Todays Chuckie Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todays Chuckie Smoke

Well today I smoked up 3 chuckies that were destined to be pulled and turned into burrito's. Starting off it was great, light wind from the south about 45 degrees and sunny, just like the weatherman said and I was shocked. Then an hour in, the wind picked up and switched to the east at about 20 and it got cloudy. Didn't make me or the smoker happy. Almost when it came to foil them up I got called off on some emergency tractor work. So I gave instructions to my wife on how to finish them, rest them and get pics. Well she finished them but forgot the picture part. She thinks thats crazy anyhow. While I was gone my 2 boys, thier wives and all 5 grandkids showed up. When I got back just after 8 tonight, I got 1 burrito and all my adult beverages were drank. So, all I have is these 2 pics of the smoke in progress. The 1 burrito was fantastic. The meat was just spicy enough to let ya know, water or something was needed, then the salsa would kick ya. The meat was juicy and had a decent smoke ring from what I could see on my burrito strips.

Smoked it all in my offset, using RO Lump. The wood I chose today was mesquite and cherry. I used mustard on these which I don't normally due.

First pic, as they went on, the smoker was putting out the TBS at 215 degrees;

Second pic, a few hours in and they were hovering at 145, smoker settled in right at 210 still;

sigpic

I can't decide if your grates have "seen better days" or are perfectly seasoned.
    Chuckies look good.

Tom

Comment

Them chuckies do look good!
      2-22.5'' weber
      1-18'' weber
      1 smokey joe
      22.5'' wsm
      24'' smoke vault
      1-outhouse
      Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
      Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Well thank you Bill. The fun hasn't stopped. After I posted that I was all set to take a shower and go to bed. Then came a knock on the door and it was the Sheriff. They said that my fence was down and I had about 75 cows out and 1 was dead. So out the door I went. Wasn't even my cattle or fence. It was the guy down the street that leases the land. But we got them all put up before he even got there. I guess it never occurred to anybody that I don't have any dairy cows. The fun just keeps on coming. So now I got the shower in and am just relaxing. One of them burritos and beverages sure would be nice right about now. It would go with the rain showers real nice that just rolled in.
        sigpic

Comment

Slinger, those grates are about 7 years old and well seasoned. They have been through the ringer thats for sure. Marinated them chuckies overnight with a special Worcestershire, beef broth plus to special additives that I never tell. Then rubbed them down for 4 hours wih a salt/pepper/garlic rub, a little Montana Steak rub, a brown sugar rib mix of mine and then topped them off with some Old Southern rub. After the smoke and rest they get pulled and my wife works some taco and burrito seasoning into it and steams the meat just enough to work the flavor through. Then we put the burrito patties on the grill for a few seconds to give them the taste, slap on some homemade refried beans, some green chili sauce, a little meat some homemade salsa, both hot and hotter, although we do have some really pitiful mild stuff for the grandkids. After that its time to enjoy the food and grab some beverages to cool the inards a little. Kinda nice when you can feel the temp of your body rise and sweat from the top of the skull to your feet after that salsa kicks in.

We do this every year regardless of the weather on April 1. Kind of a special thing in our family. That was my original outdate 20+ years ago from the military but April Fools came and they kept me for 6 more months. Oldest son came along and the Army did the samethin on the same day and kept him for a year. Youngest son must have felt left out, he got whacked for 3 more months a year later, then he screwed up and asked for another year, they let him stay 7 months instead. What a fool, but I am proud of him and his service.
          sigpic

Comment

Sounds like you had an interesting day anyway. The chuckies look good. Too bad we didn't get to see the rest of the process. Sounds like a fine meal.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Yea this is what happens when you count on somebody other than yourself to finish a job. Great news is I have several more chuckies in the freezer waiting their turn.
              sigpic

Comment

What a day! Sounds like you were keeping busy!
                The chucks look great!
                jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Chuckies are lookin good!!
                  I don't mind emergency tractor work for time to time, but chasin cows is a whole different story!
                  "and all my adult beverages were drank".....WTF?????
                  Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
                  http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

Looks Great, big fans of the Chuckies here!
                    sigpic

Comment

Hey David,

Good looking chucks. How's the knee. Great smoke.
                      SCOTT

Comment

Hey Grothe, some people have no respect for the host and then your family comes along with their treatment. Chasing cows ain't to bad either, unless you turn an ankle or run a cow into a moving car, that sucks. Also sucks when they ain't yours, but I said that already.

Scott, how the heck are ya old man? Chuckies were good. Settled the knee thing and got some cash, not much but it was what it is. I ended up repping myself when I found out it wouldn't be much. A lesson in that one, don't recover to quick. Anyhow, got me a part time gig as a press operator at a plastic company. Good job, easy stuff and the company is a heck of a lot better than the garage door place.
                        sigpic

Comment

Your chuckies look awesome!
                          Bummer you did not get that second burrito.. thanks for the history about chuckies and April Fools day! Above all thank you and your sons, for your service! Sounds like the gent down the street should be swinging by with some adult beverages for ya!!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Nice thread David. Sounds like a full day.
                            I gotta admit, me and the family woulda had a goin around if after all that work on the meat and then the emergencies and they drank all your booze and most of the meat! Somebodies gonna get beetched out! That just aint right.
                            Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

My friend with the dairy cows got a chewing from the Sheriff. For me he is bringing up his backhoe and doing me a favor. My sons are doing the shovel and cement work. I am finally getting a floor and water line into my little barn. Gonna be a nice place, especially next winter when I won't have to run from there to the house or big barn to take care of business. If I would have known this is all it took to get a floor and water line I would have smoked the chuckies and let them cows out myself a long time ago.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X