Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graduation Cook-Brisket, beans, Chix-bonus pics new smoking patio and Cocoa Dora Dove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graduation Cook-Brisket, beans, Chix-bonus pics new smoking patio and Cocoa Dora Dove

Hey Everyone,

My neighbor's kid is graduating, and he asked his parents if they thought I woud smoke for his graduation party? Gotta tell you, I was actually flattered by it. Took a rare day of vacation today and am firing up the Iron Maiden...Here's what's on the menu.

45 lbs of Angus Brisket
    40 lbs of Chicken Quarters - I'm going to part these out.
    Beans - Mrs. Engineer (My Queen of Sides) is gonna put something together for me.

So, I knew it is gonna be a long day of smoking, so I started with a healthy breakfast. Whole grain toast, smeared with real butter, and sprinkled with sugar and Saigon cinnamon. DELICIOUS!

Here is the the Briskets.

Trimmed and Rubbed...definitely got the mess in place. Nice mountain of trimmings.

Iron Maiden is stoked and applying some Wild Cherry, Pecan and Hickory to the Briskets.

We took out our hot tub, and Mrs. Engineer suggested that this become my "Smoking Patio"...Seriously, did she think I would object?

It's right off the covered deck and close to where I park the Iron Maiden anyway. Already has a TV and is hooked to the house sound system. FRICKIN A!

Here's my Pet Dove...she built a nest right outside of the front door. When I think of Dove, I think of Chocolate, so I have named her Cocoa Dora Dove. She's pretty cool and I can keep a close eye on her out the transom window.

Cold and Rainy today...My Purple Martins are hating it. They are just hanging out in their houses and occasionally come out and puff up on their porches. I'll have at least 100 martins in my houses by end of summer (adults and babies). They be some bug eatin' monsters, and are cool to have around.

More pics to come as I get to the Chicken, take some intermediate shots of the brisket, and get some beans ready to go.
    Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 05-20-2011, 10:40 AM.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Get after it Cat Daddy!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Rock on!
      Sounds like a great way to spend a vacation day.

I would like to put up some bat houses. I read that one of them can catch like 600 mosquitos/hr. We have some that live in the trees behind our house.

Cool dove, too. MMMMMM...chocolate. Now I'm completely distracted.
      Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
      Modified Chargriller RF
      250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

Rockin so far..... Outside TV is the way to go ..... Bring back the hot tub though
        sigpic

Comment

I'll second that. Hot tub, TV, smoking. Sounds like a win, win, win.

Please, no speedos.

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
          ..... Bring back the hot tub though
          Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

Originally posted by new smoke View Post
            Hot tub, TV, smoking. Sounds like a win, win, win.

Please, no speedos.
            Who said anything about swim suits? I back to the woods, and the deer, coyotes, and bobcats think I look pretty good in my birthday suit.

Seriously, We may replace it some time...we'll see how big of withdrawl Mrs. Engineer has. It was pretty awesome sitting out there in the winter time, drinking adult beverages and watching TV in the hot tub with my beautiful and naked better half. The old one had lived a useful life, but in the mean time I get a dedicated "Smoking Patio".
            BBQ Eng.

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I hear ya! We live out in BFE. No clothes required.

TMI? Maybe.

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
              Who said anything about swim suits? I back to the woods, and the deer, coyotes, and bobcats think I look pretty good in my birthday suit.

Seriously, We may replace it some time...we'll see how big of withdrawl Mrs. Engineer has. It was pretty awesome sitting out there, drinking adult beverages and watching TV in the hot tub with my beautiful and naked better half. The old one had lived a useful life, but in the mean time I get a dedicated "Smoking Patio".
              Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

Originally posted by new smoke View Post
                TMI? Maybe.
                Nahhhh, I've showed you guys my butt(s) before!
                BBQ Eng.

Comment

Nahhhh, I've showed you guys my butt(s) before!
                  Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

Very cool Dana. That's a helluva compliment to be asked to cook for someones kids graduation. Get after it
                    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Awesome pics! Love the Martin condo. I need to get me one. I would be torn between having that spot as my BBQ room or getting another hot tub. I would want both! Can't wait to see more pics!

Comment

Can't wait for the results,I know what you mean about an honor to be asked.MY buddy's Daughter has asked me to do a smoke for their wedding in July..150+ peeps and I em a little /lot nervous
                        sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                        members mark upright propane smoker
                        kingsford bbq
                        23"weber kettle

Comment

Things look to be going swimmingly.
                          I'd have to kick that bird out of my gutters though.
                          There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
                            Things look to be going swimmingly.
                            I'd have to kick that bird out of my gutters though.
                            She isn't hurting anything and is tucked under the front porch away from the downspout...her nest is elevated so any backup in the gutter doesn't get the nest wet. I decided she could stay and besides, it makes me smile when I look out and she is out there doing her thing.

Here's the next installment in today's cook...

It's raining in buckets! I have a large chimney and the water is causing a lot of steam as it goes down and hits the baffle plate. I need to make a rain cap for the chimney.

leg quarters. I parted about half of them and left the others a leg / thigh combo. Here they are hit with a spicy rub and ready to go outside.

Into some cherry wood smoke in my insulated cabinet.

Brisket be lookin' GOOOOOD!

Cow Girls are helping, but the rain has kinda put a damper on their enthusiasm for helping me stoke the rigs.

BBQ Eng.

Comment

Brisket be lookin' GOOOOOD!
                              Talk about an understatement. Those things are looking fan-friggin-tastic!

Was out in the garden a few minutes ago and it started coming down so my mule knows how your girls feel, she ran for cover under a tree soon as a drop hit her head.
                              There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X