Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germanfest - Syracuse NE

http://www.syracusene.com/tourism_germanfest.asp

okay okay... it's not a cookoff (technically), but we have a fellow smoker here who need some help breaking in the new rig. New Smoke can chime in with the finer details.

tennatively speaking right now, i am thinking of getting a little "redneck flotilla" and making the trek down there. right now, it's me and a guy from work heading down saturday morning, drinking all day, eating some meat, and possibly crashing/sleeping in the truck that night, rather than risking the drive back.

anyone else interested? The first thing that comes to mind when i hear "Germanfest" is the movie "Beerfest" with a massive smoker of ribs somewhere in the background. lol

Later,
    Andy
    Current babies:
    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
    -RichTee's Lang :)
    Former Lineup:
    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Not quite as many hot young thangs as "Beerfest" but other than that, good times.

The more the merrier! I'll be there all day.
    Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
    Modified Chargriller RF
    250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

one thing i didn't see on the site was price... what does it cost for an all you can eat ribapalooza?
      Current babies:
      Former Lineup:
      -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)

Comment

As far as I know, they are still having the rib contest. You get one rack or ribs and they judge them. Pretty simple.
        Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

$10 last year. Ribs, chicken, sides and drink. I'll know more after I meet with the organizer.

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
          one thing i didn't see on the site was price... what does it cost for an all you can eat ribapalooza?
          Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

Originally posted by new smoke View Post
            As far as I know, they are still having the rib contest. You get one rack or ribs and they judge them. Pretty simple.
            throw up some info about this... i might have to throw Wu's drum in the truck... hint hint...
            Current babies:
            Former Lineup:

Comment

Not a whole lot to tell. They give you one rack of ribs, BB ususally, and you work your magic on them. Turn in at like 4 PM and they have a panel of locals judge them. Last year no cash, just T-shirts, but there were 16 teams. I expect more this year.

A pay-out would be nice, but just competing for bragging rights is fun enough. Oh, and the smokers are inside the beer garden, so we have that going for us.

Suggest you bring a canopy, main street runs East-West. Depending on where you set up, it gets hot and sunny. Course if this weird weather keeps up, who knows.

Again, as far as I know, this will be the format again this year. The organizer wants to get together in June to get details worked out. I'll post more when I know more.
              Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

Originally posted by new smoke View Post
                Not a whole lot to tell. They give you one rack of ribs, BB ususally, and you work your magic on them. Turn in at like 4 PM and they have a panel of locals judge them. Last year no cash, just T-shirts, but there were 16 teams. I expect more this year.

A pay-out would be nice, but just competing for bragging rights is fun enough. Oh, and the smokers are inside the beer garden, so we have that going for us.

Suggest you bring a canopy, main street runs East-West. Depending on where you set up, it gets hot and sunny. Course if this weird weather keeps up, who knows.

Again, as far as I know, this will be the format again this year. The organizer wants to get together in June to get details worked out. I'll post more when I know more.
                are we supposed to pre-register, or do we just show up with the smokers?
                Current babies:
                Former Lineup:

Comment

Yes, I have a save-the-date postcard at home, I think there is a # on there. I'll get back to you on that one.

are we supposed to pre-register, or do we just show up with the smokers?
                  Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

http://www.syracusene.com/tourism_germanfest.asp

okay okay... it's not a cookoff (technically)
                    Later,
                    Andy

No it's not.. But it does involve Viener Dog Racing, Beer and Polka... That's good enough for me..
                    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I would like to turn this one into an actual comp. I may bring it up to the organizer and see what he says. I don't know if it would work. Would have to relocate it if it is going to be a two day comp, as it shuts down the downtown, main street. Would be cool, though.
                      Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

throw up some info about this... i might have to throw Wu's drum in the truck... hint hint...
                        It sounds like fun...a rib cook off sounds like a blast. But I just checked the dates and my wife will be out of town that weekend in Chicago...so I will be holding down the fort with the kids that weekend. Sorry guys
                        KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

I hear ya' on the scheduling conflicts. I've been having to jungle schedules for the summer already.

No worries.

Originally posted by wutang View Post
                          It sounds like fun...a rib cook off sounds like a blast. But I just checked the dates and my wife will be out of town that weekend in Chicago...so I will be holding down the fort with the kids that weekend. Sorry guys
                          Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
                            That's fine... we can throw all the kids in the back of the truck and head on down. Mandy is going to be here too, but she says I need to lug her down there too... she said I made it sound "too fun"...
                            Current babies:
                            Former Lineup:

Comment

Looks like quite an event. Will have to keep it on the calendar and see how things pan out.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X