Minor UDS Tweaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor UDS Tweaks

I never really did like the way the Weber lid sealed on my drum. Even though I used the top lip of a donor kettle bottom, I evidently tweaked it when I was bolting it in place and the lid would rock a bit and let some smoke escape.

Well, I came across some leftover stove rope and cement in the garage and figured it was time to fix it.

So I wirewheeled some of the loose stuff off

and applied another bead of the gasket cement

and put another layer of stove rope around the lip.

Had a bit of a problem where the ends came together but I figure out I can trim that later.

It's curing now but I'm hoping it will seal better.

Oh . . . and I also added some more holes to my deflector plate.

Here it is inside the drum.

I may light a small batch of charcoal and put the plate over the basket to eliminate the remainder of the Teflon coating.

Thanks for looking.

Dave
    Last edited by DDave; 05-21-2011, 03:21 PM.
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Good man, I see ya got a step drill bit. Life saver they are, right up there with a reaming bit.
    sigpic

Comment

LOL you love that deflector plate haha is yours about heat or stopping grease from dripping the fire? Because im not thinking its stopping much grease?

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
        LOL you love that deflector plate haha is yours about heat or stopping grease from dripping the fire? Because im not thinking its stopping much grease?
        I never really worried too much about center to edge temp variations. It's mostly about stopping temp spikes when I remove the lid. Just something to interrupt the air flow when the lid is removed. Helps keep the temp from creeping up over the course of a long cook.

It does catch a fair amount of grease though but obviously not all of it. That was not my initial intent, but it does help I am trying to recover burn time by adding the holes. I'd still like to get 12 hours + out of a single load of fuel.

Dave
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
          I never really worried too much about center to edge temp variations. It's mostly about stopping temp spikes when I remove the lid. Just something to interrupt the air flow when the lid is removed. Helps keep the temp from creeping up over the course of a long cook.

It does catch a fair amount of grease though but obviously not all of it. That was not my initial intent, but it does help I am trying to recover burn time by adding the holes. I'd still like to get 12 hours + out of a single load of fuel.

Dave
          So it has cut your burn times down? Dont like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
            So it has cut your burn times down? Dont like that.
            Yeah, that's why I put the holes in it to let a little more heat through. I can still easily do ribs or even butts on it, but it would be cutting it close if I had a brisket that needed 16 hours.

I used to get 16+ on 3/4 of a basket. When I tried a full basket, I'd have issues with the ash build up but that was with the Kingsford Comp briquettes. I think with RO lump (much less ash) and the Auber blower (puts in much more air than natural draft) I probably could safely burn a full basket without issues. That coupled with the holes letting more of the heat through will get me back to a burn time I'll be happy with.

This Saturday, I'm going to do a couple of butts with the Auber and a full basket of RO lump to see how it goes.

Dave
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            -

Comment

Working...
            X