UDS Deflector Fab Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UDS Deflector Fab Time

OK, the UDS Deflector poll got me to thinking.

Anyhow, guess I'll try to make a deflector. What I have readily available is either the top lid of an old drum that I can take a torch to and get the right size and burn some holes.

Or, I got a few of these old 14" planting disks. Thicker metal, domed and a they already have a center punched 3/4" square hole like this;

What I want to know is what size of holes am I looking to burn or drill in here? Or is it a matter of trial and error because each drum is so different. My drum is just your standard run of the mill 55 gallon steel barrel. Don't have a weber lid yet or even a second rack. So also, at what height is this deflector to be installed?
    sigpic

Remember a second function of the deflector is to STOP GREASE from running into the fire... Those discs ain't gonna do that either way. Well, lessin' ya weld the hole up and place it concave side up.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
      What I want to know is what size of holes am I looking to burn or drill in here? Or is it a matter of trial and error because each drum is so different.
      I think it's pretty much trial and error not so much because each drum is different, but just because you'll have to decide for yourself what an acceptable tradeoff is between controllability, flavor, and decreased burn time.

Smaller (or no) holes in the middle and larger ones on the outside is what a lot of people do. I think the ones on the outside of mine are 7/8"

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
      at what height is this deflector to be installed?
      Mine sits on some expanded metal which is 15" from the bottom of the drum. The expanded metal sits on another set of bolts. When I am grilling, I'll set the charcoal basket on the expando. Works great and is very versatile.

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Yea, I figured I would more than likely need to cover that hole in the middle. So I guess after chores are done today I'll go out and start making some holes, 7/8's" as recommended around the edge and see what we get. Hopefully it won't be dark when I get that far. Lots of chores today and a lot added to the list. A series of storms come through here last night and we got tree limbs down all over. Looks like my 12 year old pecan tree is toast, so future firewood there. Crazy thing about the storms, that pecan tree and the oaks took all the damage. The weak cherry and apple trees only lost some very small limbs. Getting ready to go look at wheat fields, softball size hail came through here, not a good picture I have in my mind of that wheat.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X