, and in the end, you will want to go that route anyway (trust us. lol). forget about the flue at the top... it will only be a source for heat loss, smoke loss, and air infiltration. The other thing, is that in order to run a reverse flow cabinet, you need to install "false walls" on the sides anyway. there is no good way to install/remove the walls in order to "convert" your smoker back and forth.

keep us informed. i'd be VERY interested to see how it turns out.

Later,
                    Andy
                    Current babies:
                    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                    -RichTee's Lang :)
                    Former Lineup:
                    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
                      with that design, you could have yourself a nice little WFO too. just leave the door open, or make a removable insert and build your fire as big as possible below... the walls would be one hell of a thermal mass.
                      Red Rider - WFO = Wood Fired Oven which is ONE HELL OF AN IDEA given your mason design!!! I LIKE THAT!! Check out some of Uncle Honkey's (Ryan) posts. If you could pull off a dual BBQ/WFO - you would be da King a da Mountain!

...and I guess I should tell everyone I'm on BBQ Engineer's cabinet smoker promotion payroll.. Two consecutive posts selling that design today!

Check out some of his design posts regarding the stack and flow design - your project would be perfect for that, and it might help you make some final decisions.

Love your design - the only draw back I see... you GOTTA get it right the first time! Once I've completed the fabrication of a build like this, I'm usually just getting started! I'm assuming you will give your smoker a thorough testing before you mud it up.

Comment

do you have dimensions for this smoker? That would help figure out your flow chambers and such. I like your start for sure. If you can post up the dimensions for us

on edit: i see you are still up in the aiur on the size....that is the first thing you need to nail down. after that then you can decide what type or style is best. What are you going to use this for the most (what do you smoke the most)?
                        Jerod
                        GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                        sigpic

Comment

timplate bbq form square fb.xls

this should help ya out
                          Jerod
                          GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                          sigpic

Comment

Just put a good deflector plate between the fire box and the cooking chamber and you'll be fine. I've found that with a vertical flow a rolled plate works well. I use a 28" radius cut the width and depth minus a few or so inches all around. I have a side box though. Not that it matters, once your heat mass comes to temp you'll burn less fuel and the overall temp will normalize (given the design with mortar, rock etc.) I think I have the calcs. for intake and exhaust somewhere. i'll give a look.

Originally posted by GOT14U View Post
                            [ATTACH]6502[/ATTACH]

this should help ya out
                            Never mind
                            sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

Working...
                            X